Where is this Peace Treaty Book Kept?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

radic202

Where is this Peace Treaty Book Kept?

Post by radic202 »

Hey Gang:

My young 13 year old Nephew once again comes to me, or actually asks me to ask the "war experts" in here as part of his first school project on "very important books", where is this book kept for safe keeping and does it ever come out for either public viewing or can anyone actually read it in person etc....

Of course we are talking about the Peace Treaty Book that was signed to end WW2 on-board the Battleship "Missouri" in the Bay of Tokyo on Sept. 2, 1945.

You can see it (sure all of you already have)at the 5:35 or so on the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EqRTWMVqMY

Jonathan says thank you in advance for helping him with his homework...........
It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!
decaro

RE: Where is this Peace Treaty Book Kept?

Post by decaro »

What was signed on the USS Missouri was not a treaty, but The Japanese Instrument of Surrender. It was not until 1951 that the US and other Allies signed a treaty with Japan.

Apparently copies of the instrument were kept on the Missouri, but there were also Allied and Japanese copies: the Allied copy was leather bound with gold lining with both countries' seals printed on the front, whereas the Japanese copy was bound in canvas with no seals.

http://www.ask.com/wiki/Japanese_Instru ... ap=ask.com
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
ckammp

Post by ckammp »

The original surrender documents from Tokyo Bay are held by the United States National Archives; their main building is in Washington, D.C. For more information, check with www.archives.gov.
radic202

Post by radic202 »

Thanks my friends. Sending him the links in a few so he will have them in the morrow. This will be an excellent first school homework project for him to turn in. As usual much appreciated.
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

Wasn't there some error in one of them ? I forget, something about who signs where or something ?
History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
british exil

Post by british exil »

Coming to the war in Europe. Officially it isn't over. There has been no peace treaty signed. Only a ceasefire.

I find this very interesting.

Mat

edited due to link being somewhat neo nazi like. Sorry. Didn't read the last few lines of page.
"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS
decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

Wasn't there some error in one of them ? I forget, something about who signs where or something ?

Canadian Col. Lawrence Moore Cosgrave -- who was blind in one eye from a World War I injury -- unintentionally signed below his line instead of above it on the Japanese copy such that everyone after him had to sign one line below. Gen. Sutherland crossed-out the pre-printed names of the Allied nations, correctly rewrote them and later initialed his alterations to placate the Japanese.
decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: british exil

Coming to the war in Europe. Officially it isn't over. There has been no peace treaty signed. Only a ceasefire.

I find this very interesting.

Mat

edited due to link being somewhat neo nazi like. Sorry. Didn't read the last few lines of page.

If memory serves me, as Germany was divided, there was no one party who could sign on behalf of all Germans, so the treaty wasn't officially inked until after the fall of the Berlin Wall and Germany's reunification.
british exil

Post by british exil »

Thanks Joe. I always thought that the treaty had not been signed. You were correct and I have now learnt of something new. Strange things do happen in these forums.

Mat
"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS
radic202

Post by radic202 »

ORIGINAL: british exil

Thanks Joe. I always thought that the treaty had not been signed. You were correct and I have now learnt of something new. Strange things do happen in these forums.

Mat

I learn something new on the forums every day. Some peeps always yell "search for your answer on the net" I (about war and history) always come here even for my nephews....why? because the answers I get are front-hand personalized answers with some links and so forth, heck I am lucky when it stirs a mild debate! I told my nephew that "you always remember something when it is said to you by someone else. When you read it in a book or a web page you forget it real quick but when someone personalizes their answer (either by voice or written themselves), like a teacher, a friend or a parent you tend to remember it more.

Return to “General Discussion”