Realism check--how do my orders look?

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Mgellis

Realism check--how do my orders look?

Post by Mgellis »

Friends,

In my ongoing efforts to create fun scenarios, I'm trying to make my briefings look as realistic as I can. To recreate the feel of older printers that were in use on warships during the Cold War (and later, too, I imagine), I've dropped all formatting except capital letters (for section headings and the names of vessels) and underlining (for subsection headings). I'm attaching a sample (from a scenario I'm working on right now) below.

How do these look? Any thoughts, observations, recommendations? I imagine a totally realistic set of orders would probably be too long and complicated for use in a game, but how well do these capture the feel of the real thing?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

-----cut here----

*** OPERATIONAL: IMMEDIATE ***

ATTN: Commanding Officer, LEYTE GULF

Congratulations on your assignment as commanding officer of the Caribbean Task Group (CARIBTASGRU).

SITUATION

Background: The Soviet Union is still reeling after the events of the last few years, and seems committed to preserve as many communist regimes around the world as it can.

A Soviet convoy is currently on its way to Nicaragua. Their most likely destination is the port of Bluefields. Our most recent intelligence reports place it approximately 100 miles south of Jamaica. The convoy includes not only merchant vessels but a number of landing craft, which are believed to be carrying armored vehicles and other military supplies, along with roughly a battalion of "military advisors"--you can be sure that most of these guys will be sporting a Spetsnaz maroon beret. The President is concerned that the delivery of these weapons and Soviet forces could destabilize the region.

Enemy Forces: The Soviet task force appears to consist of two warships, several small merchants, and several amphibious troop-carrying ships (Bluefields, one of Nicaragua's few ports on the Atlantic, can only accommodate relatively small commercial vessels). You should expect one or two Soviet submarines to be in your area of operation as well.

Friendly Forces: Your task force consists of CG 55 LEYTE GULF, DD 978 STUMP, FFG 8 MCINERNEY, and FF 1075 TRIPPE.

SSN 669 SEAHORSE is in your area of operation and is chopped to your command.

Available aircraft at Howard Air Force Base are chopped to your command.

MISSION

1. Intercept the Soviet convoy and deter them from continuing on to Bluefields.

2. If the Soviet convoy reaches a distance of less than 50 miles or less from the Nicaraguan coast, contact headquarters for further instructions.

EXECUTION

Do not initiate hostilities. You are free to return fire if you are attacked. Further, if you are attacked, you are cleared to attack any Soviet vessels approaching within 50 miles of the Nicaraguan coast.

Special weapons release is not anticipated.

ADMINISTRATION AND LOGISTICS

Administration: At your discretion.

Logistics: At your discretion.

COMMAND AND SIGNAL

Call Sign: TAN

Signal: EMCON State C (Unrestricted Emissions)

Command: LEYTE GULF

Good luck.

Feltan

RE: Realism check--how do my orders look?

Post by Feltan »

Mgellis,

If your orders are US Navy orders, and before about 2013, they should be ALL CAPITOLS. The Navy just dropped the paradigm recently; for about a hundred years official Navy messages were ALL CAPS.

Also, IIRC, the term "chopped" is an Army term for CHange of Operational Parameters. I don't honestly know if the Navy ever used the term.

Reference; http://www.navytimes.com/article/201306 ... ES-no-more

Regards,
Feltan
Randomizer

Post by Randomizer »

Below are a partial set of orders for a scenario currently under construction. Missing are the amplifying information that place the orders in context. As Feltan notes, most military message traffic was upper case until the digital age, a function of mechanical teletype machines and to ensure that there were no letter ambiguities.

SECRET

091547Z OCT 73 - IMMEDIATE PRIORITY

TO: //HQ 10TH FLEET//COMMANDER CVBG-11//NAS HAMILTON//NAS NORFOLK//...

INFO: //COS HQ CNO/SEC DEF/SEC NAV WASHINGTON DC//COMD STANAVFORLANT//...

SUBJ: PRIORITY ACTION OPERATIONS ORDER CINCLANT 10-1105 FOR CVBG-11

1. SITUATION: A. WX: MODERATE CLOUDY CONDITIONS FORECAST FOR NEXT 36-48 HOURS. NO SIGNIFICANT PRECIPITATION EXPECTED IN AO. WINDS NW AT 15 KTS, SEA STATE 4.
B. ENEMY: NO CHANGE.
C. FRIENDLY: VP-10 NORFOLK NAS AND VP-60 HAMILTON NAS UNDER OPCON CO CVBG-11 UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.
D, ATTS AND DETS: USS PAWCATUCK AO-108 ATTACHED TO CVBG-11 IMMEDIATELY
2. MISSION: LOCATE, CLASSIFY AND TRACK REDFLEET SSBN'S IN WEST BERMUDA YANKEE PATROL BOX.
3. EXECUTION: A. GENERAL. THE WEST BERMUDA YANKEE PATROL BOX IS NORMALLY BOUNDED BY W64* W73* S30* AND N40*. FOR THIS OPERATION CONSIDER YOUR AOR TO BE ALL WATERS OUTSIDE THE CONTINENTAL SHELF, WEST OF BERMUDA AND BETWEEN THE LATITUDES OF PHILADELPHIA, PA AND JACKSONVILLE, FL. IF OPERATING OUTSIDE OF THESE LIMITS IS DEEMED NECESSARY, ADVISE TENTH FLT OPS.
B. GROUPINGS AND TASKS: COMD DESCRETION.
C. COORDINATING INSTRUCTIONS: COMD DESCRETION.
D. OPERATIONAL RESTRICTIONS - RELEASE OF SPECIAL WEAPONS IS NOT AUTHORIZED OR ANTICIPATED AT THIS TIME. ONE SORTIE FROM VP-10 TO REMAIN ON ALERT STATUS WITH B-57 DEPTH CHARGE LOADOUT. DO NOT ENGAGE W/O AUTHORIZATION EXCEPT IN ACCORDANCE WITH ROE'S CURRENTLY IN EFFECT.
4. SERVICE SUPPORT: A. RAS AS REQUIRED FROM AO-108.
B. REPORT SUPPLY DEFICENCIES TO HQ TENTH FLT OPS ATTN N4. ADDITIONAL SONOBOUYS WILL BE DELIVERED TO CV-11 BY COD FROM NORFOLK NAS DAILY WITH TF MAIL.
5. COMMAND AND SIGNALS: A. COMD CVBG-11 FLAG USS INTREPID IS OFFICER IN TACTICAL COMMAND.
B. REPORTS AND RETURNS IAW TENTH FLT SOPS.
C. INTERNAL BG COMMS AS PER COMD CVBG-11 STANDING ORDERS.
6. GOOD HUNTING, CINCLANT SENDS.

SECRET

-C
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

091547Z OCT 73 <-- does that mean October 9, 1973 at 15:47 Zulu?

Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

So it should look something like this...

200300Z AUG 89 – IMMEDIATE PRIORITY

TO: COMMANDER CARIBBEAN RESPONSE GROUP TAN

SUBJ: INTERCEPTION OF SOVIET CONVOY IN CARIBBEAN

1. SITUATION. A WX: MODERATE CLOUDY CONDITIONS EXPECTED NEXT 36-48 HOURS. MODERATE PRECIPITATION EXPECTED IN AO. WINDS NW AT 8 KTS, SEA STATE 3.

B. ENEMY: A SOVIET CONVOY CONSISTING OF TWO OR THREE WARSHIPS, SEVERAL SMALL MERCHANTS, AND SEVERAL AMPHIBIOUS TROOP-CARRYING SHIPS IS CURRENTLY ON ITS WAY TO NICARAGUA. MOST LIKELY DESTINATION IS THE PORT OF BLUEFIELDS. MOST RECENT INTELLIGENCE REPORTS PLACE IT APPROXIMATELY 100 MILES SOUTH OF JAMAICA. THE CONVOY INCLUDES NOT ONLY MERCHANT VESSELS BUT A NUMBER OF LANDING CRAFT, WHICH ARE BELIEVED TO BE CARRYING ARMORED VEHICLES AND OTHER MILITARY SUPPLIES, ALONG WITH ROUGHLY A BATTALION OF "MILITARY ADVISERS."

C. FRIENDLY: YOUR TASK FORCE CONSISTS OF CG 55 LEYTE GULF, DD 978 STUMP, FFG 8 MCINERNEY, AND FF 1075 TRIPPE.

D, ATTS AND DETS: SSN 669 SEAHORSE IS IN YOUR AO AND IS ATTACHED TO YOUR COMMAND. AVAILABLE AIRCRAFT AT HOWARD AIR FORCE BASE ARE ATTACHED TO YOUR COMMAND.

2. MISSION: INTERCEPT THE SOVIET CONVOY AND DETER THEM FROM CONTINUING ON TO BLUEFIELDS.

3. EXECUTION. IF THE SOVIET CONVOY REACHES A DISTANCE OF 50 MILES OR LESS FROM THE NICARAGUAN COAST, CONTACT HEADQUARTERS FOR FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS. DO NOT INITIATE HOSTILITIES. YOU ARE FREE TO RETURN FIRE IF YOU ARE ATTACKED. FURTHER, IF YOU ARE ATTACKED, YOU ARE CLEARED TO ATTACK ANY SOVIET VESSELS IN THE CONVOY.

B. GROUPINGS AND TASKS: COMD DISCRETION.

C. COORDINATING INSTRUCTIONS: COMD DISCRETION.

D. OPERATIONAL RESTRICTIONS - RELEASE OF SPECIAL WEAPONS IS NOT AUTHORIZED OR ANTICIPATED AT THIS TIME.

4. SERVICE SUPPORT: A. COMD DISCRETION.

B. REPORT SUPPLY DEFICIENCIES TO FOURTH FLEET OPS.

5. COMMAND AND SIGNALS: A. COMD LEYTE GULF IS OFFICER IN TACTICAL COMMAND.

B. REPORTS AND RETURNS IAW FOURTH FLT SOPS.

C. INTERNAL BG COMMS AS PER FOURTH FLT STANDING ORDERS.

6. GOOD LUCK.

Gunner98

Post by Gunner98 »

ORIGINAL: Mgellis

091547Z OCT 73 <-- does that mean October 9, 1973 at 15:47 Zulu?

Yes, that's correct.

On the orders front, a couple of comments:

1C: although I like putting in the TG composition for the player - this would not be part of the orders - it already exists and is known so it's not needed

The 1C para should outline the larger friendly situation - what is happening outside the commander(player)s control, the big picture

1D vs. 3B

1D should give a very brief list of attachments in this case: SSN 669 SEAHORSE, AVAILABLE A/C HOWARD AFB

3B gives the command relationships so in this case:

B.
1. UC (Under Command) SSN 669 SEAHORSE
2. S (In support) EL (Elements) VP-10, EL VFA-73 (etc. You should probably put the Sqns that are working out of HOWARD AFB here)

In the late 80's early 90's The US moved away from 'Under Command' and 'In Support' as the basic command relationships and went to the OPCOM/TACOM system which is more complicated but much more flexible and defined. NATO followed a few years later and usage in the US and NATO is slightly different but nothing to worry about here. A good summary is here http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... -8/ch2.htm

General thoughts for the game:
What the US calls COCOM and NATO calls Full Command would not normally be given to a tactical commander (i.e. in CMANO)
When you give OPCOM you can generally do what you want with that unit in game terms
When you give OPCON in game terms its about the same as OPCOM but you can reinforce the limits with specific tasks or available loadouts
When you give TACON you are limiting the unit to a specific task in the game (i.e. an MPA Sqn with only ASW loadouts)

I would limit your use of the term Comd Discretion as this is implied. If you have nothing to put in a para use NO CHANGE

You obviously need to temper the orders with the need to lead a player who is not trained in the military Command and Staff procedures, so this is a bit of a slippery slope and I think the difference between providing a realistic feeling to the player and becoming totally illegible to the player is a fine line. A line I probably could not identify[X(]

B

Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/
CassioM

Post by CassioM »

I like those realistic operational orders messages. I used them on some of my scenarios.

But I still miss to know in detail how these messages works. Especially in relation to submarines, which are always protagonists of my scenarios.

I use as reference the style of these messages through some games like Harpoon Commander Edition, some battlesets contains numerous missions with these messages, the Sierra Fast Attack game also has some interesting operational orders.
Rudd

Post by Rudd »

I like the "template" above and the discussion, thanks guys
You obviously need to temper the orders with the need to lead a player who is not trained in the military Command and Staff procedures, so this is a bit of a slippery slope and I think the difference between providing a realistic feeling to the player and becoming totally illegible to the player is a fine line. A line I probably could not id
This is a great point.

I would like to add, I think it's helpful when the available assets to the player are listed in the orders, so they can be printed.
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

ORIGINAL: Gunner98

You obviously need to temper the orders with the need to lead a player who is not trained in the military Command and Staff procedures, so this is a bit of a slippery slope and I think the difference between providing a realistic feeling to the player and becoming totally illegible to the player is a fine line. A line I probably could not identify[X(]

This has all been very helpful. I really appreciate it. Please let me know if there are any more suggestions, comments, ideas.

What I will probably do from now on is "cheat" a little...I'll rely on the ALL CAPS format, and use the standard style, etc. as much as possible, but I may include some pieces of information (e.g., "what's in your task force?") that would normally be left out but which would be helpful to the player. Not too much, about what I'm putting in the example above, although I'll change the wording a bit for the final version to be used in the scenario. But I'll try not to put in more than I have to, to help preserve the feel of what actual orders would look like. And any "personal" remarks like "Sink those pirates, Jerry!" can go in section 6. :)

As a side note, my day job includes teaching courses in technical writing, so the whole issue of how to deal with different audiences (in this case, the real audience of the player and the fictional audience of the tactical commander he or she is playing) is really interesting to me.

AdmiralSteve

Post by AdmiralSteve »

I think what you've listed is called an OPORDER or operational order, which details an operation over just about any length of time from hours to weeks and how to carry out those orders. An OPREP or operational report is usually used to explain an operation over a short period, usually hours or days, and what has already transpired or what was witnessed by the command sending the OPREP. I've done the same style you have and I find myself doing so much research on its format that I end up spending too much time on it so I just go with what looks realistic but it may not be up to date.
As I understand CassioM and Mgellis, (I was not a bubblehead so I'm going off of info from an old Cold War radioman bubblehead)submarines during that era were given orders prior to departure and only broke radio silence very rarely since their was a risk of an ELINT Soviet surface vessel listening in which could lead to the sub's position or even intercepting the message altogether. Submarines today are generally the same as they do not steam with the battle group, usually operate independently and have their own separate orders. This is by design so as to protect what the US believes (as well as the Soviets during the Cold War) is the one thing that keeps WWIII at bay, the SSBN.
“There are no extraordinary men...just extraordinary circumstances that ordinary men are forced to deal with.”
Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr. 1882-1959

Randomizer

Post by Randomizer »

The NATO standard orders format is here:

NATO Standard Orders Format

For what it's worth, this format suitably adjusted has also become the standard orders format used by civil emergency services that practice the Incident Command System of emergency management across North America.

In the military this format is used to pass orders by everybody from the infantry section commander to the Theatre Commander (although the latter would probably have minions do the donkey work).

It is worth listening to Gunner98! I certainly received enough orders from him back in the day and so will verify that he knows what he's talking about.

-C
Feltan

Post by Feltan »

ORIGINAL: Randomizer

The NATO standard orders format is here:

NATO Standard Orders Format

For what it's worth, this format suitably adjusted has also become the standard orders format used by civil emergency services that practice the Incident Command System of emergency management across North America.

In the military this format is used to pass orders by everybody from the infantry section commander to the Theatre Commander (although the latter would probably have minions do the donkey work).

It is worth listening to Gunner98! I certainly received enough orders from him back in the day and so will verify that he knows what he's talking about.

-C

That is certainly the standard format, especially at a tactical level.

The higher up the chain you go, things change. Many standing Operations Plans exist for geographic areas and specific contingencies. Once invoked, an OPLAN will be amended by numerous Fragmentary Orders (FRAGOs) in a numbered ordered sequence.

It is also worth noting, that this is how Staff's of various commands communicate. It has to be detailed, structured and orderly. Direct communications between commanders, both written and verbal, is not nearly as structured.

Lastly, command relationships. These go by different names, but the key is tactical command and logistics. A unit that is , for example, listed as Direct Support to another command get its orders from that other command, as well as all logistic support (beans, bullets, etc.). A unit that is in General Support, may receive orders to for a specified mission from another command, but draws its logistic support from organic organizational channels.

Regards,
Feltan
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

I also found this, which may be helpful to some people...

http://armawiki.zumorc.de/files/NATO/ST ... ORD%29.pdf

(STANAG 2014 TOP (EDITION 9) - FORMATS FOR ORDERS AND DESIGNATION OF TIMINGS, LOCATIONS AND BOUNDARIES)
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

One thing I'm thinking of doing is streamlining sections 4 and 5. For example...

4. ADMINISTRATION AND LOGISTICS: NO CHANGE.

5. COMMAND AND SIGNALS: A. EMCON STATE C (UNRESTRICTED EMISSIONS). TASK FORCE CALL SIGN IS RUBY.

B. COMD CARIBTASFOR FLAG USS ALBANY IS OFFICER IN TACTICAL COMMAND.

In other words, section 4 is rarely going to get anything the player needs to see, so I will just say "No change" for the whole section. As for section 5, I'm identifying the flagship, the EMCON state, and the call sign (if any). How does this look? I know it modifies the format slightly, but is it close enough to real orders that it will help people feel like they're actually in command of a battle group?

Again, thanks for everyone's help here.

Randomizer

Post by Randomizer »

My $0.02 CAD is that there is plenty of room for Scenario Author's Licence in this. Submit that the most important consideration is whether Players with zero military experience will be capable of determining what their situation is and what they are expected to do. I'm all for colour and atmosphere but consider that as far as any CMANO scenario is concerned, function should always trump form.

You can never please the most fanatic of rivet-counters so clarity should be the guiding principle behind your scenario orders and Player briefings. So far I think that you have done a really good job achieving this goal with your scenarios that I have played and so would not sweat the petty stuff (or for that matter pet the sweaty stuff).

-C
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

[Never mind...question removed.]

Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

Okay, another possibly stupid question...

Is COMD an older term that was used during the Cold War but is no longer used? I looked in Joint Publication 1-02, Department of Defense Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms and I could not find it anywhere. CMD, CO, CTAF, and even CNBG. But no COMD. (Of course, it is possible I just missed it somehow.)

I should have listened to AdmSteebe and not tried to do any more research! Now I'm just confused! :)

Maybe I'll just cheat and say things like...

COMMANDER CARIBTASFOR FLAG USS ALBANY IS OFFICER IN TACTICAL COMMAND. <-- if you don't use any abbreviation, you can't be using the wrong one! :)

I'm assuming this is all right, or close enough that no one will care, but if it is egregiously wrong for some reason, please let me know. Thanks again to everyone for their help.

Randomizer

Post by Randomizer »

Submit that much of this sort of thing is nation, era and arm of service dependent. Only suggestion might be to describe acronyms like CARIBTASFOR (presumably Caribbean Task Force?) in the scenario description so it's no surprise when in shows up in the briefing. But that's probably a blinding glimpse of the obvious (BGO).

The bureaucratic law of abbreviations and acronyms in all military establishments world-wide clearly states that whenever everybody knows what a particular abbreviation means and are comfortable using it, it becomes necessary to replace it with an entirely new abbreviation/acronym. Preferably one that shares nothing at all with the old one. This goes for command relationships as well. Consider it your tax dollars at work.

-C
hellfish6

Post by hellfish6 »

ORIGINAL: Feltan

Mgellis,

If your orders are US Navy orders, and before about 2013, they should be ALL CAPITOLS. The Navy just dropped the paradigm recently; for about a hundred years official Navy messages were ALL CAPS.

Also, IIRC, the term "chopped" is an Army term for CHange of Operational Parameters. I don't honestly know if the Navy ever used the term.

Regards,
Feltan

The Navy says "chopped" when a unit moves between commands - like if a destroyer from Norfolk enters EUCOM's AOR, the destroyer is chopped to EUCOM/COMNAVEUR/6th Fleet from USFF.
Feltan

Post by Feltan »

ORIGINAL: hellfish6

ORIGINAL: Feltan

Mgellis,

Regards,
Feltan

The Navy says "chopped" when a unit moves between commands - like if a destroyer from Norfolk enters EUCOM's AOR, the destroyer is chopped to EUCOM/COMNAVEUR/6th Fleet from USFF.

Thanks! I simply didn't know if the term was multi-service, and apparently it is.

Regards,
Feltan

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”