Science ships?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Gas Can

Science ships?

Post by Gas Can »

So Ive been playing Star Trek mod for a while and it just came to me that all the ships(Galaxy class, etc) are for combat only. If we build science labs into capital ships, will it function like research stations? I could imagine sending deep space exploration ships to study anomalies already!
Evan85

RE: Science ships?

Post by Evan85 »

I'm pretty sure it would work.. though the merits are pretty questionable game-mechanics wise. Science is capped, so it takes a -huge- civilization to be able to benefit from more than 5-6 labs of a kind. Sticking them on ships would result in wasting cash on maintenance. I'd keep to using those on the most defended locations and +research planets for the bonuses.

Though it totally worth a try to see if a ship with labs gives the sci bonus when orbiting such planet. The ability to relocate when attacked or when you find a higher bonus would be invaluable. I'm also unsure if scientist can be sent to those ships. But if yes, my default play-style just evolved.

Other than that, for more trekky feeling, I'd rather try shielding and arming my explorers. They have top-notch scientific equipment by default (resource profile, hehh). But giving them proxy arrays and longrange scanners would almost worth it's cost. And they do what they did in the series - as in wandering alone aimlessly, spreading justice and harmony. [;)]
Why can't I make friends? Only my Nuclear Devastator understands me.
feelotraveller

Post by feelotraveller »

You can definitely place research labs on ships and they will function. (There is an old but very funny AAR where it was necessary since the homeworld kept having its spaceport trashed at the beginning of the game.) I'm pretty sure you will get the scientist bonuses as well. But you cannot gather the research bonuses which locations offer with ships...
johanwanderer

Post by johanwanderer »

We discussed this a while back in either Larry's or Das's series. My idea was to make a resupply ship with labs, then deploy it at the location with science bonus to see if that work. I have not had a chance to test it yet.

The reason to bother with this at all is to try and protect the scientists if/when you're unable to protect research stations.
Hikikomori

Post by Hikikomori »

Would be nice if this could work, i think lab stations at anomalies are vulnerable and cost quite a lot of cash for maintenance if well protected.

A ship could at least flee.
Gas Can

Post by Gas Can »

Tested it out, it does work as research station. However in the Research Station tap I also spotted that the "actual research output" is way lower than the "potential/total research out", not sure what that means.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”