Aircobra or Warhawk

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

BattleMoose

Aircobra or Warhawk

Post by BattleMoose »

Hi,

In my current game I have ample stocks of both aircobras and warhawks but cannot really decide which aircraft I prefer. Which aircraft do you find gives better performance, preference?
LoBaron

RE: Aircobra or Warhawk

Post by LoBaron »

Depends on whether you play with the modified stats or stock, but as a rule of thumb I would rate P40B/P39D about equal, while the P40E suffers a bit from the increased weight added by guns and armor.

In general though I suggest you equally spread the distribution throughout all types, to remove the pressure from the pools. The replacement rate is not high enough to focus on a specific type in combat situations, and the performance difference is marginal.
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

Can´t really point to any specifics but I prefer the P39. Playing with Symons latest AC files it feels like they are doing better against Stratosweeping Zeroes.
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

The 37 MM gun can do some damage on merchant ships.....
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

Can´t really point to any specifics but I prefer the P39. Playing with Symons latest AC files it feels like they are doing better against Stratosweeping Zeroes.

I really think it's the cannons.
rook749

Post by rook749 »

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

Playing with Symons air mods, IMHO the P-39D is a better option than than the P-40E. The the only advantages the P-40E have are:

1) You slightly get more of them per month.
2) Better Endurance.
3) Better Range on a re base mission.
4) More accurate but less destructive weapon.

Attachments
P40E_P39D.jpg
P40E_P39D.jpg (144.16 KiB) Viewed 77 times
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: LoBaron
replacement rate is not high enough to focus on a specific type in combat situations, and the performance difference is marginal.
+1

From the IJ side, I see no difference to speak of. Pilot EXP is far more determining than the difference between these two planes.
Pax
leehunt27@bloomberg.net

Post by leehunt27@bloomberg.net »

I agree with the point about distributing them both across squadrons, so that you can keep up the high quantity of fighters pressuring the Japanese...
John 21:25
BattleMoose

Post by BattleMoose »

Thanks for all the responses. It appears its much of a muchness.

I never intended using one frame to the exclusion of the other. But intending to use the "better" airframe in areas that I was prioritising.
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

I'd pay more attention to the pilot exp/skill in the units you prioritise ... and the group leader skills ... more difference than choosing between those two planes. They are equally good in their timeframe.
Pax
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

I'd pay more attention to the pilot exp/skill in the units you prioritise ... and the group leader skills ... more difference than choosing between those two planes. They are equally good in their timeframe.

I've had similar pilots and leaders, and although I'm not playing with Symon's changes, I disagree...

I really think that the P-39's cannon makes hits that for the P-40 would be "A6M2 Zero damaged" into "A6M2 destroyed"... And it's a CL cannon, too.

It's not so much about the speed, or the maneuver. It's about living through attacks from the Zero, and then landing a hit in return. All of that is comparable. The main difference is the punch of the guns on the two aircraft. If the hit kills the Zero it's way better than a hit that just damages a Zero and maybe doesn't even drive it from the fight.
btd64

Post by btd64 »

good point Lokasenna. Although I have to admit, I can't wait for the next upgrade....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna
ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

I've had similar pilots and leaders, and although I'm not playing with Symon's changes, I disagree...

I really think that the P-39's cannon makes hits that for the P-40 would be "A6M2 Zero damaged" into "A6M2 destroyed"... And it's a CL cannon, too.

It's not so much about the speed, or the maneuver. It's about living through attacks from the Zero, and then landing a hit in return. All of that is comparable. The main difference is the punch of the guns on the two aircraft. If the hit kills the Zero it's way better than a hit that just damages a Zero and maybe doesn't even drive it from the fight.
Maybe.

I've never seen much difference between the two from the IJ side ... or better to say sometimes the P39 are a pain, other times the P40. That's all I'm saying. And again, from my persepctive, the A6M is so fragile, .303 brownings can kill it let alone a 37mm shell. Pretty sure a ruby throated hummingbird 'buzzed' one of mine once and put it the ground as well ... [:D]
Pax
rook749

Post by rook749 »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

+ 1 This has been my experiences as well with Symon's changes though September of 1942. 50+ Exp, 70+ Air and 70+ Def skill pilots seems shoot down more planes and cause more operational losses than the P-40E with the same level of pilots.

Return to “The War Room”