Work in progress: WWI Mod The Great Carnage (Western Front 1914)

The team behind the award-winning game Advanced Tactics is back with a new and improved game engine that focuses on the decisive early days of World War II! Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris is the first in an innovative series of operational World War II wargames that also include a strategic element. The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris simulates Germany’s military successes in Poland and France in 1939 and 1940 (including also a hypothetical “Sea Lion” invasion of Great Britain).

Moderator: Vic

Metatron

Work in progress: WWI Mod The Great Carnage (Western Front 1914)

Post by Metatron »

[center]Image[/center]

Hi all.

With the centenary of the beginning of the First World War I decided to make a mod with the DC engine. Since Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris already had part of the map needed for a western front scenario I decided to use it instead of Case blue editor where I would have had to make the map from scratch. It is my first real modding with the DC engine so my progress is sometimes a little bit slow but I made some good progress. I'll share a few pictures here and make some remarks. Then I'll make a approximate to-do list to complete the scenario.

The German armies ready to attack towards Liege into Belgium:

The Verdun-Metz area (with light blue Bavarian troops in the corner):

The Vosges and Alsatian plain:

The unit graphic style:

Remarks:
- as you can maybe see the lowest HQ level is not the army corps but the division,
- German army is composed of Garde, Prussian German, Saxon, Baden, Württemberg, and Bavarian (bavarian get their own color) troops.
- graphics are based on the terrain mod by Kiddytoto
- the map is now almost as big as the case blue map with ample room in France to manoeuvre (you can see the mini map), original case yellow map parts also reworked to correspond to 1914 setting (some canals did not exist for example), much more little rivers and modded terrain; map work based on german and french general staff maps
- massive amount of units with a regiment/battalion level scenario (almost 3500 subunits on the map right now)

The scenario Westfront 1914 will stretch from August 5th to November 5th (1 day turns), covering the frontier battles up to a possible stalemate and a race to the sea, depending on how players would progress.

There is a lot work to do to finish the scenario, so here is a non exhaustive to do list:
- correct the Belgian supply problem
- insert naval transport for BEF
- finish implementing german air units, correct the air movement for air units
- finish implementing units description
- add all generals + their graphics
- add all immobile fort units
- redefine all combat stats
- test the damage of artillery against structure to define stats of the super heavy German artillery
- research belgian OOB to correct it (right now I've used the 1913 theoretical mobilisation army structure but it wasn't fully implemented by 1914 so many units were mobilised according to the 1904 mobilisation structure)
- new command cards
- rework the scenario settings and description
- rework the political pts and strategical cards
- rework events
- rework the Dyle plan points, into a French Plan XVII point system, maybe the same for german side
- add the reinforcement for both sides, probably through cards. See how to implement the required transfer of troops from western to eastern front for the german side (mostly early on XI Armeekorps and Garde Reserve Korps)
- a lot of testing of course...

That was a quick presentation of the ongoing work. I'd be happy to answer questions or share more pictures if someone is interested. I'll post updates on my progress from time to time.
-There is safety in numbers.
-Well there is also death in numbers. It's called a massacre.
Sensei.Tokugawa

RE: Work in progress: WWI Mod The Great Carnage (Western Front 1914)

Post by Sensei.Tokugawa »

Wow, a great mod in the making as it seems. Keep it up.
"-What if one doesn't make it?
-Then we know he was no good for SpetsNaz. ..."
V. Suvorov, "Spetsnaz;the Story behind the Soviet SAS"

...No escape from Passchendaele .../ God Dethroned, "Passiondale"

Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

An impressive project. Good luck!
gabeeg

Post by gabeeg »

Looking forward to see this one come out. Thanks!
Kind Regards,

Harry
Vic

Post by Vic »

Looks nice!

If you need any advice on scripting events drop me a line at vic@xs4all.nl

Best wishes,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
Metatron

Post by Metatron »

Half update, half development diary:

Vacation plus a lot of work IRL in September means I only made slow progress. So I've been working on better understanding the event editor, solving in the process the supply bug I had with Belgium.

The map is a continuous work in progress since it is enormous, there are always little things to improve: I changed the Argonne area and the Meuse Hights east of Verdun and added the Vimy ridge area.

I added most of the units description and started the combat stats and landscape influence testing.

I started with DC vanilla stats but there was several problems. Artillery doesn't have a ammunition limitation is DC1 so artillery was far to powerful, within a few days of artillery bombardment infantry regiment would get wrecked, so I had to lower artillery efficiency, while keeping the advantage of heavier artillery. I'm still looking at anti-structure damage and how many structure points to give to forts. Will be an entire separate testing process. Another problem was that DC1 vanilla infantry was mainly defence oriented. Meaning that tactical defence was much more powerful than tactical offence, which his historical accurate but just not fun to play! The problem is that for a August-November 1914 scenario much of the offensive capabilities has to come from the infantry and bogged down trench fights by August 9th would just not be fun to play. So I had to considerably strengthen infantry offensive capabilities, mainly on clear terrain. I'm only slowly progressing on balancing the combat stats. I'll be conducting a full scale test in October to see how the stats right now work. With some 3500 subunits to move for one turn it is really, really, really time consuming ! (a 2 or 7 German player variant should clearly be a part of the scenario). Historically the French army had some 400 000 to 500 000 losses between August to November so that's the sweet spot I'm going for.

I also started the graphics for leaders, that's the style I'm using, I've done the generla headquarters and amry commanders for now, you can plya a who is who ^^, but I still have a lot of generals to do. With some 70 army corps generals and more than 140 division generals. That is not counting the numerous changes in leadership between august and November that has to be include eventually (mostly on French side, for example Pétain would only be visible in game when he got division commander on august 31st and army corps commander on October 22nd, other changes like army commanders or Falkenhayn replacing Moltke in September are rather important and will be added into the scenario at some point)
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

And here and image of the strategic map to give you and idea of the size of the map ^^ (link between France and England is temporary for testing until I get the naval transports into the game)
wodin

Post by wodin »

@Metatron I honestly feel the DC3 engine will be pretty much perfect for a WW1 game and the new features will solve alot of issues games have when trying to do WW1 with a WW2 game engine.

I have extensive WW1 knowledge and obsessed with the conflict, maybe we should approach Vic in doing a WW1 game using the DC3 engine?
Sensei.Tokugawa

So how's this project going? ...

Metatron

Post by Metatron »

Slow progress but it will be done eventually.

Did mostly smaller but time consuming things, like adding all the descriptions to the SFtypes, adding the reinforcement for the months of August, September and October (not totally finished with the German reinforcements and for now the reinforcement are on the map instead of being added by cards or events), continued small tweaks on the map (did correct for example the forts and terrain in the Epinal and Belfort fortified areas), did battle testing to adjust combat values but not done by a mile, found that you can add the ammunition stat to artillery in DC:TBWBP editor so that's great but I now need to rechange the artillery stats I had nerfed to adjust, added indian-north african-marines etc people types, working on the german airforces, I redid the german initial german deployment (mostly of 7. 6. 5. 4. and 3. Armee) to make for more realistic frontier battles, etc

I still have the belgian supply problem that makes me crazy but I'll probably ask vic for help on that one.

@wodin: I talked with vic about DC3 engine, but before that is a consideration I'll need to produce a somewhat functional scenario on the DC1 to make it worth it to change the engine associated to the scenario/mod

And because I'm crazy and optimistic I took a week-end to make the basis (photoshop based hexes on a 5km per hex map on which I can draw raods, terrain types, rivers etc before entering the entire thing manually into the editor) for a Ostfront map, a 235x265 map (approx. 5km² per hexagone) which goes from Latvia to the Romanian Carpathian Mountains (see below) but that is a crazy project for later when I'm done with the western front scenario [X(]

Metatron

Post by Metatron »

sorry double post
Sensei.Tokugawa

Awesome. [&o]And the Eastern Front in planning [8|]

Steelwarrior7

Post by Steelwarrior7 »

Still any progress - anything to be downloaded?
Metatron

Post by Metatron »

Progress slowing down because of IRL workload (should start my PhD this year or beginning of next). Have been working on generals lately (graphics and descriptions) and continuing battle testing.

First playable version without reinforcements should come when supply bugs are corrected, all fort garnisons are in game and generals/staffs set.

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris”