MRB Attack - Take 2.04

Share your best strategies and tactics with other players by posting them here.

Moderator: MOD_Flashpoint

rjlee

RE: MRB Attack - Take 2.04

Post by rjlee »

Nothing useful to add, but Iron Mike Golf: just wanted to say that I'm really enjoying your walkthrough of the Soviet offensive template. Have recently finished Baxter's "Soviet Airland Battle Tactics" and am now doing a cover-to-cover read of the old FM 100-2-* manuals for a doctrine refresh, and your scenarios and AARs are very helpful in placing these (otherwise rather theoretical) maneuver concepts in the context of the game engine. Still trying to figure out what the shake-out from the march into a line formation looks like in-game at this scale (maybe it manifests itself just as a slowing of movement?).
IronMikeGolf

Post by IronMikeGolf »

rjlee, I might do this again on a larger map (and 2.05) so we can see the whole MRB from the beginning of the scenario. In game terms, I am thinking it is the Main Body in column to line companies going to a 3 hex wide line formation. There would be a slowing down of forward movement to let the trail/rear security company close up and deploy in front.

While in column, I suppose the Main Body would move using Deliberate and the CRP and FSE would use Assault, since they would do that upon contact. Once the Main Body is deployed to battle formation, it would go into Assault. The CRP and FSE's task is to have a sufficient read on the enemy disposition to support an assault at that point.

Jeff
Sua Sponte
apd1004

Post by apd1004 »

I'm enjoying reading your AAR's Jeff. I've been out of the scene for a while and this is refreshing to read. I played FCRS when it first came out but put it up after a while. Then I saw this, which now has me re-energized to play again.

I'd be interested to see how this scales up on a larger map to do a reinforced MRR vs a reinforced and task-organized US BN. Then you could game out how Soviet doctrine would work with multiple avenues of approach and how they would search for weaker areas of the defense for exploitation, and also the how to defeat the attack from the US side.

There are no absolutes and of course the situation dictates, but I think in most cases an infantry battalion might have a tank company attached or swapped for one of its infantry companies and if this is a main effort defense then the tank company might be available to counterattack or if the main effort has not been developed yet then the commander may simply attach tank platoons to reinforce his infantry companies.

Anyway, keep up the good work!

Jeff
apd1004
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

The nice thing about this system is that it's extremely versatile. People are just now beginning to scratch the surface of what is possible.

So, as in Jeff's case you can leave for awhile and come back to find all new content and concepts.

I totally agree with him, Keep Up the Good Work!! [&o]

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
IronMikeGolf

Post by IronMikeGolf »

Jeff L,

I live in Akron, too. We just might have to set down with a beverage or two sometime and talk about it.

I have been planning on doing either an MRR or a TR attacking a Bn TF. Thinking mech heavy TF (3 x mech, 1 x tank) organized as 2 mech companies, 1 mech heavy company team and a tank heavy company team. 4.2" plt and a DS battery of M109s. Sct plt. Attached Stinger teams.

Time scale will be 48 hours. Recon battle with Reg Recon 24 hours or so prior to the attack.

Jeff
Sua Sponte
WildCatNL

Post by WildCatNL »

ORIGINAL: Iron Mike Golf
I have been planning on doing either an MRR or a TR attacking a Bn TF. Thinking mech heavy TF (3 x mech, 1 x tank) organized as 2 mech companies, 1 mech heavy company team and a tank heavy company team. 4.2" plt and a DS battery of M109s. Sct plt. Attached Stinger teams.

Time scale will be 48 hours. Recon battle with Reg Recon 24 hours or so prior to the attack.

If you need maneuver space for the recon battle at doctrinal distance ahead of the main force, I have this 40x36km NTC Central Corridor for you...
Regardless, I'm looking forward to another great AAR from you.

William
William
On Target Simulations LLC
IronMikeGolf

Post by IronMikeGolf »

William, I am interested in that!

Might even think about recreating my last rotation there in '87. Light Inf Bn/TF (3 x Rifle Co, 1 x Cav Troop). Main missions were infiltration attack and defending west end of The Valley of Death.
Jeff
Sua Sponte
apd1004

Post by apd1004 »

Jeff L,

I live in Akron, too. We just might have to set down with a beverage or two sometime and talk about it.

No kidding. What are the chances of that. Sounds like a plan.

Yes, that I think would be the ultimate experience. MRB vs CO/TM is a committed fight, whereas the maneuver space to cover the full doctrinal battle at MRR level would force players to make some real decisions.

There was a book called First Clash that came out in the mid 80's. Ever see it? This is exactly what the book covers but with USSR vs Canadian forces in Germany. No T-80's vs M1A1's either, just Leo I's vs. T-72's. I'd like to see it with M60A3's vs. T-64's.

Cheers
apd1004
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

First Clash is one of the books I read when doing the scenarios/campaigns. Good book.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
schmolywar

Post by schmolywar »

Can anyone tell me if those last WPs by the soviets are "assault" orders or deliberate movement?
"The Russian advance over this hastily improvised road, constructed with the aid of the most primitive facilities, was, for a time,accompanied by the strains of band music.".

-Peculiarities of russian warfare
IronMikeGolf

Post by IronMikeGolf »

The stack of waypoints in the last screen shot are artillery missions. Note the highlighted unit in Heidenau. That's a 122mm SP arty unit.
Jeff
Sua Sponte

Return to “The War Room”