Distant Worlds v1.9.5.8 Public Beta Update Available!

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Erik Rutins

Distant Worlds v1.9.5.8 Public Beta Update Available!

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hello Everyone,

The Distant Worlds 1.9.5.8 Beta Update is now available for testing for Registered owners through our Members Club. You may download it from Here.

This build will hopefully be available an official update later this week.

This build has the following changes from 1.9.5.7:

CRASH FIXES

- fixed rare crash when ships in combat

BUG FIXES

- fixed bug where race-specific diplomacy mood music was not working in a theme

SHIP DESIGN

- AI ship design process now automatically adds extra energy collector components to match static energy requirements of design (similar to the way reactors are added)
- AI ship design now increases size of Carrier designs (beyond default design template) when construction size allows (like Capital Ships already did)
- added medium and large freighter designs to AI ship design shrinking process (attempt to fit within current maximum construction size)
- fighter firepower now listed in ship design detail screen (Weapons panel), to allow better comparison of military designs (firepower and fighters listed separately)

MODDING

- now optionally allow setting battle tactics, invasion tactics and fleeWhen settings for designs in design template files. To do this, for any design template file for any race, use the following entries (Entry name with possible values after the colon):
TacticsWeaker: Evade, Standoff, AllWeapons, PointBlank
TacticsStronger: Evade, Standoff, AllWeapons, PointBlank
TacticsInvasion: DoNotInvade, InvadeWhenClear, InvadeImmediately
FleeWhen: EnemyMilitarySighted, Attacked, Shields50, Shields20, Never

OTHER

- increased the maximum per-resource cargo space at spaceports and other bases from 30000 to 120000
- ship decision whether to use tractor beams to pull or push a target now uses optimal attack ranges defined by battle tactics, e.g. when set to Point Blank then will pull within close range, when set to Evade will always push. Spaceports defending a colony will push when enemy troop transport gets too close in an attempt to prevent them from dropping invading troops at the colony
- idle automated AI fleets and troop transports will now unload troops at colonies that have pirate facilities but insufficient troops to clear them
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
PsyKoSnake

RE: Distant Worlds v1.9.5.8 Public Beta Update Available!

Post by PsyKoSnake »

Thank you, seem to be a very nice patch. To have a better Ai with the mod AI improvement

;)
Antiscamp

Post by Antiscamp »

I have a lot of good games on Steam, but rarely have I seen such a steady stream of excellent updates for a game after release such as with Distant Worlds.
Sithuk

Post by Sithuk »

Erik/Elliot: One of the best patches yet, thank you.

Will the tractor beams on a spaceport push ships away even if war has not been declared?
Will the tractor beams push away any ship containing troops or only those which are a "troop transport" type?
- ship decision whether to use tractor beams to pull or push a target now uses optimal attack ranges defined by battle tactics, e.g. when set to Point Blank then will pull within close range, when set to Evade will always push. Spaceports defending a colony will push when enemy troop transport gets too close in an attempt to prevent them from dropping invading troops at the colony

Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

Will this break save games?
silentdeth

Post by silentdeth »

How will tractor beams behave if a ship is set to standoff, but is trying to board a enemy ship? Will they push based on the standoff setting or will they pull to capture?
My Let's Plays of Distant Worlds: Universe Season 2: Human|Season 3: Kiadian|Season 4: Pirate(Balanced)
Jethro420

Post by Jethro420 »

I wanna try the patch, but I bought the game on Steam and can't seem to be able to find the serial number to register here.

Anyone know where it's lurking?

EDIT: Figured it out.
Falokis

Post by Falokis »

Thank you!!! I've been waiting for battle stances in design templates since they were added.

[&o]
Strat_84

Post by Strat_84 »

- increased the maximum per-resource cargo space at spaceports and other bases from 30000 to 120000

I didn't try to test where the limit is now but the cargo space on mining stations is still broken.

Simple example: Mining station with a cargo space limited to 1050 to keep the test quick. All freighters removed. The mining operations stopped when reaching something around 4000 units of ressources. No need to make a drawing about what happens with more conventional cargo spaces. A station can store amounts of ressources exceeding by far what they are supposed to be able to store. Which is absolutely not right, right ? [&:]

Attachments
20140828_112811.jpg
20140828_112811.jpg (1.02 MiB) Viewed 299 times
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

A screenshot of the AI Point Blank Battle Tactics in action ... [8D]
Nanaki

Post by Nanaki »

ORIGINAL: Strat_84
I didn't try to test where the limit is now but the cargo space on mining stations is still broken.

I think it might be WAD that cargo space for stations can store more than cargo space for ships. The justification maybe being that, since stations are stationary, their cargo bays are only limited by volume as opposed to mass.
I ate the batter of the bulge at Hans' Haus of Luftwaffles
DeadlyShoe

Post by DeadlyShoe »

- AI ship design process now automatically adds extra energy collector components to match static energy requirements of design (similar to the way reactors are added)
- AI ship design now increases size of Carrier designs (beyond default design template) when construction size allows (like Capital Ships already did)
- added medium and large freighter designs to AI ship design shrinking process (attempt to fit within current maximum construction size)
Can these be made optional?

I have some deliberately smaller carrier designs using unique techs, and for myself I've rebalanced energy so that collectors are more of a choice rather than mandatory.

I don't actually see the point of the m/l freighter change tbh, could you explain that?
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
Spaceports defending a colony will push when enemy troop transport gets too close in an attempt to prevent them from dropping invading troops at the colony
I've tested Spaceport tractor beams (with no other tactics set) by attacking with troop transports only and observed:

(a) Once in range of the tractor beam of the Spaceport pulls in the troop transports ... helping the invasion!
(b) Once the troop transport is extremely close then the tractor beam stops pulling but does not push away
(c) In a surprise attack (no relationship diplomatic situation) the tractor beams did not activate at all until after the troop transport had already landed troops

Spaceport tractor beams should push away, not hold, as soon as a troop transport is in range. This should apply for all diplomatic relationships except for a Mutual Defence Pact (where there should be a massive diplomatic penalty for a surprise attack).

Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

ORIGINAL: Icemania
Spaceports defending a colony will push when enemy troop transport gets too close in an attempt to prevent them from dropping invading troops at the colony
I've tested Spaceport tractor beams (with no other tactics set) by attacking with troop transports only and observed:

(a) Once in range of the tractor beam of the Spaceport pulls in the troop transports ... helping the invasion!
(b) Once the troop transport is extremely close then the tractor beam stops pulling but does not push away
(c) In a surprise attack (no relationship diplomatic situation) the tractor beams did not activate at all until after the troop transport had already landed troops

Spaceport tractor beams should push away, not hold, as soon as a troop transport is in range. This should apply for all diplomatic relationships except for a Mutual Defence Pact (where there should be a massive diplomatic penalty for a surprise attack).

Yikes! Not good! [&:] Hopefully I will be able to test again soon!
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

Hello Everyone,

The Distant Worlds 1.9.5.8 Beta Update is now available for testing for Registered owners through our Members Club. You may download it from Here.

This build will hopefully be available an official update later this week.

This build has the following changes from 1.9.5.7:

CRASH FIXES

- fixed rare crash when ships in combat

BUG FIXES

- fixed bug where race-specific diplomacy mood music was not working in a theme

SHIP DESIGN

- fighter firepower now listed in ship design detail screen (Weapons panel), to allow better comparison of military designs (firepower and fighters listed separately)

MODDING

- now optionally allow setting battle tactics, invasion tactics and fleeWhen settings for designs in design template files. To do this, for any design template file for any race, use the following entries (Entry name with possible values after the colon):
TacticsWeaker: Evade, Standoff, AllWeapons, PointBlank
TacticsStronger: Evade, Standoff, AllWeapons, PointBlank
TacticsInvasion: DoNotInvade, InvadeWhenClear, InvadeImmediately
FleeWhen: EnemyMilitarySighted, Attacked, Shields50, Shields20, Never

OTHER

- idle automated AI fleets and troop transports will now unload troops at colonies that have pirate facilities but insufficient troops to clear them

Hi Erik any word on release? Have the tractor beams been reworked on? [&:]
PsyKoSnake

Post by PsyKoSnake »

Each day I check the forum for information on the new patch.
Waiting for it to start my new game ;)
Malakie

Post by Malakie »

I tried to install the Beta but it does not work.. I get an error that says it cannot find file DistantWldRez.exe (or something close to that) and will not load. I have to have steam validate the files to get it running again...

I have tried a couple times but each time I get the same error so I am not sure what is going on with installing the beta

Take it light...

Malakie
WaflHead

Post by WaflHead »

ORIGINAL: PsyKoSnake

Each day I check the forum for information on the new patch.
Waiting for it to start my new game ;)

Me too! I don't want to start a new game just before the patch comes out. Previously beta patches went to release in a week and I'd have to restart my game. I'm surprised how long this one is taking, I need my Distant Worlds fix.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”