DW Universe is not as moddable as it was advertised!

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

TeurisKador

DW Universe is not as moddable as it was advertised!

Post by TeurisKador »

It seems DW Universe is not as moddable as it was advertised, since it is not even possible to change weapon properties. By that I mean I want phasers to have 50% chance to bypass shields(which is more realistic), but that is not possible and so is very frustrating. Although, I thought that instead I could just put Type=RailGun and have a phaser graphic effect, but NO it is not possible as well...great moddability...

Could somebody fix this in the next patch? I do not want to believe that buying DW Universe was an utter waste of money.

Thank you for your understanding.
Tyrador

RE: DW Universe is not as moddable as it was advertised!

Post by Tyrador »

ORIGINAL: TeurisKador

It seems DW Universe is not as moddable as it was advertised, since it is not even possible to change weapon properties. By that I mean I want phasers to have 50% chance to bypass shields(which is more realistic), but that is not possible and so is very frustrating. Although, I thought that instead I could just put Type=RailGun and have a phaser graphic effect, but NO it is not possible as well...great moddability...

Could somebody fix this in the next patch? I do not want to believe that buying DW Universe was an utter waste of money.

Thank you for your understanding.

I can confirm that, it's indeed frustrating. Hopefully, Erik will done something about it, since it is the least hard thing to do I suppose.
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

I do not want to believe that buying DW Universe was an utter waste of money.

Really?
Blackstork

Post by Blackstork »

Before you starting to think so you better dive into this forum and see that devs been quite responsive, and are implementing more and more tools.
To tell the truth, i see much more important and vital features that could be added to modding than one you requesting, and another truth that i think, despite lacking in modularity (well, modding some features is possible but it is very complex and is very cumbersome), and alteration of many hard-coded numbers is not possible (like one you mentioned), DW:U have quite nice modding potential, but it have and need to improve, and devs do improve it.

Also after combining what DW:U modding community done with original game i wont understand anyone who will say that DW:U, even potentially, could be a waste of sum, which been requested to pay for it.
Alien Immersion (WIP) : tm.asp?m=3651979
Beyond Extended Universe (WIP): tm.asp?m=3657646
TeurisKador

Post by TeurisKador »

I agree that I was a bit too hard on DW Universe. Just it is so strange that devs did implement ability to change weapon range and etc, but did not implement shield bypass with other component features in the components.txt file. For me every bit of the game is well worth the money, but one small thing that was for some unknown reason not included spoils the game's moddability so much. If it was some large thing, than that's fine, but not here...
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

I agree that I was a bit too hard on DW Universe. Just it is so strange that devs did implement ability to change weapon range and etc, but did not implement shield bypass with other component features in the components.txt file. For me every bit of the game is well worth the money, but one small thing that was for some unknown reason not included spoils the game's moddability so much. If it was some large thing, than that's fine, but not here...
Hello TeurisKador, and welcome to the forums!

As a tester, I admit that there are certain areas that I also wish would have been open to modding. But
to say that because you can't exclusively mod phaser values to bypass shields makes the game not worth
what you spent or a waste of your money is (respectfully speaking) quite illogical.

If you've played this game, and understand its concept, then I think you realize how complicated this
game is. In addition, the developer has created a VERY FINE balance of everything within this game. I
respect your right to opinion,
and all opinions are valid and may be spoken here respectfully. My
advice to you would be to just politely add your request to this forums' Master Wishlist.
A large
majority of what is moddable in this game have come to fruition because Elliot and Erik read the
community's requests. True, not all are implemented, but I'm certain many members here will attest
that they do implement many.

Please continue to enjoy the game and PLEASE add any and all of your ideas to the Master Wishlist. I
would enjoy seeing one (or more) of your ideas in a beta patch for me to test!
[:)]
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
TeurisKador

Post by TeurisKador »

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1

Hello TeurisKador, and welcome to the forums!

As a tester, I admit that there are certain areas that I also wish would have been open to modding. But
to say that because you can't exclusively mod phaser values to bypass shields makes the game not worth
what you spent or a waste of your money is (respectfully speaking) quite illogical.

If you've played this game, and understand its concept, then I think you realize how complicated this
game is. In addition, the developer has created a VERY FINE balance of everything within this game. I
respect your right to opinion,
and all opinions are valid and may be spoken here respectfully. My
advice to you would be to just politely add your request to this forums' Master Wishlist.
A large
majority of what is moddable in this game have come to fruition because Elliot and Erik read the
community's requests. True, not all are implemented, but I'm certain many members here will attest
that they do implement many.

Please continue to enjoy the game and PLEASE add any and all of your ideas to the Master Wishlist. I
would enjoy seeing one (or more) of your ideas in a beta patch for me to test!
[:)]

Thanks. To be clear, I not only modify phaser bypass values, but all component specific values.
Example:
' - Weapons: Value1=damage amount, Value2=range, Value3=energy consumed per firing, Value4=movement speed, Value5=damage loss per 100 units range, Value6=fire rate in milliseconds, Value7=bombard damage amount, Value8=shield bypass rate, Value9=targeting bonus, Value10=weapon graphics type (beam/particle/missile/bomb/pointdefence/area)

Seriously, how hard can it be to add this? I do not believe it would be harder than addition of the rest of the values.

I not asking some sort of gargantuan super moddability as a lot of people ask, but a small feature that is ought to be there. Since how come it is possible to change virtually all component values but not is graphics or properties?
Osito

Post by Osito »

I think it's a fair point that many people hoped DW:U would be more moddable than turned out to be the case. Whether that was a majority of people, I don't know, but certainly there have been a significant number of posts on the issue. I was a bit disappointed myself.

I suspect you can't correctly say it wasn't as moddable as advertised. I haven't looked back myself, but I suspect the advertising claims are in line with what was delivered. Of course a company's expertise with the use of language sometimes leaves these things a little deceptive, but that's normal ;-)

It does look like the devs are looking at the posts made (at least those which receive a lot of feedback), and are making further improvements.

I think the main problem with the game is that it wasn't really built with moddability in mind in the first place. That's why I'm convinced we need to look to a DW2 to deliver the next level of 4x space game. As long as the devs retain their vision from the first game, it ought to be awesome.

Osito
Osito
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

The latest patch greatly improved moddability. Even more sure would be appreciated, though. [:D]
mensrea

Post by mensrea »

You can mod weapon projectile graphics. Check the components file to find out more but here is an example snipped from my components text:

0, SR Lance, 0, 0, laser.wav,

The third zero there corresponds to the "Special Image Index", which is a reference to all the image files here: images\effects\weapons. All you have to do is add the image you want, name it beam13 or whatever number isn't taken, place a 13 instead of the 0, and then the weapons projectile animation will be what you changed it to. You can also edit the existing images into whatever you want.

Honestly, I would kind of like to see the unobfuscated source code made public and permission given to modders to work with it. It's C++ so its not like editing some text files, but it would open up a world of possibilities and require no further work from the developers. They would then be free to pursue DW2 (assuming that is in the works). I understand there would be concerns of piracy but to be frank the game is probably already easy to pirate.

That being said I think a lot of modders have found some very interesting ways to work with the tools they were given. I never really put much thought into character modding for example but Blackstork has shown that given enough characters you can essentially further define a race past its race and policy files. I see a lot of innovative ideas floating around and I wonder how many more will be revealed by people trying to push the envelope using what we already have.
TeurisKador

Post by TeurisKador »

ORIGINAL: mensrea

You can mod weapon projectile graphics. Check the components file to find out more but here is an example snipped from my components text:

0, SR Lance, 0, 0, laser.wav,

The third zero there corresponds to the "Special Image Index", which is a reference to all the image files here: images\effects\weapons. All you have to do is add the image you want, name it beam13 or whatever number isn't taken, place a 13 instead of the 0, and then the weapons projectile animation will be what you changed it to. You can also edit the existing images into whatever you want.

Honestly, I would kind of like to see the unobfuscated source code made public and permission given to modders to work with it. It's C++ so its not like editing some text files, but it would open up a world of possibilities and require no further work from the developers. They would then be free to pursue DW2 (assuming that is in the works). I understand there would be concerns of piracy but to be frank the game is probably already easy to pirate.

That being said I think a lot of modders have found some very interesting ways to work with the tools they were given. I never really put much thought into character modding for example but Blackstork has shown that given enough characters you can essentially further define a race past its race and policy files. I see a lot of innovative ideas floating around and I wonder how many more will be revealed by people trying to push the envelope using what we already have.

That's the point, you can only edit a 'projectile' only, not a laser beam. Because I thought of going around the shield penetration by replacing railguns with beam graphics, as well as replacing point defense cannons, but it did not work, there was no laser beam but a long projectile only.

I fully agree that devs would make their life so much easier if they would release the code or allow modders to change more variables. Look at the Kerbal Space Program modding community, it is fun in itself, but mods really shape the game to a highest possible level.
feygan

Post by feygan »

I generally agree with most of this post op and wonder just why DW:U was released at all. I can understand that perhaps certain aspects of modding that are locked to us are for reasons such as unlocking them could break your game and cause unpleasant crashes etc. This could be because certain parts of the game need to be moved to different areas such as the customization files etc before they become a stable modding component.

However if it has been due to design and balance and the developer not wanting to upset that balance that makes zero sense at all. Generally the entire concept of game modding upsets balance away from the original design to better suit the design intent of the modder. That could mean in the modders mind shields are some uber device that blocks everything, and that is cool because it allows everyone to play the game how they want, this is the basic principle of modding after all. So if DW has had some aspects of it;s modding restricted for reasons of design, then it further reduces the need or point of the latest expansion. If anything it becomes a slap in the face by saying "you can play on this patch of grass, but not the one next to it because that's mine".
Tyrador

Post by Tyrador »

ORIGINAL: feygan

I generally agree with most of this post op and wonder just why DW:U was released at all. I can understand that perhaps certain aspects of modding that are locked to us are for reasons such as unlocking them could break your game and cause unpleasant crashes etc. This could be because certain parts of the game need to be moved to different areas such as the customization files etc before they become a stable modding component.

However if it has been due to design and balance and the developer not wanting to upset that balance that makes zero sense at all. Generally the entire concept of game modding upsets balance away from the original design to better suit the design intent of the modder. That could mean in the modders mind shields are some uber device that blocks everything, and that is cool because it allows everyone to play the game how they want, this is the basic principle of modding after all. So if DW has had some aspects of it;s modding restricted for reasons of design, then it further reduces the need or point of the latest expansion. If anything it becomes a slap in the face by saying "you can play on this patch of grass, but not the one next to it because that's mine".

Exactly my thoughts! There is indeed little point in making modder friendly version of the game if developers are not keen in giving us ability to change game mechanics. As Teuris pointed out it is not that modders would like to be able to change virtually all the game, but at least great deal of it. Restrictions are bad both for modders and developers, since modding extends the lifetime of the game so much.
feygan

Post by feygan »

Just to be clear I have no problem with the design concept of the vanilla DW game and love it for what it is. My problem is just that you don't open a door to modding only halfway because you may have some personal feelings about how your product may be used. If the developer wishes to keep DW as they envisioned it and true to the original design spirit then I fully support that. But giving a little modding support and locking some away for design reasons is a little crappy and comes across as a pandering exercise to increase the sales life of a product.

Of course there could be real technical problems that have meant only small parts of the game at a time have been opened up and this could simply be an ongoing process to slowly unlock the other areas too. Until there is definite conformation on just how far the modding will go before being classed as finished then I will hold back any real opinion on the matter.
Tophat1815

Post by Tophat1815 »

Seriously? Why was DWU released at all? If you had followed the development of the game at all.....no sorry too confrontational for our current day and age. Allow me to rephrase please. From the release of the first distant worlds release this game caught peoples attention with its novel take on a 4x strategy game. The graphics were for the day quite basic but the concept,game play and race interactions made for a fun addictive game.

With each expansion more was added to the game by Elliot who had started out as a one man effort behind the game. Time is pressing on me and I won't list all that has been done by this man to basically bring players a really satisfying gaming experience,its my opinion but play it for yourself and each of you make the call.

The only draw back after 4 expansions I saw was the $ for buying all 4 modules of the game. Did I think it was worth the price? Sure but I could see a new player coing in having to drop upwards of $100 might take a pass on a great game. DWU comes along and gives you base game and expansions for basically the original price of the game. Now its affordable by everyone with many,many extra features and lo and behold its also on steam!

Why was DWU released? So everyone could play an affordable fantastic 4x game!

That help at all or is your modding issue really a game stopper?
Tyrador

Post by Tyrador »

ORIGINAL: Tophat1812

Seriously? Why was DWU released at all? If you had followed the development of the game at all.....no sorry too confrontational for our current day and age. Allow me to rephrase please. From the release of the first distant worlds release this game caught peoples attention with its novel take on a 4x strategy game. The graphics were for the day quite basic but the concept,game play and race interactions made for a fun addictive game.

With each expansion more was added to the game by Elliot who had started out as a one man effort behind the game. Time is pressing on me and I won't list all that has been done by this man to basically bring players a really satisfying gaming experience,its my opinion but play it for yourself and each of you make the call.

The only draw back after 4 expansions I saw was the $ for buying all 4 modules of the game. Did I think it was worth the price? Sure but I could see a new player coing in having to drop upwards of $100 might take a pass on a great game. DWU comes along and gives you base game and expansions for basically the original price of the game. Now its affordable by everyone with many,many extra features and lo and behold its also on steam!

Firstly there is no need to be rude and secondly your statement is off the topic, since it has little to do with ability to mod component specific properties that should be modifiable.

Have a good day.[:)]
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: lurchi

The latest patch greatly improved moddability. Even more sure would be appreciated, though. [:D]

But don't we always want more?

I myself have a long list of changes I'd like to see, but I realize that most of them probably won't materialize (unless we want to wait 10 years for them.). [:D]

Personally I'd like some abstracted form of factories for instance...resources go in, goodies go out. I'd also like to be able to define my own planetary facilities...a Central bank that decreases colony corruption for example.

Many of my wish list items are probably better proposed for a DW2, rather than DW:U, and I realize this.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Tophat1815

Post by Tophat1815 »

ORIGINAL: Tyrador

Firstly there is no need to be rude and secondly your statement is off the topic, since it has little to do with ability to mod component specific properties that should be modifiable.

My reply was to feygan and the "I don't know why DWU was released at all" comment. Which didn't seem to have much to do with your issue over modding a phaser beam ingame to your requirements. If I offended you with my answer to his question it was unintentional.

Also I see erik responded to you in the tech support thread and your item has made the wishlist! Bravo
feygan

Post by feygan »

I followed the development and release closely and I think my question remains a valid one. The main purpose of DWU was to open up modding, other than that all it did was give new players an extra scenario to play in and a couple of extra technologies to play with. Yes it was a nice reduced price package compared to how expensive the original & expansions had got to, however you do not need an expansion to reduce the price of a game. There are far too many GOTY edition games out there for me to start listing examples of this.

Your argument about the game being on steam also has no bearing on the DWU expansion, it could of just as easily been put on there with the base game & expansions or a collectors type edition too. I am wondering though what "many many extra features" you are hinting at? Sure there were some balance and bug issues from the shadows expansion fixed up (not a feature). Though for a person who just wants to play the game you simply got to play humans in the ancient era (a simple scenario addition of a couple of events added to the beginning of the main timeline), and to build planet destroyers along with the super techs. That really isn't many features for a person who has no interest in modding. Almost the entire premise of this expansion is that it gave modding features to players.

To answer directly from my own point of view, yes it completely is a game stopper in as far as this expansion goes. I still love the vanilla game and have almost no issue at all with how it functions or it's design. But this is not about that, this is about a feature of an expansion that at this time is mostly not present, since you are in the modding section I would imagine you must have some modding interest yourself?
Tyrador

Post by Tyrador »

ORIGINAL: Tyrador

My reply was to feygan and the "I don't know why DWU was released at all" comment. Which didn't seem to have much to do with your issue over modding a phaser beam ingame to your requirements. If I offended you with my answer to his question it was unintentional.

Also I see erik responded to you in the tech support thread and your item has made the wishlist! Bravo

My item? Which item you're talking about?

If you read closely it has everything to do with the modding (included modding weapon components), as feygan said:'So if DW has had some aspects of it;s modding restricted for reasons of design, then it further reduces the need or point of the latest expansion.'

On the other hand you began to talk about a price, which again has nothing to do with the modding and specific issue of this thread, which is about lack of full moddablity of the DWU. Stating the price and telling how affordable it is brings nothing new and constructive to the issue that is undeniably present and needs to be solved for the sake of the game itself.

It is indeed a sort of game stopper for me, since some modding restrictions prevent me from creating a mod that will be enjoyable for DWU players to play and so boost the popularity of the game. And it must be popular, because it has the potential to be so. Being defensive of everything that is present now, is doing anything but a favor to the game, development must go forward not backward.[:)]

Return to “Design and Modding”