Avian aggression leads to murder most fowl - Sqz(A) vs. Chickenboy(J)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

SqzMyLemon

March 30/42 Update

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Well, I saw something I've never seen before from a Dutch submarine, heck any submarine for that matter. A little payback for CV Saratoga.

AAR follows:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack near Trincomalee at 34,47

Japanese Ships
CV Kaga, Torpedo hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
DD Amatsukaze
DD Tatsuyuke

Allied Ships
SS KXIII

SS KXIII launches 4 torpedoes at CV Kaga

No sinking sounds or Japanese carrier aircraft Ops losses. I'll remain somewhat skeptical on whether she'll sink. Until I get confirmation, I'm thinking the four hits might be FOW.

Thoughts:

I'll update India soon. SIGINT indicates Japanese 15th Army HQ is planning for an attack on Madras. I have not decided to defend Madras yet. Indian units are so inexperienced they'll most likely perform like Chinese units at best. The last thing I want to do is provide easy VP's to Andre, but I also don't want to trash what forces I currently have delaying my eventual counter-offensive. This is new territory for me and I need to see how things develop.

Allied morale remains low despite the possibility of sinking a Japanese CV. I'm going to have to look at creative ways to garner VP's and stay out of further trouble.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
SqzMyLemon

RE: March 29/42 Update

Post by SqzMyLemon »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

Check yours and see if you got any. Not all will make it off the ship, of course, but it's better than 100% losses.

I forgot to check this last turn. I'm kicking myself for not getting those pilots into my pools before she sank. Thanks for letting me know the possibility of some being saved.

Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon

Check yours and see if you got any. Not all will make it off the ship, of course, but it's better than 100% losses.

I forgot to check this last turn. I'm kicking myself for not getting those pilots into my pools before she sank. Thanks for letting me know the possibility of some being saved.

It should be a fair portion. Going from memory here, and I never actually counted, but I think about half the pilots made it off Kaga and all my CVLs, for example... same with the couple of USN CVs I've lost.
koniu

Post by koniu »

It should be a fair portion. Going from memory here, and I never actually counted, but I think about half the pilots made it off Kaga and all my CVLs, for example... same with the couple of USN CVs I've lost.

After You re buy destroyed unit open tracker and find that unit. Open unit pilot window. You should see all pilots that survive they should return with unit.
"Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War"
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: koniu

After You re buy destroyed unit open tracker and find that unit. Open unit pilot window. You should see all pilots that survive they should return with unit.

I've not noticed this, but perhaps it's because I wasn't looking closely enough. Or maybe because I reassigned them before the unit became available again. My bought back units came back completely empty of pilots.
SqzMyLemon

April 3/42 - The Indian Campaign

Post by SqzMyLemon »

I thought I should finally update the situation in India with a screenshot and commentary.

First up is Ceylon. I've written off the island and all Commonwealth troops stationed there. Andre has landed substantial force, upwards of 25 units, and any idea of holding the island is folly. Andre will achieve his goal of destroying all Allied LCU's on Ceylon. I did not reinforce the island beyond what arrives via the OOB. I was able to evacuate an AA Bde., Eastern Fleet HQ and portions of a British RAF base force.

Japanese forces are fanning out along the coast as far as Cuttack in the east, and Cocanada in the west. A Japanese drive on Bezwada has stalled due to the arrival of 23rd Indian Division arriving by rail. The unit was actually deploying to Hyderabad from Madras via rail, but the move was interrupted by the arrival of the Japanese 5th Guards Cavalry Regiment which shocked across the river. A second river crossing by the Japanese 16th Guards Regiment was repulsed. AAR follows:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Bezwada (39,36)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 4360 troops, 48 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 175

Defending force 7193 troops, 108 guns, 98 vehicles, Assault Value = 301

Japanese adjusted assault: 43

Allied adjusted defense: 136

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 3 (fort level 3)

Combat modifiers
Defender: forts(+), op mode(-), preparation(-)
Attacker: shock(+), fatigue(-)

Japanese ground losses:
255 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 22 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled

Allied ground losses:
60 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 10 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Assaulting units:
16th Guards Regiment
5th Guards Cav Regiment

Defending units:
23rd Indian Division

However, another Japanese unit, which I believe to be a full division, could arrive tomorrow. 23rd Indian Division won't hold. Reinforcements are rushing south from Hyderabad, including Australia 7th Division.

Allied air units are deploying to Hyderabad, Calcutta and Bombay. American B-17's hit Vizagapatnam's airfield in an effort to suppress the base and destroy supply. Recon indicates 18% damage to the airbase. AAR follows:

Afternoon Air attack on Vizagapatnam , at 42,37

Weather in hex: Light rain

Raid spotted at 30 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 9 minutes

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 21

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
18 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled

Airbase hits 9
Airbase supply hits 3
Runway hits 25

The biggest problem to date has been weather. Recon indicates Japanese ships docked at Jaffna, which I believe to be the damaged CV Kaga. I've been trying to target the port and airbase, but weather has grounded flights for days. This is allowing the Japanese to consolidate the position and Jaffna's airbase has already expanded to level 3. My window to hit the base relatively undefended has passed as recon indicates 25 Japanese fighters at Jaffna. I won't risk flying my inexperienced 4E's into a heavy CAP as yet.

The Allied plan right now is to forget about Ceylon and contain the Japanese landings on India proper. I don't believe I can hold Bezwada until reinforcements arrive, but will look to recapture the base. In the east, British Blenheim's are tasked with hitting the Japanese unit at Cuttack. The Burma Division, safely recombined and redeployed from Burma, will move to stop any further advance. 18th British Division is currently located at Chittagong, but I won't hesitate to withdraw from the base and move to reinforce Calcutta. I think Andre is looking to bag as many Commonwealth troops as possible. I will simply withdraw to avoid the losses and form a solid defence from which I can mount a successful counter-offensive. I'm about to lose all the restricted units on Ceylon, I will not lose another LCU if I can avoid it.

Things are going to get really interesting. At least Andre has made it possible for me to confront him directly with restricted Allied LCU's and a large portion of Allied air power stationed in India. I have to be extremely careful with the Commonwealth LCU's though. Replacement rates and experience are low which will curtail my ability to fight back effectively in the short term. That being said, it's going to be a blast turning the raw Commonwealth forces into a future Japanese wrecking machine.

Attachments
India.jpg
India.jpg (520.78 KiB) Viewed 78 times

Richard III

RE: April 3/42 - The Indian Campaign

Post by Richard III »

Too bad about Ceylon. I start forts there on T 1 and send all of the Singers at sea Dec. reinforcements convoys there, including 18th. British Div. and the few Hurricanes, and maybe a few of the Rangoon LCU`s if I can get them out. But maybe it just can`t be held in early `42 if they bring enough CV`s and good LCU`s....which is bad news for AFB`s.

What`s really interesting is his landings on the south coast taking that thinly garrisoned West-East road/rail network, haven`t seen that in awhile. Will he go for Madras or Calcutta I wonder ?

Also, could you please list the date in your updates, huge help to us lurkers..[;)] Thanks !
“History would be a wonderful thing – if it were only true.”

¯ Leo Tolstoy
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Richard III

Too bad about Ceylon. I start forts there on T 1 and send all of the Singers at sea Dec. reinforcements convoys there, including 18th. British Div. and the few Hurricanes, and maybe a few of the Rangoon LCU`s if I can get them out. But maybe it just can`t be held in early `42 if they bring enough CV`s and good LCU`s....which is bad news for AFB`s.

What`s really interesting is his landings on the south coast taking that thinly garrisoned West-East road/rail network, haven`t seen that in awhile. Will he go for Madras or Calcutta I wonder ?

Also, could you please list the date in your updates, huge help to us lurkers..[;)] Thanks !
It's hard to see, but the date is in the posting title - April 3/42.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
SqzMyLemon

Post by SqzMyLemon »

ORIGINAL: Richard III

Hi Richard,

I didn't reinforce Ceylon for a reason. Andre likes to take it and doing so would have played right into his hand I think. Andre is all about destroying Allied LCU's for the VP's as he's playing for AV. I believe if I had substantially reinforced Ceylon, he'd simply isolate the island with more extensive landings on India proper and bring whatever would be necessary to eliminate the Allied position. Ceylon would have turned into a POW camp.

I know I will lose Ceylon and what units are there, but this way I still have freedom of movement. I think Ceylon is a potential trap for the Allies, especially if the Japanese player wants it in early 42, as Andre does.

As BBfanboy mentions, I put the date in the subject heading, but can add it to the post instead for easier reference.

SqzMyLemon

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Here's what Andre has committed to India so far.

Vizagapatnam:

5th Tank Regiment
90th Infantry Regiment
5th Amphibious Brigade
3rd RF Gun Battalion
22nd Ind. Engineer Regiment
37th JAAF AF Bn

Cocanada:

2nd Division
2nd Raiding Regiment
16th Guards Regiment
5th Guards Cav Regiment
12th Base Force

Cox's Bazar:

21st Division

Ceylon:

5th Division
38th Division
7th Tank Rgt.
14th Guards Rgt.
143rd Inf. Rgt.
41st Inf. Rgt.
3rd Eng. Const. Bn.
20th Eng. Rgt.
34th Fld. AA Bn.
31st Special BF
4th Eng. Rgt.
15th Eng. Rgt.
23rd Eng. Rgt.

The number of units committed to India so far is telling, totalling six divisions to date. This is a major operation by Andre and where I believe his bid for AV will be decided. This is another reason I did not commit to defending Ceylon. Against these numbers there isn't much I could have done being isolated on Ceylon. That would have left as much of India as Andre was willing to take up for grabs. I believe India is where the game will be decided.

This is how I see things developing. Andre focuses on garnering as many VP's in India as possible. KB will be lurking in the Pacific for a chance to strike the main Allied naval forces conducting operations to recover lost bases and move forward. I think Andre is planning on a knee jerk reaction from me to do something desperate which he will then crush with KB. That's my theory anyway.

This is going to be quite a challenge...

crsutton

Post by crsutton »

You will get virtually all of them (pilots) back eventually. At this stage it is the loss of the aircraft that hurts.

I think that as the Allied player I pretty much welcome an invasion of India. I have become convinced that unless the Japanese player is going for auto victory that moving into Inda is a mistake. I know it looks gloomy in April 42 but the Indian army just gets stronger as time passes. As you mentioned it is a favor for him to allow an attrition battle on another front with many units that will never be allowed out of India due to the PP costs. The big issue in my mind is that the great expenditure of fuel and supply is not sustainable by the Japanese player. They are forced to grind it out in China and to accept another theater where they have to grind will bankrupt the Japanese economy later in the war. Even in the most optimum conditions Japanese fuel stocks are a finite resource. I just start sending American air and tank units, and Australian tank units to India right away. The Australian tank regiments are really the first Allied units to get first class upgrades and India is perfect tank terrain. If Australia is not threatened, why not send them all?
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
SqzMyLemon

Post by SqzMyLemon »

ORIGINAL: crsutton

I think that as the Allied player I pretty much welcome an invasion of India. I have become convinced that unless the Japanese player is going for auto victory that moving into Inda is a mistake.

I can only hope that you are right. [8D]

SqzMyLemon

April 9/42 Update

Post by SqzMyLemon »

The pace of the game has slowed right down again. The last turn from Andre was received on the 11th.

I thought I would update India in the meantime. My plan is to contain the Japanese along the coast and prevent a major penetration inland. SigInt indicates Japanese 15th Army HQ, currently on Ceylon, is prepping for Madras. I believe once Ceylon is secured the majority of the Japanese forces will be committed to the Indian Sub-continent.

I've committed the majority of available forces to securing Bezwada and preventing a move on Hyderabad. The 23rd Indian Division, supported by the 50th Tank Brigade, held Bezwada against assault on 6 April 42. American 4E's were committed to tactical ground support and severely disrupted enemy forces prior to the attack. The adjusted assault odds clearly reflect how effective the bombers were. AAR follows:

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 17335 troops, 181 guns, 87 vehicles, Assault Value = 582

Defending force 8648 troops, 126 guns, 197 vehicles, Assault Value = 402

Japanese adjusted assault: 118

Allied adjusted defense: 989

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 8 (fort level 3)

Combat modifiers
Defender: forts(+), leaders(+), preparation(-), experience(-)
Attacker: disruption(-)

Japanese ground losses:
748 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 75 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 10 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 7 disabled

Allied ground losses:
336 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 53 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled

Assaulting units:
16th Guards Regiment
2nd Division
5th Guards Cav Regiment

Defending units:
50th Tank Brigade
23rd Indian Division

Bezwada will be reinforced by 26th Indian Division, 7th Australian Division, 193rd Tank Bn. and 85th British AT Rgt. next turn. Allied 4E's will again support with ground bombing prior to a Commonwealth deliberate attack.

In the east, the Japanese 5th Tank Rgt. appears to be moving towards Jamshedpur while an unknown unit has railed to Cuttack. My guess is this is the Japanese 90th Infantry Rgt. Blenheim's based at Calcutta are targeting Cuttack to destroy the level 1 airbase and supply. Unless Andre reinforces further, I should have enough forces on hand to move on Cuttack. 18th British Division and 254th Armoured Bde. are located at Jamshedpur and will be reinforced by 6th Australian Division. Howrah is garrisoned by 1st Burma Division. 7th Armoured Bde. is moving to secure Sambalpur.

So far, Allied air has been effective against minimal Japanese interdiction. However, Zero sweeps from Jaffna and LRCAP based at Vizagapatnum will start to allow the Japanese to have more influence in the theatre.

I need to act quickly to take advantage of Andre's deployment on India proper. His forces are spread out and could be defeated in detail, providing I act before additional Japanese reinforcements arrive. I will try to avoid operating along the coast as much as possible because of the threat from naval bombardment, however, the 44th Cavalry Rgt. is moving to cut the railway and isolate Cuttack from further reinforcement. Commonwealth forces are still weak, but gaining in strength daily. I have adequate air units in place and despite the low experience, are proving effective at the moment. Everything will hinge on denying Andre establishing local air superiority to allow my forces freedom of movement while denying him the same.

Tick, tick. tick though. Once Ceylon falls there will be another three Japanese divisions available for operations in India which will make the Allied position that much more difficult. Fun times...

Attachments
India.jpg
India.jpg (468.32 KiB) Viewed 78 times

SqzMyLemon

April 10/42 Update

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Great news in India. Andre launches a deliberate attack against Bezwada just as 7th Australian Division arrives. British Blenheim's soften up the attackers prior to the assault causing further disruption. Over 200 enemy infantry squads are disabled which will weaken this force significantly. AAR follows:

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 16768 troops, 181 guns, 89 vehicles, Assault Value = 541

Defending force 23564 troops, 354 guns, 615 vehicles, Assault Value = 864

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 2

Japanese adjusted assault: 90

Allied adjusted defense: 874

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 9 (fort level 2)

Combat modifiers
Defender: forts(+), preparation(-), experience(-)
Attacker: disruption(-)

Japanese ground losses:
2450 casualties reported
Squads: 8 destroyed, 203 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 22 disabled
Engineers: 3 destroyed, 18 disabled
Guns lost 30 (1 destroyed, 29 disabled)
Vehicles lost 19 (2 destroyed, 17 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
91 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 11 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 5 (1 destroyed, 4 disabled)

Assaulting units:
2nd Division
16th Guards Regiment
5th Guards Cav Regiment

Defending units:
50th Tank Brigade
7th Australian Division
23rd Indian Division
85th British AT Gun Regiment

Japanese reinforcements are spotted moving towards Bezwada, so I've ordered a deliberate attack for next turn to try and rout the Japanese. Allied bombers are ordered to target both Bezwada and the approaching Japanese forces. I miscalculated the movement of both 193rd Tank Bn. and 26th Indian Division so they haven't reached the base yet. Considering the situation, it may be best they didn't as they can reinforce Bezwada if my attack fails to dislodge the Japanese. I expect to see Japanese LRCAP over Bezwada, so Allied air units may take some casualties.

SqzMyLemon

April 11/42 Update

Post by SqzMyLemon »

An Allied victory in India. Commonwealth forces successfully defeat the Japanese forces contesting Bezwada. AAR follows:

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 23560 troops, 354 guns, 618 vehicles, Assault Value = 918

Defending force 14724 troops, 180 guns, 86 vehicles, Assault Value = 341

Allied adjusted assault: 533

Japanese adjusted defense: 40

Allied assault odds: 13 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: leaders(+), disruption(-), preparation(-), fatigue(-)
experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
4499 casualties reported
Squads: 163 destroyed, 26 disabled
Non Combat: 178 destroyed, 27 disabled
Engineers: 18 destroyed, 11 disabled
Guns lost 31 (16 destroyed, 15 disabled)
Vehicles lost 14 (8 destroyed, 6 disabled)
Units retreated 3

Allied ground losses:
157 casualties reported
Squads: 3 destroyed, 33 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 6 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 8 disabled
Guns lost 9 (1 destroyed, 8 disabled)
Vehicles lost 12 (3 destroyed, 9 disabled)

Defeated Japanese Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
193rd Tank Battalion
50th Tank Brigade
7th Australian Division
23rd Indian Division
85th British AT Gun Regiment

Defending units:
2nd Division
16th Guards Regiment
5th Guards Cav Regiment

A number of air actions over Cuttack this turn. Japanese LRCAP based at Vizagapatnam tries to interdict British bombers targeting Cuttack, but a sweep by Hurricane IIa's performs well and downs a number of Oscar Ic's prior to any bombing missions. On the day intel shows seven Oscar's lost versus three Hurricanes. Two British fighter pilots are MIA though.

British fighter-bombers then target the Japanese 5th Amphibious Bde. Despite four Oscar's on LRCAP, no Fulmar's are lost and the enemy force receive over 100 casualties from the strafing attack.

The final Allied raid of the day encounters no LRCAP and 75 Blenheim's hammer the airbase. Damage to the airbase is now shown at 75% and will be un-operational soon.

Thoughts:

With Bezwada secure in the short term, I'm shifting LCU's for a defence of Madras and nearby bases. I will not follow up with an attack against Cocanada at this time. My priority is the defence of Madras.

The Japanese 5th Tank Regt. has reached the hex directly southwest of Jamshedpur. 6th Australian, 18th British and 254th Armoured Bde. are moving to engage the enemy tanks. I intend on a full blown offensive to liberate Cuttack and secure Calcutta's flank. Japanese forces are moving against Chittagong which I will concede. This will mean Japanese air units will begin contesting Calcutta's airspace, but I feel confident I can make it costly for Andre to do so. If I can capture Cuttack quickly, I'll redeploy LCU's to contest any Japanese advance beyond Chittagong.

The loss of Ceylon will mean I can expect to see Japanese naval forces roaming free along the entire coast of India preventing further risk free Allied reinforcement of India via Aden and Capetown. I'm not sure how I intend to counter, or if I will risk CV's. The priority right now is get more aviation support and supply to India. I'm slowly reinforcing Diego Garcia, but I fear Andre will attempt to secure the base and my current defence won't be strong enough to hold.

The victory at Bezwada was a definite morale boost, but once Ceylon is completely in Japanese hands the Allied position could deteriorate quickly.

VP's currently sit at 16000 (J) vs. 5600 (A). India could become the vital theatre that determines a Japanese AV. Knowing this, I think Andre will shift KB to the IO. If he does so, I will move in the Pacific and possibly the DEI to relieve some pressure. The time to start using my naval forces is upon me.

GreyJoy

RE: April 11/42 Update

Post by GreyJoy »

Great victory in India!
never a wise move to let japanese LCUs got caught in the open without a single AA unit with them.
Andre is being a bit lazy in his Indian adventure so far... make him pay for that!
SqzMyLemon

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Thanks for posting Nic! I was getting lonely in here.

Early days yet. I think Andre is just waiting to consolidate Ceylon before he turns up the heat. Andre has not committed much of his air force yet and Ceylon will allow him to dominate the southern tip of India. I'm positive Madras will be the next goal and I must prevent losing the base, or at least make it costly to capture.

I may regret not defending at Chittagong, but I think it will be too vulnerable to naval bombardment and turn into an air attrition campaign for Andre. I'm trying to get Andre to extend himself anyway so a free Chittagong may encourage him to do so.

The good thing about the battle for Bezwada was the experience gain for the 23rd Indian Division, it's now at 53.

Glad to see you following along. [8D]

Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

You get any of those pilots back?
Capt. Harlock

Post by Capt. Harlock »

VP's currently sit at 16000 (J) vs. 5600 (A). India could become the vital theatre that determines a Japanese AV.

That is a concern. What's the game date?
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
SqzMyLemon

Post by SqzMyLemon »

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock
VP's currently sit at 16000 (J) vs. 5600 (A). India could become the vital theatre that determines a Japanese AV.

That is a concern. What's the game date?

It certainly is. Game date is April 12/42. Japan holds Pago Pago, Fiji and New Caledonia in the Pacific and Ceylon in the IO. No landings in the Aleutians or Australia as yet. Bataan still has to fall in the Philippines so that will be another large VP haul. China is static at the moment, but once supply is out large numbers of Chinese LCU VP's will start to add up. There has been little air combat to date, but that is ramping up now that India is the playing field. I think I can start to make VP gains in the air and Andre does have to achieve a 4:1 ratio to come out ahead, so there is an opportunity to eat into his VP lead.

I've not been very active naval wise yet. Most of the Allied naval forces are conducting their 4/42 upgrades. Once these are complete I will be in a position to look for opportunities to strike at Japanese naval assets. I'm more of a reactive player, but won't move until I'm ready. The Allied side is fairly new to me and now that I have a better understanding of their early capabilities (or lack thereof), I'd definitely do things differently. It's been a learning curve for me too, but I'm confident I'll come up with something to avoid AV. If not, lesson learned.

Return to “After Action Reports”