Complexity

The newest game by Ageod, set during The Great War.

Moderator: Pocus

tgb

Complexity

Post by tgb »

I'm tempted to get this but have a question on complexity. For some reason I could never get my head around Aegeod's Civil War titles.

For those who have both, how dies this compare to Civil War I or II?
ETF

RE: Complexity

Post by ETF »

I would suggest just as complex if not more. Mind you they are no where near the fun as WITPAE :)
My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer
wosung

Post by wosung »

ORIGINAL: tgb

I'm tempted to get this but have a question on complexity. For some reason I could never get my head around Aegeod's Civil War titles.

For those who have both, how dies this compare to Civil War I or II?

Complexity like Civil War II:

- Counter pushing: Like AACW2. I don't know which map is bigger. (Edit: both, AACW2 and EAW have more than 3.000 regions). More fronts than AACW2. And off-map boxes, two global hemispheres.
- Stack management: Easier than AACW. No 18 element divs. But corps with 2 divs.
- New, but easy to handle features: Diplomacy, research.
wosung
Ostwindflak

Post by Ostwindflak »

This game definitely feels more streamlined than CW2. I like CW2 a lot, but at times it felt a bit clunky. This game IMO runs smoother than CW2 and is pretty easy to dive into if you have previous experience with these types of games.
Templer_12

Post by Templer_12 »

I would address the complexity between Civil War II and Pride of Nations.

Brief review of complex games.
With my valuable time, in my limited free time, I want to deal seriously with something, immerse myself in something.
Games with a complexity on the level of Tic Tac Toe, are stealing my time!
FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

So, what does that mean? None of the AGEOD games are on the tic-tac-toe level. I am almost convinced that TEAW will be an excellent game, and I am just about to pull out the wallet and buy this puppy. We'll see if my meager brain can make sense of global warfare. I can't wait to play and try my best!
Rekm41

Post by Rekm41 »

I am leaning on the buy side of the fence as well. Looks like a good game and TBH my knowledge of WWI is not as good as WWII so from a learning standpoint it would be a good experience.
Keep Moving and Keep your Head DOWN!!
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

This is just me, but I've enjoyed this game more than any of the others. I have pretty much all of the other Ageod/Athena titles except Birth of Rome and another AJE expansion and I look at their icons and think I want to play them, then I just don't do it. This game started out that way, but after a few turns I was pretty immersed and wanting to play more.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
ETF

Post by ETF »

I would certainly recommend a purchase. That being said it is your typical grand strategic AGEOD wargame. Easier than the WITP franchise. I would rate is on the same complexity of ACW II or PON.....with a bit better UI.
My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter
tgb

Post by tgb »

I've played the tutorial and messed around with it while reading the manual. I like the fact that the Entente has been split into two separate playable factions - it makes the game more manageable. I also like that Aegeod is attempting to introduce diplomacy and a tech tree. While not as deep as the rest of the game, it's a move in the right direction, imo.

freeboy

Post by freeboy »

can one play both entente sides if they choose too?
"Tanks forward"
Jones944

Post by Jones944 »

ORIGINAL: freeboy

can one play both entente sides if they choose too?
Absolutely, though it requires one to first load one Entente side, play, save. Then load the other Entente side, play, save. Then process the turn after both sides have been saved.
"Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war" - William Shakespeare, "Julius Caesar"
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

It's been easier for me than CW2. Not quite as many units running around to confuse me, so far and they're all going in one direction, too!
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
Metatron

Post by Metatron »

More units but not that complicated if you're used to ageod games. Mostly a question of frontage a stack building.
-There is safety in numbers.
-Well there is also death in numbers. It's called a massacre.
ETF

Post by ETF »

It would be nice to try MP games in a online rather than the old 1980's PBEM....just as an option. It would be nice to maybe even add a few other player slots. IMHO.

Twitter
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

ORIGINAL: ETF

It would be nice to try MP games in a online rather than the old 1980's PBEM....just as an option. It would be nice to maybe even add a few other player slots. IMHO.

Yes, Ageod truly needs to get to the point of being able to play directly online against a human opponent. That would be an awesome development.
Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

ORIGINAL: ETF

I would certainly recommend a purchase. That being said it is your typical grand strategic AGEOD war game. Easier than the WITP franchise. I would rate is on the same complexity of ACW II or PON.....with a bit better UI.

Just bought the game last night (8/29/14). The First World War is a very complex and fascinating subject; am looking forward to learning the game. Play time is a challenge, though, as I am working my way through an AE Iron man campaign. But - will make the time (as we all do).

I like AGEOD's games and approach - have no doubt that it will be good; and only get better as time goes on (mods, patches).

Mac
LAV-25 2147
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

with the menu options changed, you can make it less complex, easier or harder for that matter
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)

Return to “To End All Wars Series”