[A.62] {WIP} Beyond Extended Universe (DW:U 1.9.5.9)

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Blackstork

RE: {WIP} Beyond Extended Universe - ALPHA RELEASE IS UP!

Post by Blackstork »

I'll send the racials now,
For the Ledership Portfolios Charts - we need to put them inot the pedias too (simple to put inside, without doing or writing anything)
Here few options:
- adding them to race pedia entry
- creating another sub-entry for leadership portfolios
- adding them as sub entries for Character System Concept
they are things i will do last for release, because i prioritize thngs that do change mechanic themselves so i can run tests while i will be doing cosmetic/explanatory things like rest of diplo tracks/charts/etc.
For now i have only one done and it is embedded in proper resolution in the post few posts above.
Alien Immersion (WIP) : tm.asp?m=3651979
Beyond Extended Universe (WIP): tm.asp?m=3657646
Blackstork

Post by Blackstork »

2 more teasers, eyewashers and explainers about ALPHA.5

1. Here is comparison of 2 different race Character System, As you see by Leadership Portfolio how 2 protosomatic races could be different, and if CS applied even on seemingly similar races (which are none), they could be made very different as well this way, now we take 2 different races of same family, and their CS showcasing each ones focus and specialization and intended style of play.

2. New teaser - because i dont want to use Ergreagd race-specific UI as placeholder for races which UI is not done yet, i made quickly Such-Oos inspired, but neutral, Beyond-specific placeholder UI which will be used for races which dont have own UI yet. It will go obsolete eventually as Alien Immersion project advances:
angrytiger

Post by angrytiger »

I'm about to pick up DW:U through Steam after having kept my eye on it for the past few months, and being a person who loves always being able to find something new throughout an entire gameplay session, I'm of course aiming to pick up a huge mod right away so that I can get a vanilla playthrough done, then head into the huge new stuff.

That said, many references were made to the Extended Universe mod, which seems to have been the previous catch-all, "huge expansion with lots of stuff" mod. Now, seeing this thread, I'm curious: the OP suggests as much, but is Extended Universe INCLUDED in this mod? Because if so, rather than try both that one and this one, I'd rather just pick up this one, what with all the other things it's changed. Bandwidth is at a bit of a premium, so no point double-dipping, I should think.
Blackstork

Post by Blackstork »

Hello and wellcome to DW:U Community! :)
Yes, this game includes Extended Universe Mod completely and actually further its expansion with alot of new features, art and some other prominent mods that enchance flavour, immersion, visuals and AI.
While Extended Universe expands race set of the game to 40 races and changes race art, Beyond adds to it:
-more 8 races (6 implemented, 2 will come in coming soon release), ending with number of 48 races. All of them tested, balanced, and unique to play.
-more balance between races and alot more of race differentiation, because now we use another tool which is characters. By making race-specific sets of characters we control, expand or limit race abilities, make it more specialized, and make races with similar parameters still more different to play
-said character system - each race have own set of "possible" characters which re-define race, and this system add alot of immersion, lore and personnel mini game mechanic where race of character matter, race of 2nd population can be valued by characters it can provide, dismiss button is useful, and there more sense in academies. Also, unique portraits for each character planned and currently implemented for one race as example of final aim.
-it includes quite a bunch of cosmetic mods, my immersion project which creeates unique user interface pannel for each race, and awesome AI improvement mod by Icemania, which also have hidden weapon rebalance and more.
-full set of race-specific 48 deplomatic music sets - collection of picked and cut music pieces for each race which played on diplomatic screen will be added in upcoming release.

It is alot to do, and this mod is still on ALPHA stage ad in extensive WIP, but it is completely playable and already a much more expanded game.

Blackstork

Post by Blackstork »

Another Leadership Profile,
This was a monster character system, whew :P

DinoSaurus

Post by DinoSaurus »

[:)]

First: Hello everyone in DW-Space...

... just enterted the Hyperspace of DW first time...

Very interesting here... very! I thought about to add a ascandacy-mod (only for myself due to the legal aspect, I think), based on another mod - but I think I can skip this, because of so many wonderful ideas... and I am a newbe in DW (especially modding). And I also started playing DW universe a few weeks ago...

... but I have some ideas which maybe could be interesting (I do not know if this is the correct thread, I'm sorry if not...^^)

e.g. RACE-families:

MECHANOID - I think not all machines are ANTI-SHAKTURI, or? Would be interesting to add a destruktive Machine race...
NEBULOID - thinking of ASCANDANCY races, but a fluid race would be intersting
ANORGANIC - also think of ASCANDANCY (SHEVAR)

Is there also a possibility to terraform planets and change e.g. desert into swamp, or barren into desert?!

Or are there any habitate components to built habitats on barren planets, asteroids or gasplanets (maybe like star wars episode 5)?

too many questions... I am sorry...^^
Blackstork

Post by Blackstork »

Hello and Wellcome!
This mod do implement and accept new ideas after testing them, the problem that there is limitation for 50 races and the mod have 48 already.

Acendancy ideas are nice, and could be implemented, into this mod at least, after its main part is done and it will pass to BETA stage at least and Devs will lift limit to 50 races .

As answers to your questions:
1. Yes there is posibility to terraform planets
2. No, you cant settle / build habitats on barrens and gas giants.

And again, you are welcome! :)
DinoSaurus

Post by DinoSaurus »

Uff!

50 races as maximum?!

Oh

*schnieff*

[X(]

And well, thanks for welcome... [:)]
Blackstork

Post by Blackstork »

ALPHA.5 Final Release date announce - 22.08.2014.
It will contain:
Maximization of difference between races compared to vannila and regular race mods and rebalance through implementation of race-specific Character Systems (400-500 characters per race ) featuring race specializations, race-specific social structures, special groups/houses/castes within each race which influence empire's layout and race gameplay. Adding more flavour, immersion, lore, depth, and unique approach into each race play. . Adding new races and governments. Race specific user interface, and full collection of 48 sets of race-specific diplomatic music. Unique portrait art for each character planned. Immersion Names following race-specific phonetics. Big modpack with alot of good mods combined. WIP but fully playable at curent release providing alot of new stuff. Races: 48. Goverments: 22. Races with character system implemented: 11/48, Races with unique face implemented: 1/48. Mods integrated: 8
Character system including LP charts and dev gameplay tips/summary: Ergreagd, Dhayut, Such-Oos, Dlakar, Laaran, Yereni, Archei, Zadaj, Veey, Quameno, Gizurean
AKicebear

Post by AKicebear »

Very excited for the next release - gives me an incentive to wrap up my current game so I can switch day-of!
Euler

Post by Euler »

Blackstork this is an amazing project you are doing and I thank you and everyone who are making this game so incredible.

I have a question, since this is listed as being in Alpha, but you say it is playable. Have you thought about play-balance? I could see with so many races and variables that you could create some overpowered and underpowered races that would have to be adjusted. Has that been done?

It looks great, but I am a little nervous to jump into an Alpha release. Should I just throw caution to the wind and go for it?

Once again thanks for all your contributions!
Blackstork

Post by Blackstork »

Hello , wellcome and thanks for your interest.

I am running test games non-stop, and this mod is about balance at first place. I trying to balance races with not flattening their bonuses, but adding additional dimensions and traits you can define races with, and then adjusting and toning currently op races there.
Obcourse, my pov is from AI vs AI, and actually playing it on alpha will contribute to be balanced in player hands (because some races bonuses human player can exploit more) so i more than encourage to play Alpha, i think and hope it will be good experience.
Obcourse there could be and will be some slight disbalances but i am fixing and tuning things instantly, and running non-stop tests all the time. While AI vs AI is something easy for me work with thru non-stop tests, Player hands experience can help and contribute alot, and as far as i know game is balanced for player too, just may be need very precise fine tuning here and there.

Yes this is very playable alpha, because it contain own material sized with few small mods already, and includes other, full-scale mods into it. This release will bring new Quamenos and Gizureans, so you also will be able to compare their playing experience before and after versus new races and races with adjusted positive character system.

Why i call it alpha? because not all character systems implemented. They change game subtly, but alot. Once i will release all races character systems, it will pass to BETA, once all portraits will be done (as Ergreagd) i will call it final release, but this is very playable game, and at ALPHA.5 there will be enough of things to hint what it could be once it is done, and will be so all the time before the point when i will call it FINAL . :)

Btw all planned for a.5 systems are done, i doing charts atm , some small fixes, and need to finish all 48 race diplomatic music pack (its alot of cutting work)

Cheers
hewwo

Post by hewwo »

oh wow, I can't believe I've never actually read this thread before... very impressive and creative use of the character system! Also I'm very happy about all the lore talk, I love lore:) I know this is very playable, but with the star trek mod just being released... I'll give this a shot once you get to beta ;)
Blackstork

Post by Blackstork »

Hello and wellcome. Beta won't be up soon, because each character system requires 2h-4h of extensive work, and that not including testing. This means getting there will take 1-2 month of my extensive work on my free hobby hours (i am quite busy 33 yo person with family etc). Meanwhile races with released systems are very close or same to what they will be on beta, and I don't see the reason to not to play as those 11 races (from today's evening patch). Obcourse ST mod is awesome, and shame I don't have time to try it myself (I'll do that eventually) but if you holding it to beta just because you don't want to play alpha I could say that if you play races with Cs implemented you will get the beta beyond feel. (Not complete, but it still differ a lot from vanilla, esp for some races
hewwo

Post by hewwo »

Alright! I'm really curious to see how this system will work, so I'll give it a go:)
Blackstork

Post by Blackstork »

ORIGINAL: hewwo

Alright! I'm really curious to see how this system will work, so I'll give it a go:)
Enjoy :) it quite subtle but it changes alot in terms of gameplay and balance. The thing its subtle means it is fits right. Once i will post it up there will be some guidelines dont forget to check them because they will mention what have different races, including vanilla ones which been re-adjusted
Blackstork

Post by Blackstork »

[center]Disclaimer 1
This is big mod and modpack, despite being alpha, is completely playable game which contain many many many things which are working and polished and already is stand-alone game

Disclaimer 2
This mod add alot of changes into the game. In order to adapt to those changes, find them and experience them at fullest its hightly reccomended to read the wall of text below, or at least "guide" part of it.

Disclaimer 3
This mod weight alot due: high qty of content, alot of assets (music, art)and neccesity of creating certain placeholders for unique portrait character art.[/center]

Disclaimer 4
Some informative features (pedia entries, charts on the forum) might be not appear on first day of release and will be added soon eventaully)[/center]

Hello and Welcome to Beyond Project! Beyond project is ultimate attempt to take DW:U world’s depth, race difference, character of each race onto next level , adding and merging a lot of great mods, features, races, and creating very deep and complex “Character System” which features serious influence on race difference, gameplay, specialization, and add a lot of flavor, lore, special groups, houses and castes, and aim for creating unique character portrait for each single character among 20000 + planned using extensive art work and programming.

Table Of Contents:
1. Download and Instalation instructions

2. Patch notes.

3. Final Aim.

4. Dev notes on gameplay difference.

5. Race-specific Character systems showcase / guide with “Leadership Portfolio” Charts and Dev notes.

1. Download and Installation

DL LINK: http://www.mediafire.com/download/g1103 ... Beyond.zip
Download, Extract, copy with overwrite all contents of folder "BEYOND" into DEFAULT original GAME FOLDER. Activate as theme and enjoy!

HERE PARTIAL DOWNLOAD:

UPGRADE FROM .43 to .5, copy contents into .43 theme folder
http://www.mediafire.com/download/03mx9 ... c/a.50.zip

DIPLO sound pack, copy Sounds folder into default game folder
http://www.mediafire.com/download/gc9zr ... Sounds.zip

2. Release ALPHA.5 patch notes

1. Added 2 more races, details and descruptions at bottom of this post.
2. Huge amount of small and wide tweaks. (Really alot)
3. Added more 7 character systems, approx 400 characters for each race. About what is it please read in this thread or in this post below.
4. Added new informative feature - leadership portfolio graphic chart.
5. Added placeholder Beyond themed UI which will be replaced eventually by race-specific interfaces.
6. Added all progress from Alien Immersion project.
7. Added default Beyond Soundtrack.
8. Added 48 race ,full diplomatic music pack. Now each race will play its own music on diplomatic screen.
9. Alliance system - now all races devided into 4 alliances, acoording to their lore/alignrment, additionally to lore-influenced diplomacy modifiers.

3. Final Aim.

Mod aims to create ultimate, immersive experience.Final aim is complete rebalance, remake of the game with at least 50 races, much more difference between races, epic feel and story even in random game, immersion, visualisation, flavor. At end each race will have own charatcer system which mirrors its society, and any groups/castes/politic blocks within it. Each charatcer will have unique portrait art. As example of unique portrait art please see race "Ergreagd"

4. Dev notes on game difference.

In addition to new races, art and minor features, and improved AI coming from awesome AI mod integrated into this mod, made by Icemania, it overhauls and completely remakes certain parts of the game.
a.Character system is completely redone, and each race have own, race-specific character set.
b.Race-specific character system explains social structure of race, and is another race-defining veriable which affects heavilly race balance and abilities.
c.Each race have certain "groups" - castes, tribes, polotocal blocks, departments. Each of them add more flavor, lore and also heavy game influence, and possible strategies to win the game with certain race. Understanding your race character system, and its groups is neccesary for all races in future of Beyond .
d.At start of each game same race will start with same characters (leader and spies). Other characters will follow in random order, from the pool assigned and pre-made for this race, which outlining the race populacy, society and their and their leadership skills.
e.Now Dismiss button have more use as well as character generating buildings. Dismiss button could and should be used at times in order to swap characters, and is common tool to change leaders (if you have 100% original leader appearance).
Dismissing leaders is vital thing of character micromanagement, and game will provide you other leader immideately. After that dismissing will be put on cooldown, and some time will need to pass before you can gample/swap again.
f. some races have complex character systems, which extend the character pool and linked to their goverments.
h. its heavilyy recommended to build your strategy play towards acquiring complementing type of populacy (if your race donw know and bad at something - get other race in your empire to perform that role)
i. character system info is aviable , in compact but complex form in infographic "Leadership Portfolio" Charts below.

5. Race-specific comments.

Quameno
Quameno are simply less universal race than it in vanilla game. Its havilly specialized, narrowed, and research focus was emphasized, but narrowed as well into preferred by Quamenos research fields. Their characters require close watch in order to maximize your empire performance, and character system featuring selective technocratic society, where ruling power must go through careful selection of most talented individuals from the “gray mass” in order to educate, promote and give them more power, and by this promote all the society. Quameno player faces need of careful selection and playing towards gathering most talented individuals, called Quenun and under his leadership. They are powerful and talented, and could lead government and research teams towads progress, while the majority wont have great leadership possibilities, is “the average gray mass”, and wont lead vital to nation projects as well as talented individuals will.

Gizurean
Gizzies got 5 tribes now, and they are mlore inline with other races

Ergreagd
Ergreagds are race that demand heavy character micromanagement, it is core of its gameplay. Unwatched personnel management can bring to race underperformance on extreme complexity levels, and watched one could provide serious rewards. Their rivaling houses system affecting their race performance heavily, especially on earlier stages/starts. They have very high rate of character generation, movement and replacement, as well extended character pool. The thing that player should know additionally to race, House and their governments mechanic and their Leadership Portfolio chart is that all 3 houses have different, but high level of leader replacement. Each government will provide serious specialization bonuses but allow certain, related to that government/house type of character to usurp the rule and replace Nagongds, which are weak to mediocre leaders. Replacement is Russian roulette thing, as your good specialist leaves his intended task and become Leader for some time (till next replacement will happen) switching some of his skills to leader ones. Such replacement events need to be watched carefully, and in case you find that returning rule to Nagongds will be better you should force such change with dismissing your newly-cooked house ruler , in case your Dismiss ability is off-cooldown. The Kerengds provide most wild Russian roulette and often mini-revolutions, while Urgegds specialize on governing so newly cooked leaders might match some high expectations, and Margagds are less prone to mini-revolutions.

Such-Oos
Such-Oos is physically race which must to engage in diplomacy in order to survive. They are very manipulative, and their diplomats have enough cuteness, charisma and brains to manipulate and engage in negotiations, and precise placing them could bring you wornders. They have very potent hi-tech research, and are played towards nurturing huge monster private sector, while engaging in heavy diplomacy/manipulation game, using allies as shields, watching very carefully their colonies because their colonies are prone to ground invasions, and grinding colonization techs which could be unlocked by Such-Oos faster than by other races because of their strong hi-tech research focus which ends with x2+ rate of hi-tech research compared to other fields.

Yereni

Dhayut
Dhayut have quite straightforward social structure and gameplay, having strong leaders, and focusing on stacking weapon and energy science bonuses creating quite sustainable research boost and their game play is very strategic warfare oriented, since their fleets able to stack hyper-space navigation bonuses and create most mobile fleets in the galaxy. They side with Dark Alliance.

Veey
Veey leadership reflects and deepens Veey theme and design – which is quite straightforward - rapid expansion and late game massive aoe damage. They have serious advantages on using planetary defenses (artilleries) and while quite defensive. Micromanagement of leadership towards fitting current needs of empire via Dismiss button might be required in order to maximize empire welfare. They side with Blue alliance.

Dlakar
Dlakar is about rapid conquest with Kalars, expansion and nurturing certain Dlakar population colonies with Ralaoks, who are kind of powerful males focused on reproduction process (yea, space worm machos). They have most powerful troops and possible high recruitment rate in the galaxy and quite big ships with a lot of fighters, and could be menacing foe. Micromanagement of leadership towards fitting current needs of empire via Dismiss button might be required in order to maximize empire welfare. They have weak economy, hence their leaders focused on more mundane tasks as hunting, killing and reproducing. They are hightly intelligent and have potent , but separated and specialized research. They side with Dark Alliance.

Laaran
Laarans are quite unique race with wide character system possibilities, that also influences the layout and geo-politic of Laaran empire. They are about unquestioned control and loyality, brainwashed, controlled, utilitarian society focused on effectiveness and subjugation and expanding own control, and ability to maintain that control over numerous captured colonies while having one huge and very developed homeworld which serves as Oronus residence, where their leadership inspires people like Mao Tze Dung or Stalin inspired masses in early communist China and Russia. They are take on extreme agressive utilitarian communist state. They have very potent leadership which have Inspiring presence trait, and they are played as snowball – starting low, building for long-time investment, nurturing own characters, and using 4 comitee departments, which are very specialized, in proper places in order maximize empire expansion and development. Understanding of their character system is necessary to optimize empire performance. Their government never change leaders, and their Oronus “Chief” leaders are about same with some slight difference, and could be gambled with Dismiss button, more on start of the game, because their snowballing effect could remove any reason for swapping them at later stages of the game. They ally with Dark Alliance.

Archei
Archei are mechanoids which built of micro mechanical nano-particles which serve at same way as cells for most of organic beings. Their nature and their architecture provide to them abilities of rapid regeneration, stealth and mimicry, and rapid construction. They are very picky on their habitat, and they are played around balance and manipulation of two major benefits their nano-nature provides - mimicry and rapid regeneration and construction. Their modified sub-breed versions are more exclusive and specialized manipulators of those powers. They are are race with great intelligence and tools to see enemy moves and predict attacks, while being covert and hardest target to pinpoint, which have great powers of regeneration and reconstruction.
They have simple and straightforward character system

Mechanoid race, which origins and past are barely can be guessed. Archei species are unique kind of species which are, initially of mechanic, programmed origin, consist of some unique "self-reforming", semi-liquid nano-particles, which are, though of mechanic origin as well, "live by themselves" in very similar way to human body cells. They regenerate quickly, and are quite intelligent. Their nanite-particle based construction and all their architecture, or "anathomy" demand very cold temperatures, normally hostile to many other species. They are native to Ice worlds, and they are stick mainly to them, because their cooling systems wont suffice in hotter cconditions and particles may evaporise - the process which is means slow death to Archei specimen.

Their history is blurred, but there many speculations that they might be another experiement of The Ancients, which preceded the making of Guardians. The hints for that are their strong affinity towards Guardians and utter hostility to Shakturi and The Way of Darkness goverments. Some say that they, perhaps, were designed by Ancients as another Mechanoid-like specimen which inteded to be focused on intelligence and building, because their nano-particle nature allows them to use advanced methods of mimicry and camouflage, which makes them potent infiltrators. In addition to that, their main skill is rapid nano-particle construction, which allows them to construct huge ships in incredibly short period of times, but the only and huge limiation to this their rapid building technologies viable only on very low temperature worlds.

The goverment they use opens another riddle before scientists and historicans of the universe - they use similar Super-Link management system to one used by electrovore worms Veey, allowing them to link themselves into one entity while keeping their personality, and transmit and share immence amounts of information between them instantly.

Zadaj
Zadaj, honorable, dependable insectoids are "odd bead" in the Insectoid species family - they are race of fierce, restless protector bees, which are un-commonly empathic, constructive and caring for insectoid race specimen. Their attitude made them arch-enemy of other, certain violent fierce Insectoid races as Sluken, Boskara and Gizurean. Later consider Zadaj as traitors, while Zadaj normally urge to protect softer lifeforms from so-called "brothers and sisters".

Their culture based on military honor, trust, and complete dedication. Their are zalous and fanatic to some obscene measaures, and its common to see at times Zadaj entities running protection services to softer, friendly specimen for low benefit , or no benefit at all, because such kind of behaviour is their social, ethical codex which they follow just because they were grown and educated "to be that way".

Original art of race picture: Gau Ke Yang, Ben Mauro, Carl Forsberg, Joel Sundberg, JoBeSu

[size=6]3 CHARTS WILL COME SOON[/size]
Euler

Post by Euler »

I have a question concerning this instruction:

"Download, Extract, copy with overwrite all contents of folder "BEYOND" into DEFAULT original GAME FOLDER."

This sounds like you want us to overwrite the original game. Is that correct, or are all these mods contained to just a single theme?

I am concerned if I have to replace the original game files for stability, compatibility, technical support, etc. Hopefully that's not the case. Thanks!

Blackstork

Post by Blackstork »

It wont change nothing, all the mod will go into theme folder.
The diplo music wont overwrite anything and just will be ADDED into default game sounds folder, thats a reason for this way of instlation. Currently theme-based diplo music packs wont work, so the diplo-music installed for all the game, as add-on which wont overwrite anything.
Euler

Post by Euler »

Ok great thanks I can't wait to give it a try!

Return to “Design and Modding”