Absolutley OT: Growing Up

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

runescapecheapgold

RE: Absolutley OT: Growing Up

Post by runescapecheapgold »

When I was child ,I'd like go to fishing with my father,and got older ,I enjoyed FIFA!
Big B

Post by Big B »

Oh the memories!

I hated the 1D6 CRT....so glad when they went to 2D6 in later games

ORIGINAL: crsutton

ORIGINAL: wegman58

Avalon Hill - the gateway drug for a lot of us. AFRIKA KORPS - the all important die roll for the attack on Tobruk.

2-1 odds

This may be off a bit.

1: Attacker eliminated
2: Attacker back
3: Exchange (with the attacker always taking the higher loss)
4: Exchange
5: Defender back
6: Defender eliminated

You had to have a 3-1 to get rid of the attacker eliminated result. The one die CRT was brutal and showed no mercy.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: runescapecheapgold

When I was child ,I'd like go to fishing with my father,and got older ,I enjoyed FIFA!

I would remind you that in WitP-AE you're allowed to bite. No suspensions.

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Avalon Hill - the gateway drug for a lot of us. AFRIKA KORPS - the all important die roll for the attack on Tobruk.

2-1 odds

This may be off a bit.

1: Attacker eliminated
2: Attacker back
3: Exchange (with the attacker always taking the higher loss)
4: Exchange
5: Defender back
6: Defender eliminated

You had to have a 3-1 to get rid of the attacker eliminated result. The one die CRT was brutal and showed no mercy.

Lost track of this thread for a while. Came back today to discover this. Damn it brings back fond memories.

I recall once in high school days of spending the night at my buddies house and playing AK on his living room floor till dawn.

We played 4 games switching sides each time and every time the game came down to the 2-1 on Tobruk.

Third Reich (our favorite go to multiplayer game we based our Friday/Saturday night gaming around in my 20s and 30s) had a similar decisive element in its CRT with te results for a 1-1 attack.

One chance in six to kill the enemy.....one chance in six to kill yourself.....gotta love it.
Hans

John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Those die rolls were pretty crazy! Remember them with great fondness and FEAR!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: runescapecheapgold

Moderator, you can't let these skalawags in here. Use your photon cannons and ask questions later.

Skyros

Post by Skyros »

Started with Stalingrad in 1970, then Ak and D-Day. Owned over 60 games from SPI, Yaquinto,Mayfair, AH etc. Played D&D, Runequest, and of course moved on to computer games. Started with Pacwar in 90s moved on to WiTP and then AE. All that I play now is AE and Catania with my daughters. Still have the old games though, no time or room to play them.
Bearcat2

Post by Bearcat2 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOBwVJQi6_Y

Surprised no one mentioned The Swamp Fox, starring Leslie Nielsen, 1954, it was in COLOR, of course no had color TV's. 1st episode above
"After eight years as President I have only two regrets: that I have not shot Henry Clay or hanged John C. Calhoun."--1837
rockmedic109

Post by rockmedic109 »

ORIGINAL: Termite2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOBwVJQi6_Y

Surprised no one mentioned The Swamp Fox, starring Leslie Nielsen, 1954, it was in COLOR, of course no had color TV's. 1st episode above
I saw the last 10 mins of one episode or movie just after I got back from a camping trip. It was on Disney's Sunday night "Wonderful World of Disney". Never saw it again.
wegman58

Post by wegman58 »

A bit before my time. But I did a reserve cruise on USS FRANCIS MARION (LPA-249) in 1977. Norfolk to London, Copenhagen (took a ferry to Malmo on the Sunday Borg won his second British Open - Sweden was closed) and Bremerhaven before back to the US. That was when I first heard of the Swamp Fox.
Bill Goin
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Just watched an old war flick last night I had never seen before.

Attack on the Iron Coast starring LLoyd Bridges:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxyyDKCgULs

Was a fictionalized version of the Raid on St. Nazaire.

The target was LeClair and the premise was an old destroyer packed with explosives to be rammed into the dock accompanied by a Canadain commando raid on the port.

I always wondered why in that era of movie making they didn't just depict the actual operation, but instead create fictionalized versions of them.

It brought back fond memoires of the old AH solitaire game Raid on St. Nazaire.

Hans

wdolson

Post by wdolson »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

The target was LeClair and the premise was an old destroyer packed with explosives to be rammed into the dock accompanied by a Canadain commando raid on the port.

I always wondered why in that era of movie making they didn't just depict the actual operation, but instead create fictionalized versions of them.

US movie studios probably fictionalized these stories so they could star Americans. These days audiences will sit still for movies which have no Americans in them, but that wasn't so (or wasn't thought to be so) back in the 1950s.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
moore4807

Post by moore4807 »

Avalon Hill... I actually got invited to the AH Baltimore offices in the early 80's (when I was in High school) to pitch a board based wargame idea I had. The "idea" was to use the Luftwaffe game counters on a large strategic board of Europe, and using the AD&D 20sided and percentile dice sets were to determine occurrence/effectiveness of the aerial raid vs. the defense of the Luftwaffe.(think very vaguely of GGs 12 o clock high on standard three fold-out boards AH used)I spent over $50 back then to get a European/African map made up at a print shop to take with me to the meeting. I thought it was brilliant, the old guy and young guy who heard me out quickly tore my idea to shreds as unworkable in just over 1 hour... But after the old guy left, the younger guy told me to keep working on it and come back when I worked out the bugs. I never did/could fix my idea for the mass consumption requirements...

Fortunately those much more experienced than me undertook the task and did it well. <grin>

I for one was really sad to see AH go under, it felt like a family member died.
TOMLABEL

Post by TOMLABEL »

I watched that too. Never had seen that before. I thought it was pretty good.

TOMLABEL
Art by the Rogue-USMC

WITP Admiral's Edition: Ship & Sub Art/Base Unit Art/Map Icon Art

"If destruction be our lot - it will come from within"...Abraham Lincoln
98ZJUSMC

Post by 98ZJUSMC »

Shipboard life meant that the wargames were lost in the past.

Deployments/PCS/OCONUS FTXs.....sad.

All vanished into the mist somewhere.

98ZJUSMC

Post by 98ZJUSMC »

Or Midway.

crsutton

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

US movie studios probably fictionalized these stories so they could star Americans. These days audiences will sit still for movies which have no Americans in them, but that wasn't so (or wasn't thought to be so) back in the 1950s.

Bill

Yes, that is how William Holden found himself stuck in a British POW camp in the movie version of "The Bridge Over the River Kwai." American studio heads were convinced the movie had to have an American in order to sell.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: moore4807

Avalon Hill... I actually got invited to the AH Baltimore offices in the early 80's (when I was in High school) to pitch a board based wargame idea I had. The "idea" was to use the Luftwaffe game counters on a large strategic board of Europe, and using the AD&D 20sided and percentile dice sets were to determine occurrence/effectiveness of the aerial raid vs. the defense of the Luftwaffe.(think very vaguely of GGs 12 o clock high on standard three fold-out boards AH used)I spent over $50 back then to get a European/African map made up at a print shop to take with me to the meeting. I thought it was brilliant, the old guy and young guy who heard me out quickly tore my idea to shreds as unworkable in just over 1 hour... But after the old guy left, the younger guy told me to keep working on it and come back when I worked out the bugs. I never did/could fix my idea for the mass consumption requirements...

Fortunately those much more experienced than me undertook the task and did it well. <grin>

I for one was really sad to see AH go under, it felt like a family member died.

Reed Street in Baltimore. They had their own game store in the basement. I used to ride my BSA up there to buy parts and games.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Bill

Yes, that is how William Holden found himself stuck in a British POW camp in the movie version of "The Bridge Over the River Kwai." American studio heads were convinced the movie had to have an American in order to sell.
In this case, they would have been right...

I think William Holden (and his character) were integral to the plot and the development of that fine movie. The camp also had Aussies and other nationals in it and would have been diminished in its scope, scale and impact had it been an (unrealistic) All-British exclusive camp and plot.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Bill

In this case, they would have been right...

I think William Holden (and his character) were integral to the plot and the development of that fine movie. The camp also had Aussies and other nationals in it and would have been diminished in its scope, scale and impact had it been an (unrealistic) All-British exclusive camp and plot.

Well, it was not horrible but he was not in the novel and that seemed to work out just fine.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”