Summer Offensive - Oshawott (Axis) vs Griefhead (Russia)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Oshawott

RE: T2 - OOB

Post by Oshawott »

Then you will have a bunch of Panzers sitting around with no gas and no enemy anywhere close to them.

Very true. I will have to see how I can avoid this dilemma.
Oshawott

T3 - Start of Turn Overview

Post by Oshawott »

T3 - Start of Turn Overview

The two major pockets held which is good news. The small pocket in the center was breached which is slightly annoying because some of my tanks did not receive supplies. On the other hand I have to wait for infantry anyways. Griefhead sets up a checkerboard defense in the South. In the center he tries to defend the landbridge.

Attachments
T3 Start Overview.jpg
T3 Start Overview.jpg (960.82 KiB) Viewed 327 times
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: Michael T

The problem is he can withdraw and just stay out of range. Soon you will reach the end of your supply tether. Then you will have a bunch of Panzers sitting around with no gas and no enemy anywhere close to them.

There is always the hope that he will play in to yours hands and try to fight you in the south. But a quality Soviet is not going to do that.

Good luck [:)]

Chances are his enemy is not best of the best so he has some hope left
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

our friend Pelton, ever the optimist [:'(]
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

But looking at the standard checker board in south he is screwed.

Standard SHC

1. checker board south
2. turn off refit to southern units
3. build wall of steel from north to south

yup its over
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
swkuh

Post by swkuh »

Some guys are no fun, having reduced this lovely game to simple mechanics.
charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

Hi Guys,

And from the land of make believe, Matrix Games at the behest of the man himself (Gary G), is most pleased to announce the start of "be nice to Pelton" week. Besides, picking on Pelton is my job, it's in my contract.
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

Why turn off refits to southern units? The Soviets can afford to refit everything early on, with ease. The only limiting factor is manpower, easily addressed by disbanding excess airbases and HQs. The armaments are certainly there to do it.

(This assumes rifle refits only, to be sure. No refits for mech units anywhere.)
WitE Alpha Tester
Oshawott

Post by Oshawott »

Why turn off refits to southern units? The Soviets can afford to refit everything early on, with ease. The only limiting factor is manpower, easily addressed by disbanding excess airbases and HQs. The armaments are certainly there to do it.

(This assumes rifle refits only, to be sure. No refits for mech units anywhere.)

This is also my impression. I am very selective which units get replacements but turning everything off is downright counterproductive.
Oshawott

T3 - North

Post by Oshawott »

T3 - North

Pskov is taken by frontal assault and the surrounding hexes are flipped. I have not made a decision which approach I will take towards Leningrad.

Attachments
T3North.jpg
T3North.jpg (536.79 KiB) Viewed 327 times
Oshawott

T3 - Center

Post by Oshawott »

T3 - Center

The pocket was broken and is resealed now. Waiting for infantry.

Attachments
T3Center.jpg
T3Center.jpg (706.83 KiB) Viewed 327 times
Oshawott

T3 - South

Post by Oshawott »

T3 - South

Axis recon reveals that Odessa is only protected by one unit. The approaches to Odessa are only lightly defended. There is a large gap with only two HQ units in it. Odessa itself is only defended by a fortified zone and falls to a hasty attack. Damage to the port is only 44%. I also take Ochakov which has a damage of 74%. These numbers are important. The Ochakov number is a very lucky dice roll.

Attachments
T3South.jpg
T3South.jpg (808.78 KiB) Viewed 327 times
Oshawott

T3 - OOB

Post by Oshawott »

T3 - OOB

Still heavy fighting in the Lvov pocket. Those troops in rough terrain and mountains put up heavy resistance.

Attachments
T3OOB.jpg
T3OOB.jpg (143.69 KiB) Viewed 327 times
Flaviusx

RE: T3 - South

Post by Flaviusx »

I don't like that Soviet defense up north at all. Notwithstanding all the doom and gloom here over the Axis chances. The Soviet is overweight in the center and underweight in the north, this doesn't look like the Great Wall of Russia to me.

Odessa was also mismanaged by the Soviet. That should have had at least 2 rifle divisions in it by turn 3.
WitE Alpha Tester
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

The doom and gloom is reliant on Soviet proficiency, which may not be the case....
Ketza

Post by Ketza »

I have always funneled replacements since the first game I played as Soviets I witnessed Leningrad get overrun with hasty attacks haha

My theory was the troops in the south run a bigger risk of getting surrounded or beat up by the extra panzers so why make them stronger and waste resources?
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

ORIGINAL: Ketza

I have always funneled replacements since the first game I played as Soviets I witnessed Leningrad get overrun with hasty attacks haha

My theory was the troops in the south run a bigger risk of getting surrounded or beat up by the extra panzers so why make them stronger and waste resources?

The key in the south is to screen with junk and throwaways and even weaker mech units -- things you don't care about and aren't being refitted. Rifle divisions being deployed further to rear. I see no reason to starve them just because they are in the south. Once east of the Dnepr, you won't be losing them. If you are throwing them away west of the Dnepr...you're simply doing it wrong.

WitE Alpha Tester
hfarrish

Post by hfarrish »

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx

ORIGINAL: Ketza

The key in the south is to screen with junk and throwaways and even weaker mech units -- things you don't care about and aren't being refitted. Rifle divisions being deployed further to rear. I see no reason to starve them just because they are in the south. Once east of the Dnepr, you won't be losing them. If you are throwing them away west of the Dnepr...you're simply doing it wrong.

I actually think this a counterproductive (and unfun) view of Soviet strategy in more recent game iterations. With the end of the flying fuel cans of death fighting in the South isn't necessarily a death warrant, and at the end of the day there are only so many hexes up north you can pack troops into. A reasonable fighting withdrawal in the South can keep things from getting out of control and (for those who care) is at least plausibly realistic. Also...with milder winter taking back 300+ miles of South Russia/Ukraine cannot be taken for granted, so one might not want to give it up so easily.
HITMAN202

Post by HITMAN202 »

Flaviusx is spot-on (as always) and as far as Soviet defenders, you can't have enough in AGN and AGS sectors if you rest and rehab units (as you must.)

I have found that a mass of Soviet cav divisions make a near impenetrable barrier in the southern half of AGS and by turn 8, a solid retreating soviet D line east of the Dnepr, effectively using the multiple rivers and keeping out of reach of deliberate German infantry attacks , makes AGS safe and secure.
WITE is a good addiction with no cure.
Ketza

Post by Ketza »

I guess we all have our own ways of doing things. I think all of the options mentioned here work.

[&o]

Return to “After Action Reports”