Deal of the Week...great deals!

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

histgamer

RE: Deal of the Week...great deals!

Post by histgamer »

The first game I think I asked for when the deals started... YES PLEASE!
ORIGINAL: wings7

This week's deal "Gary Grigsby’s Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich" makes it's debut on Deal of the Week! I've been waiting for this one for quite awhile...Thank You! [:)] I didn't realize it was one of Talonsoft's games, Talonsoft really introduced me to modern (today's) computer war gaming [&o]...you've got one week to jump on this one!

Patrick
Qwixt

Post by Qwixt »

The complaints about the UI and a promised patch that never was delivered has me leery of getting it.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Any feedback from those who buy it would be of interest, I am sure. Thanks.
DanSez

Post by DanSez »

ORIGINAL: rosseau

Any feedback from those who buy it would be of interest, I am sure. Thanks.

Real world demands are eating up all my time at the moment.
I do freelance/contract work for marketing research database companies, which means some days are very long and some days I am mostly free. Knowing which day is which is a roll of the dice.
Any spare game time has been absorbed in 2 current PBEM War in the Pacific-AE (short scenario) games. I enjoy the dept and "micromanagement" of games like WitPAE so "staff planning" games like BoB/BtR (as I remembered it) are the types of games I look for.

That doesn't mean I don't appreciate better tools and interfaces to manage data. I am sure there are a number of improvements that could/should be made. Getting time to give a thorough review might be hard to find this week. But, download completed - hope to get it installed tonight and look over the game.

The Commander's job is to orchestrate and direct the three major dimensions of combat - space, time and force. Shattered Sword, the Untold Story of the Battle of Midway
gradenko2k

Post by gradenko2k »

Bombing the Reich is an okay game if you're planning to play as the British in the BoB scenario, but I couldn't really recommend the rest of the other sides. The game has zero inclination to tell you what you should be doing, nor will it tell you how to accomplish it and it's difficult to ascertain how effective you are.

It just throws you into the deep end of the pool of several dozen squadrons of different plane types and expects you to puzzle out the rest from there. That it's a Gary Grigsby game seems to imply that you should be paying attention to even the littlest of doctrinal details (what IS proper strategic bombing doctrine? The manual doesn't say!), such as plotting your Initial Points around easily identifiable river bends, but who knows if that makes an actual difference?

The one redeeming aspect is playing as the Brits since it's straightforward enough that you need to destroy bombers and you need to keep a positive kill ratio, but even playing as the Germans in the Bombing the Reich scenario will drown you in production minutia.
bairdlander2

Post by bairdlander2 »

Its like this

Attachments
130061612400.jpg
130061612400.jpg (83.31 KiB) Viewed 106 times
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: bairdlander

Its like this

One of my all time favourite games. [&o] And the first computer strategy game that I bought (if my memory serves).
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
DanSez

Post by DanSez »

ORIGINAL: rosseau

$10 - maybe. I read every thread on this game and nothing remotely convinced me of considering a purchase. Even the guys who really knew their stuff had a difficult time figuring out any kind of coherent strategy. Even hot-seating it showed no pattern but some bugs. Matrix doesn't deserve $1 on this one. It just ain't right [;)]

But please, feel free to prove me wrong on this.

Sadly you maybe right on this.
It looks like there is little to no residual support, some promised patches never appeared and getting some basic user created support files posted on the message board so that late buyers like me can catch up is not being supported either.

I made the purchase as a nostalgia buy and I did play it a lot back in the day so I expect the "newer" patches will have done some improvements. My work load doesn't allow me much time to investigate at the moment but I didn't want to duck your honest question about the condition of the game.

I'm still in the hopeful category that I will get a few hours of fun out of it.

The Commander's job is to orchestrate and direct the three major dimensions of combat - space, time and force. Shattered Sword, the Untold Story of the Battle of Midway
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

I think there is one reworked map you can still download from the Matrix mod thread. It just doesn't work with my discretionary income at the moment :)

My hopes are on Order of Battle Pacific.
DanSez

Post by DanSez »

hey there is a little life over there --

I posted a request for an old user created "tracker" program and the kind cohimbra replied with a link -- but there are apparently issues with the game still.

Too bad a few good folks don't take more interest in this game: like with the heavily reworked efforts on the John Tiller's Campaign Series - keeping a good game alive and going.

The community for WitP-AE is very active too and 5 years after it was released there are new scenarios and mods being worked on even as I type.

gradenko2k

Post by gradenko2k »

JT's Campaign Series still gets players and support because, as you said, it's a good game. Bombing the Reich gets played because it's very unique in terms of its subject matter but otherwise does not have a lot going for it. HPS Sims' Defending the Reich is significantly more playable.
DanSez

Post by DanSez »

ORIGINAL: gradenko_2000

JT's Campaign Series still gets players and support because, as you said, it's a good game. Bombing the Reich gets played because it's very unique in terms of its subject matter but otherwise does not have a lot going for it. HPS Sims' Defending the Reich is significantly more playable.

thanks for the reference, I may have to look it up
DanSez

Post by DanSez »

ORIGINAL: gradenko_2000

thanks for the reference, I may have to look that one up
(WEIRD LATE NIGHT INTERNET DOUBLE POSTING)..............
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

While I think "Deal of the Week" is a great "feature", I'm not as excited at the $29.99 price tag on this. I was hoping for more of a $14.99 or $9.99 deal since it is so old. Can't have all prices what we want though huh? [:)]
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

While I think "Deal of the Week" is a great "feature", I'm not as excited at the $29.99 price tag on this. I was hoping for more of a $14.99 or $9.99 deal since it is so old. Can't have all prices what we want though huh? [:)]

Well, it should be market driven. There's no point in a sale unless it shifts games, and I assume pricing strategy will be assessed according to how many extra copies they sell. I think the discounted price is too high as well, but it's a game I've wanted for ages as subject-wise it's the only one in town. I guess whether the price is right depends on how many like me are out there? [&:]
wings7

Post by wings7 »

[/quote]

Well, it should be market driven. There's no point in a sale unless it shifts games, and I assume pricing strategy will be assessed according to how many extra copies they sell. I think the discounted price is too high as well, but it's a game I've wanted for ages as subject-wise it's the only one in town. I guess whether the price is right depends on how many like me are out there? [&:]

[/quote]

I'm one like you [:)] and I'm sure there are more that won't admit it! [;)]

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Well, I've waited this long I can surely wait some more. I'm not all that interested in the subject matter and perhaps the next time it will be discounted even more [:)]

And I'm sure there are others like me they just won't admit it also. [:D]
Qwixt

Post by Qwixt »

Yep, I am with you. Too expensive given its age and abandoned state with a promised patch that was never delivered.
wings7

Post by wings7 »

This weeks's deal "Field of Glory" makes it's debut on Deal of the Week! This is another I have been waiting for and again Thank You! [:)] The Ancients have always fascinated me, I haven't had much playing experience in this time frame, but I'm looking forward to it. It's gotten good reviews and there are a number of Expansion Packs available...hopefully these expansion's will be on the Deal of the Week in the future! Happy Gaming Everyone!

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

I have a request if ANYONE happens to think of it or catches a moment and sees John Tiller's Campaign Series on sale for "Deal of the Week" would you maybe PM me if you think of it? I don't visit the forum everyday and I actually already own the title but I lost it due to a mishap a while ago. I tried to see if I could "recover" it from the members area but unfortunately it didn't seem to be there to recover.

Thanks.

Return to “General Discussion”