[WAD]Passive radars broken

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

DeltaIV

[WAD]Passive radars broken

Post by DeltaIV »

I've noticed that passive radars aren't working like they're supposed to.

Family of Vera/Tamara/Kolchuga or YLC-20 work on the basis of exploitation of currently present non-cooperative emmiters that reflect from completely passive A/C. The exact operating frequency differs among the systems, could be anything between SSR/IFF/TACAN transponders, DVB-T, GSM, or even GPS.

If i try to fly over the mentioned systems with B-52 (set on EMCON A), the radar won't pick them up. Detection happens when the bomber is too close and units can see contrail.

Attachments
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (127.76 KiB) Viewed 79 times
Dimitris

RE: Passive radars broken

Post by Dimitris »

Hello,

Is there a save available?

Thanks.
DeltaIV

Post by DeltaIV »

There you go.
Attachments
test.zip
(4.96 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Thanks will take a look when I'm back at the conn in a few hours

Mike
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Just took a look and if I move them outside the mountain ranges to better terrain they work fine. Might be LOS and clutter issues. Please let us know if this is not the case.

M
DeltaIV

Post by DeltaIV »

Indeed, i did some more testing (and reading) and realised that i'm talking about fourth generation of passive radiolocators. Didn't realise that the technology jump in genre of passive surveillance was so big in last decade.

Repeated tests showed that when deploeyed in favourable terrain results are (B-52 flyover (Radar ON)):

Kolchuga - 161nm, 161nm, 161nm
Tamara - 162nm, 162nm, 163nm

Although i saw better numbers in some brochure (emmiting F-15/16(?) detectable at around 200nm), i think i can live with this [:)]

As for future, would love to see newer generation (fourth) passive locators in game. Namely Vera or Vera-NG as they're widely deployed these days (at least the basic version).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VERA_passive_sensor

Vera-NG (next generation) will also be rather interesting, since it has the technology i talked about in my initial post - PCL.

Citing their website:
One of the most promising technologies that could alter the field of air surveillance is the Passive Coherent Location (PCL) system. For targets that do not emit signals, ERA’s next PCL system shall track and classify targets using reflections of existing third-party emitters such as FM radio.

http://era.aero/products/vera-by-era/

Anyways, thanks for looking at it, it's WAD and i will post separate DB entry requests in DB thread after i manage to find some more specs. [8D]

Return to “Tech Support”