The research bonus wonders--odd behavior, is it a bug?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

morik

The research bonus wonders--odd behavior, is it a bug?

Post by morik »

Not sure what the intended behavior is, but the current behavior seems odd.

I build a research wonder with +50% to high tech, for instance.

It doesn't take effect. (All my scientists are at a location with +29% high tech, not at the world that built this wonder.)

That is fine.

I transfer all my scientists to a research facility above that world, thinking maybe the bonus counts as a location bonus.

Now the bonus shows up, separately from the normal bonuses (its where empire-wide bonuses, like genius, or tech bonus from repairing abandoned ships goes). Shows 50%, has taken effect.

That is fine... maybe I have to have scientists there to get the bonus?

Except to test I transfered them all away back to the location bonus place... and get both that location bonus + the wonder research bonus now.

So, why do I have to temporarily xfer a scientist (next wonder I xfered just 1 and it activated; had waited ~1 year after building, still hadn't activated, sent scientist, activated it)?
I assume the intention is either for it to give the bonus no matter what (should activate without xferring), or that you have to have at least one scientist there (should de-activate when last scientist is xferred away).
Skasski

RE: The research bonus wonders--odd behavior, is it a bug?

Post by Skasski »

You don't need to transfer scientists there. The +50% bonus just takes some time to show up. Maybe there's a bug with the research menu numbers not updating properly though.
Nanaki

Post by Nanaki »

Also note that pirates do not get the research bonus at all, it seems.
I ate the batter of the bulge at Hans' Haus of Luftwaffles
morik

Post by morik »

So it is possible that the bonus was being applied, but wasn't showing up until I did something to cause the numbers to update (e.g., xfer a scientist)?

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”