To End All Wars Frontage

The newest game by Ageod, set during The Great War.

Moderator: Pocus

ReviewGameX27

To End All Wars Frontage

Post by ReviewGameX27 »

Hi,

after testing and reading for hours about how frontage works I still have no clue for To End All Wars. Here is my problem:
There is a frontage open and a frontage closed value for each element. But I do not know what number is counting towards what terrain. Forum, manual and wiki doesnt help here either. All I found is a file in gamedata/terrain that is showing for clear terrain the same open frontage value for heavy movement units. But then for closed frontage those number dont match in lets say hills or mountain terrain.

Another problem is that with shortkey 7 I get info about terrain that shows almost for all terrain a frontage of 48 points for line elements and support elements. But when I go to battle in those areas I sometimes have deployed 10 times the amount allowed in a round there. Bug? Also when I click on a stack and then hover over a terrain it shows in shortkey 7 mode a "for this stack" number in elements that seem not to match in any way the numbers of fighting units there. For exampel I just had in luxembourg a fight with 88 elements when this value allowed 8!

So to sum up, I totally frustrated after several hours of reading and testing and still have ni idea how it works. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Chris
Pocus

RE: To End All Wars Frontage

Post by Pocus »

Hi Chris,

The big thing to understand here is that in the battle report, the units listed are not necessarily fighting each round. What is fighting is indicated by the text 'committed units/committed elements' (I'm citing from memory). So don't be at loss if you see more units listed than what the frontages will allow effectively.

As for the terrain mode and tooltips. It's true that we can show in terrain mode if the terrain you are over is a closed or open terrain, that's a good suggestion actually! For the rest, the values differ because they are 'averages'. i.e the game will average what you can put in a mountain and a hill, which are both closed and then calculate how many elements can fit it.
AGEOD Team
ReviewGameX27

Post by ReviewGameX27 »

Thanks for the fast answer. But I still dont quite get the numbers. Here is one example why I dont understand it:
This pic shows that the area we had a battle in is wooded hills in mud
drive.google.com/file/d/0B--_UT0nm9YUN1FqNWFuaE1Kckk/edit?usp=sharing
Now it says on average I can use 3 elements of each type there.
Next screenshot shows the actually battle there. I have used with the ottoman army in round 3 57 elements! I do realize there was a 3 star leader there. But according to wiki the bonus here is stars*25*attack rating (here 25*2*3=150 frontage). But then in frontage closed each unit here has 14 points. So instead of 57 elements fighting it should have around 10 if my math is right. But lets assume wooded hills in mud is considered open frontage. Even then 57 elements each 4 frontage would have been 228 frontage, but only 150 were allowed.
I would highly appreciate any insight here.
drive.google.com/file/d/0B--_UT0nm9YUeGhrcDFlT2gxczQ/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks
Chris
Ace1_slith

Post by Ace1_slith »

Hi, nice to get into this since frontage is the most important number. The terrain tooltip is right. Each range round 3 combat units and 3 support units could have participated.
Every round of the battle begins at the range of biggest gun, and slowly decreases to 0 range. So, if battle started at range 3, you could in theory have 12 different combat units and 12 different support units participating, but only 3+3 could fire at the same time. Defender could in theory defend with 3+3 units all the times and offer same firepower as long as he doesn't suffer too much casualties. Regarding battle screen, unit(elements) numbers seem off and I don't look at them. In your example it doesn't look you had 57 elements to begin with (more like 22 total elements, but I can't be sure)
ReviewGameX27

Post by ReviewGameX27 »

Not sure if I get it. U say since they advance to range 3 i can have 3 times the frontage of the sector?

PS: I have just figured out how one can build a new GHQ for austria...dismantle the old one :-( Why can the austrian army only have one GHQ...
sanderz

Post by sanderz »

ORIGINAL: Medicus

PS: I have just figured out how one can build a new GHQ for austria...dismantle the old one :-( Why can the austrian army only have one GHQ...

i think the lager countries can only have one each max - except Germany which can have 2 (one for each front)
ReviewGameX27

Post by ReviewGameX27 »

I remember in ACW2 I tried for almost weeks to create GHQ/Corps before realizing the game sets a time when u can do that :-) I wonder if that is the case here too.
Ace1_slith

Post by Ace1_slith »

ORIGINAL: Medicus

Not sure if I get it. U say since they advance to range 3 i can have 3 times the frontage of the sector?

To simplify frontage. Each round of battles has multiple firing subrounds. In each firing subround in your example, only 3+3 units can fire. The side with more units can in multiple rounds rotate units in and out, so actually more units participated, but never more than 3+3 at the same time.

Back to the famous myth of Spartan stand at Thermopile. If the frontage there was 300, the Persians did commit more than 300 men, but never 300 at the same time.

As for Austrian GHQ. Did they had more than 1 GHQ in RL?

Return to “To End All Wars Series”