Unit Experience

Commander - The Great War is the latest release in the popular and playable Commander series of historical strategy games. Gamers will enjoy a huge hex based campaign map that stretches from the USA in the west, Africa and Arabia to the south, Scandinavia to the north and the Urals to the east on a new engine that is more efficient and fully supports widescreen resolutions.
Commander – The Great War features a Grand Campaign covering the whole of World War I from the invasion of Belgium on August 5, 1914 to the Armistice on the 11th of November 1918 in addition to 16 different unit types including Infantry, Cavalry, Armoured Cars and Tanks, Artillery, Railroad Guns and Armoured Trains and more!

Moderators: Lord Zimoa, MOD_Commander_The_Great_War

toddtreadway

Unit Experience

Post by toddtreadway »

Looking through some of the game data files, it seems there is the possibility unit experience was either in the game at some point or is in the game and we just don't see it. Or maybe might be implemented in the future.

The reason I ask is that it seems as if it often makes more sense to simply disband a damaged unit that will take several turns to fully repair and regain efficiency and build another one. If there was some sort of experience level or National Morale penalty for losing units it would dissuade that practice.
zakblood

RE: Unit Experience

Post by zakblood »

for me to disband a formed up unit would cause uproar in any army of the time and later periods, not sure if the games supports it either but not seen any penalties mentioned anywhere but maybe others might know more ?

i'd always repair, as if you disaband you loose the experience, as you can always remove from the front to a rear area etc and use as a minor holding unit until you have either the resources / manpower etc
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
toddtreadway

Post by toddtreadway »

Is experience implemented? I see there are functions in the data files, but it looks like currently there is no experience level for the units. If there is (and I just can't see it), then I agree it definitely would make more sense to move units out of the line to repair them.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

Is experience implemented?

tbh i have no idea, as i also haven't found it as yet, but i'm sure it must be somewhere, just haven't looked hard enough at yet or found it etc[X(]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
toddtreadway

Post by toddtreadway »

It is in game_experience.lua

However, it looks like it is not being used.

Return to “Commander - The Great War”