Axis HQ

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

charlie0311

Axis HQ

Post by charlie0311 »

Hi all,

Have been wondering about placing German divisions under army HQ and dumping the corp HQ. No penalty for mixing the different corp units because they are all under army HQ. But what about support units, all in the army HQ now. With sufficient leadership and luck could one expect to get say 4 or 5 gun/how, 4 or 5 rocket, and three pioneers, and three or four AA? thx.
swkuh

RE: Axis HQ

Post by swkuh »

Question may be, how many support units activate in any combat, or, in successive combats, same turn?

Think by using corps one gets just enough support units where needed (after assigning SUs to suit needs.)

Where & how would construction BNs be assigned, as there may be a limit on distance from holding HQ.

Seems that developers had a reason to use corps HQs and for the most part they seem to have got other things right.

But see pelton's recent reawakening in re this subject.
charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

Aha!! The P man, that's who I want to ask, others most welcome.
Omat

Post by Omat »

Hello

Maybe this thread is interessting:

tm.asp?m=3428726&mpage=1&key=Corps%2CArmy&#3431084

morvael knows the code.

Omat
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
Bertrand Russell
charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

thx omat,

looks like it's going to be +2 for die rolls in 2 PZ,3 PZ, and 9 armies. I put all the divs from the respective corps into those armies. I am going to concentrate those three armies for a frontal attack on Moscow, approx 3 div per hex on a 12 hex wide front.

Don't think there should be any penalty if the controlling hq is in command range, usually 5 hexes. Not gamey, if in command range, the top leaders always go to the most important areas of the front.

ps. if I hadn't already done it maybe I'd reconsider.
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: morvael

With the new patch there is a penalty when you attach units to a "too high" HQ.

If the direct HQ of a non-HQ unit is an Army HQ then +2 is added to roll range (so a Random(10)<leader's skill becomes Random(12)<leader's skill).
If the direct HQ of a non-HQ unit is an Army Group/Front/MD HQ then +4 is added.
If the direct HQ of a non-HQ unit is a High Command HQ then +6 is added.

Exceptions:
There is no penalty for being attached to Soviet Army HQ starting on or after July 1st 1941.
There is no penalty to morale and admin rolls for support/construction units.
There is no penalty for HQ units (including airbases and FBD/NKPS units).
There is no penalty for AI units.

So you need to keep those Soviet Corps HQ for the first two turns, in June 1941. Also, it wouldn't be wise to disband German Corps HQs late in the war.

I have for several yrs been disbanding Corps and air bases starting in 1942 and by 44 have disbanded 30-40.

Morvael late war Germans can't win crap its all about morale and infantry squads. The die rolls mean zip as german CV is sht and Russian 30+.

Germans have to destroy manpower centers/trucks and pocket/route as many tank/mech/cav units as possible 41-42. Then hold the line as long as possible using reserve activation.
The +2 does little to stop RA with the right set-up.

Your right IF the player does not use the right set-ups and leaders.

Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Disgruntled Veteran

Post by Disgruntled Veteran »

The German get a lot of excess HQ's if you maximize efficiency. However, instead of disbanding extra HQ's another alternative is to attach allied troops to them and get them good rolls. Depends on how desperate you are for manpower.

Return to “The War Room”