Return of the Sheep! - JocMeister(A) vs. MrKane(J)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

witpqs

RE: Here we go...?

Post by witpqs »

I think it's a fine place to put up a fight.

Keep setting him problems that he has to deal with (or at least decide to accept).
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

ORIGINAL: aztez

You do have bombers that you can sacrifice in the region? Throw some of them at him... to test his CAP and get even better intel.

That definately is full force of KB and he is coming... time to play him and see his cards.

I wish I had. [:(] 18 Dauntless-1 is all I have. No planes to fill out anything else. They all went to the CVs. Not being able to downgrade or upgrade to any model you want presents a whole new level of headaches...
aztez

Post by aztez »

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

You do have bombers that you can sacrifice in the region? Throw some of them at him... to test his CAP and get even better intel.

That definately is full force of KB and he is coming... time to play him and see his cards.

I wish I had. [:(] 18 Dauntless-1 is all I have. No planes to fill out anything else. They all went to the CVs. Not being able to downgrade or upgrade to any model you want presents a whole new level of headaches...

I meant LBA bombers.. B25's etc... you should have those around? I would not waste divebombers initially but this is good place as any to stop him.
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

I think it's a fine place to put up a fight.

Keep setting him problems that he has to deal with (or at least decide to accept).

Good to hear. [:)]

While I might let him land in peace I´m certainly not going to let him develop his bases in peace and quiet. At least I´m going to do what I can to annoy him. [:)]
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

[
Besides inland OZ I can think of no better place for me to put up a fight.

I'm glad you added this. No island is as good a place to fight as Oz is for the Allies.

I agree with your conclusion BTW, FWIW, two-will-get-you-three. At 4.anything:1 it's time to fight.
The Moose
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

I meant LBA bombers.. B25's etc... you should have those around? I would not waste divebombers initially but this is good place as any to stop him.

Ah, I have some B25s in OZ. But the pilots have a loooong way to go. [:(]
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

[
Besides inland OZ I can think of no better place for me to put up a fight.

I'm glad you added this. No island is as good a place to fight as Oz is for the Allies.

I agree with your conclusion BTW, FWIW, two-will-get-you-three. At 4.anything:1 it's time to fight.

Make or break! Have to try...
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

I warned you earlier about possible isolation of Suva, but thought he would hold onto Nadi. He can do so now by taking bases in surrounding islands and take Suva at later date once he stops any relief efforts. You don't have any bases developed between Pago Pago region and Suva to counter right now.

As Jocke points out those dot bases aren't going to isolate anything for a long time to come.

The KB will have to stand to and provide air cover for the entire duration those dot bases need to be built up sufficiently to bring in LBA as well as stick around to cover every last influx of the troops necessary to build them and to supply them.

Looks more to me like Mr. Kane is fastening a huge ball and chain to the KB.

Jocke just needs to play rope-a-dope with his own carriers and let his LBA shoulder the burden of suppressing those dots as they build.
Hans

JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

Got the next turn back but don´t have access to the computer so I´ve only read the CR. No landings.

In fact not much outside China happening.
Lokasenna

RE: Japanese land in OZ!!

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Cribtop

Can't see how Japan takes these heavily defended islands. Beware losing your fleet to defend islands he couldn't take anyway.

That said, if you lose them, AV is pretty likely. Get him stuck in the tar baby and THEN drop the air/naval hammer when he tries to use his fleet against your ground forces.

PS - I hope every single Allied sub on the face of the Planet is headed toward the battle zone.

+1. I really don't think MrKane can take it. Things may get hairy, but if you do your job you should come out on top in terms of LCUs/base control. Be careful with your ships, but not so careful that it costs you the campaign and not so careful that you don't bleed him when there's an opportunity... KB can't hang around forever, and that's his only way of threatening your CVs (and therefore your SAGs, resupply ships, etc.).

Does anyone here really believe I can come back if I lose the Fijis and Samoans together withm 6-7 IDs worth of troops and most of the Allied BFs and Engineers?

Especially considering Tom is already ahead with about 4,2:1 in VPs. Add the troops, ships and bases in SOPAC + Chungking and the rest of China and he will have a 6-7:1 lead and I will have no troops and no ships to try and bag 10.000 VPs in 6 months...

If anyone believes that person have way more faith in me then I deserve! [:D]

You get tons of BFs and Seabees in late '42! Tons!

EDIT:

Put some of your troops at Chungking in Reserve mode to protect them from bombardments, until he brings in more AV and looks ready to attack.

This is also as good a place as any to flood with subs. Where are they? Even if they remain at DL 10/10 from KB flights, they'll give you intel on its position and other movements.

Lastly...interesting setup he has going there. Looks like KB minus 1 CV for the strike package, with larger strike units, and then that 1 CV plus the CVLs/CVEs for a full fighter force. Interesting, interesting...
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

Beware of Target fixation.

He seems to be feeding your fear about attacks in the Fiji/Pago Pago region, lots of noise but little action.
Why would he have started screwing up his Invasion fleets now???

Something odd is happening, it might be he was trying to take out your CV force in advance, it might be cover for a decisive landing somewhere else (my vote), keeps your eyes open.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
Cribtop

Post by Cribtop »

If JeffK is right, it would almost have to be somewhere he can land under LBA unless you are sure Mr. Kane knows your CVs are in SOPAC. What areas fit that bill, if any?
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: JeffK

Too late.[:D]

I just hope he fixated enough!

PS: Couldn't take it any longer and broke down and read Mr. Kane's AAR.

I was looking for an evil, take over the world, laugh smiley but couldn't find one.[:D]
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Too late.[:D]

I just hope he fixated enough!

PS: Couldn't take it any longer and broke down and read Mr. Kane's AAR.

I was looking for an evil, take over the world, laugh smiley but couldn't find one.[:D]
Will this do?

Attachments
pointingsmiley.gif
pointingsmiley.gif (14.62 KiB) Viewed 63 times
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

[font="Verdana"]Here we go indeed![/font]

Not much happened during the turn. Finback makes two attacks against a BB TF centered around Haruna and Kirishima. No sweeps, no recon, no nothing.

The allies sit back and watch the show...for now.

------------------------
Japanese intentions
------------------------

I´m still confused by what Tom is trying to do. If he was going for the Samoans why not land on something closer? There are several unoccupied dot bases between Fiji and Samoans that would serve just as well if not better.

I´ll continue to just monitor the situation for now. But right now I´m thinking this is a mistake on Toms part. There is simply no need to put forces at risk at this stage. He has a comfortable 4,3:1 lead and all he had to do was dig in and wait for me to come to him. Operating the KB + much of the Navy this far from the HI must be taxing on his LOC.

Of course it will only be a mistake if I can make him pay for it...

------------------------
Allied response
------------------------

Will be limited for now. I´m still sorting some stuff out. Looking at my situation I´m pretty happy but I´m missing a couple of pieces before I´ll strike back. ¨

-If he comes for the Samoans I´m already as ready as I can be.
-If he is going to try for Fiji I will gain time as he will need to re prep his troops. More time to dig in. Forts are already at 3 and 4 and rising with almost 0.3 each turn.

Whatever his objective is he has now exposed his troops and given me a good opportunity to hit back from well established allied positions.

As Hans says he has also put himself in the awkward position where he has to keep the KB around for whatever time he needs to finish the OP. He has not sent the KB back to refit and get the radars on the "kakus". Even if he immediately goes for the Samoans it will take months to capture them. In my game vs. Erik I had 4 BBs and 200 4Es hit a lone Jap ID at PM with level 6 forts for 2 or 3 months before they were finally kicked out. In the end it took 1 USMC IDs, 2 US ID + armor and a fully prepped HQ combo to do it. PM is Jungle hex (x2) just as every island on Fiji and Samoa.

Now I just need to figure out the best way to start nibbling at his forces...

This of course also opens up vast avenues in NOPAC, CENTPAC and Burma. While the first two might not help much in the way of VPs leaving them for me to take will make he position very hard in the coming years.

I´ll have a day to ponder things as I will be leaving town in a couple of hours. Heading out to my dads birthday party. But for now I´ll remain optimistic about the situation.

Attachments
Fijiattack2.jpg
Fijiattack2.jpg (264.89 KiB) Viewed 63 times
MrBlizzard

Post by MrBlizzard »

Ready for the big action show, very excited [:D]
Don't comment 'cause reading both
Blizzard
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

Can I politely request those reading both AAR keep quiet, from MrBlizzards & BBFanboys posts you could assume something is VERY imminent and you may give Joc time to avoid the trap. (Being hypothetical here, I cant see him picking up and moving out)

Sit back and enjoy from the bleachers, dont feel you have to have input.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
Will this do?

But what side will it apply to?

We shall find out shortly who is the real Brain! [:D]<evil laugh>

Clash of the Titans at Fiji!

Attachments
pinky.jpg
pinky.jpg (16.75 KiB) Viewed 63 times
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Can I politely request those reading both AAR keep quiet, from MrBlizzards & BBFanboys posts you could assume something is VERY imminent and you may give Joc time to avoid the trap. (Being hypothetical here, I cant see him picking up and moving out)

To be clear, I am not reading the other AAR, and am as mystified as Jocke about Japanese intentions. All I did was find a smiley that was laughing for Lowpe.
Lowpe's comments did make me think there is something "out of the box" about Mr. Kane's plans which piqued my interest in watching how this all plays out, but did
not give me any clue as to what they are.

Attachments
popcorn_ea..s_smiley.gif
popcorn_ea..s_smiley.gif (11.5 KiB) Viewed 63 times
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

To be clear, I am not reading the other AAR, and am as mystified as Jocke about Japanese intentions. All I did was find a smiley that was laughing for Lowpe.
Lowpe's comments did make me think there is something "out of the box" about Mr. Kane's plans which piqued my interest in watching how this all plays out, but did
not give me any clue as to what they are.

Oh no.,
I was chortling about my ability to read both sides...more so than any plans either player has in place as they try to conquer the world.

Return to “After Action Reports”