Guadacanal Scenario PBEM

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Richard III

Guadacanal Scenario PBEM

Post by Richard III »

Any thoughts on the stock Guadalcanal Scenario as far as House Rules ?

Also any thoughts as far as play balance ?

Thanks !
RL
“History would be a wonderful thing – if it were only true.”

¯ Leo Tolstoy
DanSez

RE: Guadacanal Scenario PBEM

Post by DanSez »

I'm in the second run thru Guadalcanal (PBEM).
IMO the Japanese have to get lucky to win as the Allies start out/or ready to take the two most important bases
Port Moresby (own)
Lunga (about to own)
The Japanese can do absolutely nothing to stop the initial invasion and getting those Marines out after that is a hard task. If the Japanese don't take one or the other there is no way to win on points.

In the current game I have sunk Saratoga, Wasp and Hornet (according to FOW intelligence reports) - Shokoku is under the waves and Zuikoku is damaged beyond the scenario's ability to repair. I am still more than a thousand points behind because I do not have Port Moresby or Lunga.

Still, it is a good game to Learn WitPAE and is fun to play. I am running in BB/CA bombardments on Lunga and entertaining myself waiting for my next two carriers to arrive.

I want to load up the AndyMac version and play it at some time -- that might be my suggestion for you and your opponent.

In my case, no house rules have been needed so far.
Good luck.

The Commander's job is to orchestrate and direct the three major dimensions of combat - space, time and force. Shattered Sword, the Untold Story of the Battle of Midway
Richard III

Post by Richard III »

Thanks Dan, that sounds it could be interesting.

¯ Leo Tolstoy
SierraJuliet

Post by SierraJuliet »

As the Japanese you have to use your subs as a merciless hunting force. A bit of luck goes a long way and if you can start eating into the Allied CV strength whilst preserving your own you will go a long way to making life difficult for your opponent. The lack of copious plane replacements will really hinder your offensive ability once you start taking loses.

Have a look at my current AAR against tocaff where we play out the scenario twice. We swapped sides after our first tilt.

The play balance is very good.
Kido Butai, although powerful, was a raiding force, and this is exactly how the Japanese understood its usage. 'Shattered Sword'
Richard III

Post by Richard III »

Thanks Steven

I will look those AAR up.

¯ Leo Tolstoy

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”