Scen question

Civil War 2 is the definitive grand strategy game of the period. It is a turn based regional game with an emphasis on playability and historical accuracy. It is built on the renowned AGE game engine, with a modern and intuitive interface that makes it easy to learn yet hard to master.
This historical operational strategy game with a simultaneous turn-based engine (WEGO system) that places players at the head of the USA or CSA during the American Civil War (1861-1865).

Moderator: Pocus

Nimrod 9th

Scen question

Post by Nimrod 9th »

Very new to game. [X(] Still stumbling a long simply trying to figure out how the game works. It's not coming easy but I'm in there swing the bat. I've been using the "9/9 1862: West (West Theater Scenario)" to learn the game. I have game options set to simple or normal. The scenario description says the Union needs to capture New Orleans from the sea. I've only played a few turns and haven't seen how the Union is to do that. I don't see any ground forces in the Gulf. So my question is how is the North to capture New Orleans from the sea? Are ground forces going to arrive later in the sceanario? If so where should I be looking? Sorry for such a dump question ... but as they say, "there are no dump questions but there are dump people asking qustions."
OldSarge

RE: Scen question

Post by OldSarge »

I recall that Adm. Farragut's fleet will make an appearance starting around the middle of April 1862, with Butler and a few lads to help out. [:D]

Just remember to use your other forces to keep the CSA concentrated elsewhere. [;)]
You and the rest, you forgot the first rule of the fanatic: When you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy.
Jeffrey Sinclair, "Infection", Babylon 5
Nimrod 9th

Post by Nimrod 9th »

Thanks.[&o] Thought I made it as far as April ... oh well, probably didn't. I'll give it another shot over the weekend. Again, thanks.
OldSarge

Post by OldSarge »

I checked the event script and the minimum date the event is available is 4/16/1862, there are no other conditions that I can see. It is using a MinDate rather than a FixedDate so it is likely the event may not fire on exactly 4/16.
You and the rest, you forgot the first rule of the fanatic: When you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy.
Nimrod 9th

Post by Nimrod 9th »

Old Sarge,
Thanks. You were right. I had not played enough turns. I simply kept at it and sure enough Butler showed up. Getting a much better handle on the game. I've a good idea what I'm to do. I'm finding the game engine not very forgiving. If I make a click mistake sometimes it's very hard to fix it (sometimes not). More than once I've made a general promotion and/or force organization click mistake and wasn't able to figure out how to fix it without national morale and victory point penalties. Not saying it couldn't be fix. Saying I couldn't figure out how to fix it. But the good news is I'm making progress. Been surprised how much there is to keep track of. So many messages and reports I have to check every turn. I can see being overwhelmed by details in the larger full war scen. I know. I know. Different gamers want different amounts or level of micro-management. Some want thousands and thousands of bits of info to track and manage. Others simply want to manuever on the battlefield. I'm in the middle and sometimes it's hard to find middle games. Sometimes detailed games lose something when you toggle them back just like sometimes simply games lose something when you try to toggle them harder. Starting to ramble so better shutup and move on.
OldSarge

Post by OldSarge »

I'm glad to hear that you now have the tools to take NO!

Yes, the engine can be fussy about things. For some things like preventing units from accidently being merged in a destination region there are simple tricks like locking the stack, but you have to remember to lock it before you make your move. Anyway, if you keep at it, you'll eventually get to the point of considering these things mere annoyances - and every game that I have on my hard drive has their share of those.

I deal with a game like CW 2 by using rules of thumb and intuition, while avoiding getting caught up in the analysis trap - I still like to look at the numbers from time to time. It works for me and I find this game (and others like it) far more enjoyable as a result. One rule of thumb could be, to never begin a major operation at the start of the winter season unless you're in the deep South, or you know the operation will be short and your troops will be well supplied.

Enjoy!

Return to “Civil War II”