New Scenario for testing/enjoyment: HMS Astute vs USS New Mexico anti-submarine exercise

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

ultradave

New Scenario for testing/enjoyment: HMS Astute vs USS New Mexico anti-submarine exercise

Post by ultradave »

Attached is my first attempt at creating a scenario. It's extremely simple, but it is based on a real event. Having worked both in the US and UK submarine design/construction/test world before I recently retired, this matchup appealed to me. It's the sort of thing you could gin up on your own pretty easily, but I did it for you :-)

The HMS Astute came over to the US for some shakedown exercises, including firing a live Tomahawk missile at a range in Florida, and an anti submarine exercise at the Atlantic Undersea Test and Evaluation Center in the Bahamas. I've expanded the limits of the range to give some more room for maneuver. SSN 779, the USS New Mexico, was the opponent for the exercise.

The scenario sets up a one on one matchup between the two newest and most capable nuclear attack submarines.

I've run through it a couple of times and as far as I could tell everything worked as it should.

Since this is my first try at any kind of scenario, comments and suggestions are quite welcome, especially if you see anything that appears wrong. Getting this right will give me confidence to tackle something more involved.

Attachments
HMSAstute..exercise.zip
(7.8 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"
CassioM

RE: New Scenario for testing/enjoyment: HMS Astute vs USS New Mexico anti-submarine exercise

Post by CassioM »

Hello ultradave

I did a identical scenario based on this exercise months ago.

US-UK Fellowship Exercise, 2012:

tm.asp?m=3636134&mpage=1&key=fellowship&#3636134

However, it is interesting to see other variations of the same scenario. [:)]
ultradave

RE: New Scenario for testing/enjoyment: HMS Astute vs USS New Mexico anti-submarine exercise

Post by ultradave »

Cool. Thanks for the link. I hadn't realized that.

After reading the comments on that thread and looking at subs in the database, I would imagine the signatures are an estimate. Even in the US-UK program I was involved in to help with UK sub design, signatures was a forbidden topic, in both directions. All of that real data is highly classified. That would probably make submarine detection in the game an estimate, maybe more so than other events that are modeled. I see that most submarines in the game have very similar signature levels. The developers can jump in and correct me if I'm wrong about that.

That makes the Astute/Virginia face off a question of finding him before he finds you and shooting and running. (it's pretty much a sure bet he'll find you as soon as you shoot - and that applies in both directions).
----------------
Dave A.
CassioM

Post by CassioM »

I agree with you

Occasionally I do some experiments with submarines in the scenario editor. The results are always interesting.

Using this same scenario I created, whose small size resembles a boxing ring, I usually exchange the submarines. I tried Typhoon against Ohio (The Ohio is invisible, lol), Los Angeles against Alfa, Improved Los Angeles against Akula, Sierra, Victor III and others. I tested a Foxtrot against Seawolf and was killed without knowing why, lol. When I used the Kilo, the Seawolf not found me. And I also did not detected him.

I believe that the capabilities of submarines are very reasonable in CMANO.
ultradave

Post by ultradave »

Good idea. I'll have to run some match ups.
----------------
Dave A.
Flankerk

Post by Flankerk »

Have played as Astute several times, only managed mutual destruction, usually at point blank range. Scoring isn't implemented as such. Otherwise suspect good to go?

"Alas poor Yorick,I knew him Horatio"

#1 Quote of the Harpoon Community.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”