Screen Resolution

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.
Tejszd

Screen Resolution

Post by Tejszd »

When I play CC5 the non battle game screens are at 800x600 and because my monitor display is 1920x1200 the 800x600 full screen images are automatically doubled in size to 1600x1200 which makes everything much easier to read/see.

Why do the matrix CC releases have the non battle game screens at 1024x768 but still only use an 800x600 image? If the additional screen resolution was used it would make sense but since the it isn't this is a step backwards for myself or other game owners who have higher resolution monitors, can it be fixed???
SteveMcClaire

RE: Screen Resolution

Post by SteveMcClaire »

The decision was made based on how well the UI screens looked on monitors in use at the time the game was in development. It was judged that 1024x768 was better than 800x600 when the game resolution was set higher on a higher resolution monitor.

It is unlikely that released games will be modified to use conditionally use a lower screen resolution at this point, but I will make a note of it for future consideration.

Steve

Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

With higher and higher resolution monitors coming out and with no way to run full screen any longer under Windows 8, 8.1 or 10 the fixed 800x600 menu screens are getting smaller and harder to read. Could not the option be added when running in windowed mode to double the menu graphic size to 1600x1200 if the screen resolution supports it?
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

Tejszd,

I replied to this in the Windows 10 Support thread on the top level forum.

Thanks,

Steve
von Garvin

Post by von Garvin »

Good day
I'm having a real issue with the game. I just bought it today. I can get the starter window open (the one where i can choose to launch the game, manual, etc), but when I get the game going, it fails to have proper images. It looks like crap. I've tried several times. I cannot select any of the options (eg starting the matches proper).

Is there a fix to this?

Thanks in advance.
von Garvin

Post by von Garvin »

I can't post an image....
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

von Garvin,

If you are on Windows 8 or 10 and you are seeing a screen of purplish graphics scrunched to the left, you need to set the game into Windowed mode to resolve this. Once the game is started hit F8 to get the game options dialog, then go into the General options and check the 'Windowed Mode' option. Hit 'Ok', exit the game, and then restart it.

Steve
von Garvin

Post by von Garvin »

That worked! Thank you!
easternhellbender

Post by easternhellbender »

I'm having a similar issue on Windows 10. When I launch LSA and open up the Options menu, the three buttons at the top (Gameplay/General/About) are cut off by my screen, as are the "Accept/Cancel" buttons at the bottom. Since I can't get to the "General" screen in options, I am unable to set the game to windowed and make it playable.

DirectPlay is installed and enabled, and I've tried many combinations of compatibility mode and resolution. As it stands, I am unable to change the way the options menu displays in order to switch it to the "General" tab. All I need is a way to force LSA to run Windowed (Alt+Enter doesn't work in this case).

I've never had this problem with LSA before; it ran perfectly on Windows 8.1 and on a previous installation of Windows 10. This menu display issue seems like something that might have an easy fix I'm just not thinking of.

Any advice from the experts here would be much appreciated.
CGGrognard

Post by CGGrognard »

HI garlic - check your display settings. If the display setting isn't set to the game (i.e. display =1920x1080 game =800x600) then this may be the problem. It's an inconvenience, but if you lower your display setting, then launch the game (press F8) then set the display in the game to it's highest setting. Don't forget to check the "Windowed" box in the game options. Exit the game, then reset your display.
Also, check your compatibility of the game by locating the game CCE Application file in your directory (C:\Matrix Games\Close Combat Last Stand Arnhem). Mine is set to Windows XP Service Pack 3 and it works fine.
I hope this helps. [:)]
"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." - Sun Tzu
easternhellbender

Post by easternhellbender »

Thank you CGGrognard! I disabled display scaling, dropped my resolution down to 800x600 and was finally able to access the right part of the Options menu.

Really appreciate the help. The CC series was among the first wargames I played, starting with ABTF and CC3 back in the 90s. It's a good feeling to come by Matrix and CCS and see the community still active after so many years. Looking forward to The Bloody First being unveiled one of these days, it'll be a breath of fresh air in the CC world!
CGGrognard

Post by CGGrognard »

garlic - glad the advice solved your problem. As for The Bloody First, be patient. But I do agree it will indeed be just what the series needs to bring it up to current computer gaming standards.
"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." - Sun Tzu

Return to “Tech Support”