when,which, where radar, RA. 6.6

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

guctony

when,which, where radar, RA. 6.6

Post by guctony »

Ok I am trying to understand which radar is on which ship after I have upgrades For my IJN. Scen RA. 6.6. In terms of ship tables there is only one type 22, type 21 and type 13. But on this list there are many. Can somebody clarify it to me.

Thanks

Attachments
radars.jpg
radars.jpg (292.45 KiB) Viewed 50 times
"Unless a nation's life faces peril, war is murder."
"Sovereignty is not given, it is taken."
"After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well."
Mustafa Kemal
Chris21wen

RE: when,which, where radar, RA. 6.6

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: guctony

Ok I am trying to understand which radar is on which ship after I have upgrades For my IJN. Scen RA. 6.6. In terms of ship tables there is only one type 22, type 21 and type 13. But on this list there are many. Can somebody clarify it to me.

Thanks

Not noticed this until pointed out. Using tracker it appears to be the longer ranged one in every case . I cannot find any ship that uses the shorter range versions but have not checked every ship. The Type 13 has a load cost so it could also be used in LCUs but cannot find anything that uses it but again I've looked at everything.
Barb

Post by Barb »

I would place my bet on those radar without "Loadcost" - or LoadCost = 9999 are based on your ships.
Those with LoadCost defined are used for ground units.
guctony

Post by guctony »

ORIGINAL: Chris H

Thanks

Not noticed this until pointed out. Using tracker it appears to be the longer ranged one in every case . I cannot find any ship that uses the shorter range versions but have not checked every ship. The Type 13 has a load cost so it could also be used in LCUs but cannot find anything that uses it but again I've looked at everything.

I have another idea would it be possible for type 21 radar to work in both modes. As air search radar and surface search radar at the same time.
Mustafa Kemal
msieving1

Post by msieving1 »

I don't have the RA mod, but there are apparently duplicate devices defined in the scenario database.  You have to look at the device ID number to tell which device is used.  The device ID numbers aren't shown in game, but you can use the editor to see them. The device ID numbers are also visible in Tracker.

-- Mark Sieving
msieving1

Post by msieving1 »

I have another idea would it be possible for type 21 radar to work in both modes. As air search radar and surface search radar at the same time.

All radars work in both air search and surface search modes. There are only two types of radars defined in the database: ground radar and air radar. Ground radar is used by LCUs and ships; air radar is used by aircraft.

-- Mark Sieving
guctony

Post by guctony »

ORIGINAL: msieving1

All radars work in both air search and surface search modes. There are only two types of radars defined in the database: ground radar and air radar. Ground radar is used by LCUs and ships; air radar is used by aircraft.

Thanks it new information to me. So any IJN ship upgraded with radar also have night combat bonus or at least spotting capacity increased at night.

this is usefull information
Mustafa Kemal
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

I think the type 21 was for air searching and the type 22 for surface searching. Although both were used for the other role. In both respects they were not very good. Not sure how that translates in game terms.

The Japanese Type 21 radar (also known as Mark 2 Model 1 Type 2) was installed on surface ships beginning in August 1943 and was nicknamed the Ship Mattress. Though nominally an air search radar, it was used for surface search also. Some officers at the Bureau of Naval Construction went so far as to recommend that production of all other types be canceled. A land-based version also existed, known as the Type 1 Model 2, which was known to the Japanese as the Mobile Mattress. Examples of the latter were captured at Roi-Namur and Kwajalein.

The Japanese Type 22 radar, also known as Mark 2 Model 2, saw wide operational use in the war, being installed on surface ships and submarines. Though nominally a surface search radar, it was also used for air search and for fire control. It was based on an early Japanese version of the cavity magnetron, the M-312, used 40 vacuum tubes, and had limited power. Quality control during production was a serious problem: Of the first sixy sets built, only about six actually worked. The chief difficulty was achieving adequate precision in machining the oddly-shaped cavities in the M-312 magnetron to achieve the precise frequency required to match the magnetron with the M-60 vacuum tube used in the receiver.
From the Pacific War on line Encyclopedia
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
msieving1

Post by msieving1 »

ORIGINAL: msieving1

Thanks it new information to me. So any IJN ship upgraded with radar also have night combat bonus or at least spotting capacity increased at night.

Yes, but US and British radar is better, and more US and British ships have radar.

Air search radar generally has far greater range than surface search radar, but significantly lower accuracy. Exactly how those parameters are used depends on the combat routines in the programming, about which I know nothing, (You'd have to ask a developer, and I'm pretty sure they're not going to tell you.) But I think we can say in general that AS radar will detect aircraft at a greater distance, while SS radar will only detect aircraft when they are too close to do anything about them, while AS radar provides less advantage in a surface fight than SS radar.

-- Mark Sieving

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”