Summer Offensive - Oshawott (Axis) vs Griefhead (Russia)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Oshawott

T4 - North

Post by Oshawott »

T4 - North

Looks like Griefhead wants to defend close to Leningrad. I am scouting whether it would make sense to do the right hook or go straight for Novgorod.

Attachments
T4North.jpg
T4North.jpg (411.86 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Oshawott

T4 - Center

Post by Oshawott »

T4 - Center

I am preparing the assault of the land bridge. Vitebsk is the major goal for now followed by Smolensk.

Attachments
T4Center.jpg
T4Center.jpg (583.93 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Oshawott

T4 - South

Post by Oshawott »

T4 - South

Due to the capture of Odessa and Oshakov my troops in the south are in perfect supply. I have numerous Panzer and Motorized divisions with 50 MP. Recon reveals that the crossing at Kremenchug is only defended by one Russian motorized division with almost no fortifications. This division is easily defeated but I am unable to cross the river. In the far south I cross the lower Dnepr.

Attachments
T4South.jpg
T4South.jpg (715.74 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Oshawott

T4 - Overview

Post by Oshawott »

T4 - Overview

An overview of the entire front.

Attachments
T4Overview.jpg
T4Overview.jpg (1.1 MiB) Viewed 426 times
Oshawott

T4 - OOB

Post by Oshawott »

T4 - OOB

Attachments
T4OOB.jpg
T4OOB.jpg (85.52 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Oshawott

T4 - Losses

Post by Oshawott »

T4 - Losses

Attachments
T4Losses.jpg
T4Losses.jpg (43.21 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Flaviusx

RE: T4 - Losses

Post by Flaviusx »

Don't do the right hook, imo. Go through the middle like shit through a goose and do it fast before he can dig in. He has given up way too much ground too fast up north imo. You should have plenty of time to take the direct route and storm across the Neva.

The right hook will take longer and throw your advantage away. You're a half dozen hexes away from Leningrad if you pierce the Luga line post haste.
WitE Alpha Tester
Oshawott

Post by Oshawott »

Don't do the right hook, imo. Go through the middle like **** through a goose and do it fast before he can dig in. He has given up way too much ground too fast up north imo. You should have plenty of time to take the direct route and storm across the Narva.

The right hook will take longer and throw your advantage away. You're a half dozen hexes away from Leningrad if you pierce the Luga line post haste.

That's what I ended up doing. On T5 he had reinforced the Polist so I went for the route I am showing in the picture. I also spotted very weak fortifications behind the first line of defense.

Attachments
T4Novgorod.jpg
T4Novgorod.jpg (97.87 KiB) Viewed 426 times
smokindave34

Post by smokindave34 »

I'd be pulling the 4th panzer army out from AGN at this point - you'll be able to smash through whatever defenses he has in front of Leningrad with just the 16th and 18th armies (your only a few hexes away from isolating Leningrad and you have LOTS of time). Move your panzers south to support the drive on Moscow.
BJP III

Post by BJP III »

ORIGINAL: smokindave34

I'd be pulling the 4th panzer army out from AGN at this point - you'll be able to smash through whatever defenses he has in front of Leningrad with just the 16th and 18th armies (your only a few hexes away from isolating Leningrad and you have LOTS of time). Move your panzers south to support the drive on Moscow.

I would probably keep 4th PzA for 1-2 more turns and try for a coup de main right to the Neva (and maybe across through the back door). Then I'd fill in the corridor with infantry and send 4th PzA to Moscow. I'd rather not give Ivan any chance to strengthen the L-Grad defenses.
Oshawott

Post by Oshawott »

I'll keep 4th Panzer Army north for a little bit longer. The fighting is actually much harder then it looks on the picture. Mostly stacks of three in swamp but definitely some weak spots. Nothing but deliberate attacks though. As soon as I go for a hasty attack it fails.
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

ORIGINAL: Oshawott

I'll keep 4th Panzer Army north for a little bit longer. The fighting is actually much harder then it looks on the picture. Mostly stacks of three in swamp but definitely some weak spots. Nothing but deliberate attacks though. As soon as I go for a hasty attack it fails.

You are getting so close that this is ok. Even if you simply advance a single hex a turn you will be in position to force the Neva with time to spare. I could see you closing this deal by, say, turn 12. And that's a conservative estimate.

If anything, it's AGS that you might consider raiding for panzers. You'll be crossing the Dnepr down there fairly soon and can redirect some of those boys northwards. Kind of a reverse Guderian, that.
WitE Alpha Tester
loki100

Post by loki100 »

as with all your games its great to see a cheese free masterclass in strategic and operational planning.

looks like your emphasis on the flanks has really paid off in terms of disrupting the usual pattern of a game at this stage.

Interesting to see the options suggested above of bringing 4 PzA back south and hooking up north from the Ukraine. If you pull that off you could more than compensate for weakening the centre in your early force allocations.
Oshawott

Post by Oshawott »

You are getting so close that this is ok. Even if you simply advance a single hex a turn you will be in position to force the Neva with time to spare. I could see you closing this deal by, say, turn 12. And that's a conservative estimate.

I think you are right. I'm cautious in the north, maybe too cautious. I hope I will be able to trap a significant number of divisions up there but it might not work out. My current plan is to pull Mansteins Corps out on T9.
If anything, it's AGS that you might consider raiding for panzers. You'll be crossing the Dnepr down there fairly soon and can redirect some of those boys northwards. Kind of a reverse Guderian, that.

Yes, tanks from AGC need to go north again. I am currently trying to figure out how to do that and what route to take. The Pripyat marshes will be cut off by infantry T9 so I don't have to worry about that anymore.
Oshawott

Post by Oshawott »

as with all your games its great to see a cheese free masterclass in strategic and operational planning.

looks like your emphasis on the flanks has really paid off in terms of disrupting the usual pattern of a game at this stage.

Interesting to see the options suggested above of bringing 4 PzA back south and hooking up north from the Ukraine. If you pull that off you could more than compensate for weakening the centre in your early force allocations.

Thanks, loki. I think with masterclass you give me too much credit. Goofy mistakes are about to be displayed in this game. The first five turns were pretty much all planned out in my head with the supply grid all written down on paper so that I knew where to place my HQs for best possible supply. But now it gets much more difficult to do anything. And the vast space of Russia doesn't help in my efforts. It's tough to make a fist if hundreds of miles of front line are covered by a couple of infantry divisions. It's T8 now, my army is disorganized and I need to figure out a good strategy for encircling Moscow. It looks to me that he puts all his efforts in defending Moscow. I believe, however, that I will be able to achieve the historical front line plus Leningrad before blizzard and this is really all I am shooting for.
Callistrid

Post by Callistrid »

a good strategy for encircling Moscow. It looks to me that he puts all his efforts in defending Moscow. I believe, however, that I will be able to achieve the historical front line plus Leningrad

Concentrate your forces against Moscow. If the russian can't or don't want to run, his armies can be encircled. Cause hard damage, even if you take high casulties to, because a strong soviet can beat well fortified germans.
To survive the blizzard turns, you need to cause min. 3,5-3,7 million casulties before T24.
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

Yeah, I wouldn't worry so much about pocketing up north, just get Leningrad out of the way ASAP.
WitE Alpha Tester
HITMAN202

Post by HITMAN202 »

I'm pulling for Goodgrief, but good grief, there is no depth in AGC or AGN defense (if the recon is complete) no early D line east of Smolensk and way too many units in AGS. I see no Sec units up front or many pissy (sorry, that's how I feel about them) armour brigades around to ring up German attrition losses. Goodgrief is facing some major grief coming down the pike.
WITE is a good addiction with no cure.
Oshawott

Post by Oshawott »

Actually, he uses airborne brigades, security regiments, and tank and motorized divisions very effectively to slow down my advance. The airborne brigades are very annoying because they don't route. Many of them are dead now however. He has caused me a lot of grief with those units to continue your word game. [:)]
Oshawott

Post by Oshawott »

To survive the blizzard turns, you need to cause min. 3,5-3,7 million casulties before T24.

If I get 1.5 million POW I will be satisfied. More would be better of course.

Return to “After Action Reports”