Return of the Sheep! - JocMeister(A) vs. MrKane(J)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

JocMeister

RE: Japanese land in OZ!!

Post by JocMeister »

Again, thanks again everyone for the encouragement! [&o] Feel a lot better today! Got to sleep through the entire night with just one wake up time! [&o] Havn´t slept this much in over a year I think. [X(]

I´m so used to being exhausted I keep forgetting I am...[:(]
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

[font="Verdana"] Something Perhaps? [/font]

------------------------
Update
------------------------

Here is the current situation. I managed to get 1350 AV off (minus the NZ BDE that was already there). Now I just need to make sure I kick Tom off Nadi quickly before he can send more troops in. The NZ BDE + 24th RGT and 7th Marine and two Artillery units are moving out as we speak. This have the added bonus of dumping Suva back under the SL.

The Marines got most of their heavy equipment off but both IDs are lacking quite a lot of their heavy equipment. Mostly guns and support. This will of course lessen their staying power but Tom can´t keep the KB stationed outside Suva forever. In about 15 days the upgraded subs with radar will arrive in the area.

I should have supply for about a month. All my APDs are heading towards Pago Pago and I hope I may be able to ship more in via FT. DMs are on its way and will drop a minefield at Nadi first and then Suva.

I´m going to try real hard not to show Tom the two IDs´on Suva. I should be able to reform the 1st Marines in about a 3 weeks. That would increase my staying power by a lot. Hopefully I can entice him into a premature counter invasion. Or perhaps even trigger the Samoans operation. He might believe I´ve overextended and moved the Pago Pago forces forward. Optimally I wold like to pull out the 6th Marine so I can reform the 2nd Marines on Pago Pago. Not going to do that yet though. Its a bit of a mess in general but nothing catastrophic yet.

------------------------
Japanese response
------------------------

Will be interesting to see how Tom responds to this. I´m pretty certain he was sure of being able to capture Suva via Nadi without interference. Possible using the troops prepping for the Samoans (48th + 16th ID). No doubt he will do the usual JFB response to everything in 42: Sortie the KB + Navy. I´ll just try and stay away from that and watch him burn the fuel. The big question will be if he tries to counter invade or deem it not worth the effort.

I am a bit exposed but having the Samoan stronghold on my right flank makes me feel pretty secure for now. Won´t be 100% comfortable before I can reform the 1st and 2nd Marines though. I also need more AA at Fiji as most of it went to OZ.

------------------------
Allied Navy
------------------------

I don´t have much in terms of surface power in the area. The CAs are pretty much all tied up with the CVs and the BB are too slow and drink too much fuel. They will leave for Christmas with the transports. What I do have is the Allied CV fleet backed up by the Indomitable and Formidable (527 CV capacity). Illustrious have just left Balboa with 2 CLAAs and 6 DDs.

I think in terms of number of planes we are pretty evenly matched right now. But my pilots are not up to par and I´m still flying devastators. Not going to be looking for a fight but I think Tom has to be careful not to pick a fight where I can get assistance from LBA and he can´t.

I also have probably 80% of the Silent Service in SOPAC. They are now either getting radars installed or on their way to get it. I decided to do this since I was simply not getting any attacks in. They should be back into position in 15-20 days.

Attachments
Something Perhaps2.jpg
Something Perhaps2.jpg (313.25 KiB) Viewed 64 times
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

[font="Verdana"] SOPAC - May 22nd. [/font]

Now this was an interesting turn. And some very strange happenings.

------------------------
The IJN
------------------------

Now this is extremely odd. First of all...almost..almost...
Sub attack near Lord Howe Island at 106,170

Japanese Ships
CV Kaga
CA Tone
CS Chiyoda
DD Kagero
DD Maikaze
DD Hayashio
DD Yukikaze

Allied Ships
SS Grayback

SS Grayback launches 6 torpedoes at CV Kaga

Looking at the screen in the bottom smoke is clearly visible. I would assume this means he has run them at Full Speed for at least two turns. He is not out of the woods yet as the area is swarming with subs...we shall see if we might get lucky tomorrow.

Now the big "what the heck"? As can been seen in the screen. Half of KB actually turned SW and headed back toward NZ. [&:] This might be a response to my CA TF being spotted by a sub float planes West of Tasmania last turn. The other half moved toward Noumea but is listing as moving SW. Did he refuel and head straight back or is it simply faulty NavS and he is still moving towards Noumea?

This led me to move my TFs back towards Fiji a couple of hexes. I´ll hang around and see where he goes. CV fleet should refuel tomorrow and be joined by the Brit CVs. I increased the CAP over Suva to 100 Fighters.

Also some interesting events at Brisbane... [:'(]
Ground combat at Brisbane (96,160)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 31565 troops, 320 guns, 183 vehicles, Assault Value = 902

Defending force 60070 troops, 1327 guns, 1011 vehicles, Assault Value = 1525

Japanese adjusted assault: 300

Allied adjusted defense: 566

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 2

Combat modifiers
Defender: preparation(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
4941 casualties reported
Squads: 24 destroyed, 459 disabled
Non Combat: 7 destroyed, 95 disabled
Engineers: 7 destroyed, 69 disabled
Guns lost 58 (4 destroyed, 54 disabled)
Vehicles lost 57 (29 destroyed, 28 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
600 casualties reported
Squads: 4 destroyed, 62 disabled
Non Combat: 3 destroyed, 33 disabled
Engineers: 2 destroyed, 8 disabled
Guns lost 33 (4 destroyed, 29 disabled)
Vehicles lost 36 (2 destroyed, 34 disabled)

Very risky move by Tom and luckily it didn´t work. I considered a counter attack but my troops are simply too disrupted. Will leave the coast nex turn luckily.

Attachments
SomethingPerhaps3.jpg
SomethingPerhaps3.jpg (337.01 KiB) Viewed 64 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Good search. I suspect Mr. Kane is unwilling to engage in a general carrier clash at this date where you have some access to land based air and he does not and he is so far from good ports.

The subs can't make him feel good either...how many did he spot?

My guess is he is writing off Suva...

Nice fight in Brisbane....

JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Good search. I suspect Mr. Kane is unwilling to engage in a general carrier clash at this date where you have some access to land based air and he does not and he is so far from good ports.

The subs can't make him feel good either...how many did he spot?

My guess is he is writing off Suva...

Nice fight in Brisbane....

As usual ALL of them have a 10/10 DL... [8|]
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

Smoke on his CVs means he has run them hard for too long and sys damage is over 10.

Suva - Maybe take your unloaded troops and spread them out on xAKs to allow faster unloading. Have just enough ships in a TF that it can dock to speed up unloading. Place your best trained ASW air group there with very short range(4 hexes = 2 for ASW). I would expect multiple subs to head to the port and hexes off Suva in the next few days.

Avengers - Your CVs should be looking better with these guys coming on line. [:)]
[center]Image[/center]
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

How strong are you at Samoa?

Personally I wouldn't come at you at Fiji, but go ahead with the planned op on Samoa which would bracket and isolate your position on Fiji.

Your opponents actions would seem to argue against his making a very reactionary move on Fiji.

Watch your back.

Hans

ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

Suva Part 2 - There are too many small bases off Suva for you to defend. If I was Mr Kane, I would land a division at Nadi to ensure you cannot take it. Then, land at two or three bases off Suva and build them up to size 2 to 4 AFs to isolate Suva. Later, I would capture Suva. He has the time.
[center]Image[/center]
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

How strong are you at Samoa?

Personally I wouldn't come at you at Fiji, but go ahead with the planned op on Samoa which would bracket and isolate your position on Fiji.

Your opponents actions would seem to argue against his making a very reactionary move on Fiji.

Watch your back.

I would say I´m in a reasonable position at Samoa. Of course if Tom throws everything and the kitchen sink at me he will get it. But that can be said for every place on the map barring the WC and perhaps PH.

I have 780 AV at Pago Pago level 5.58 forts.
280 AV on Savaii Forts 5.33. Forts
60 AV and Upolo level 2.56 Forts

Only prep I have gotten via SIGINT is the 48th for Pago Pago and the 16th for Upolu. I have 300 AV on its way for Upolo but if he goes now they won´t get there in time.

I´ll keep my eyes open for a dash towards the Samoans.
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

Suva Part 2 - There are too many small bases off Suva for you to defend. If I was Mr Kane, I would land a division at Nadi to ensure you cannot take it. Then, land at two or three bases off Suva and build them up to size 2 to 4 AFs to isolate Suva. Later, I would capture Suva. He has the time.

Well, he have to land next turn because I will recapture Nadi by then (I hope). [:)]

I agree he might try and recapture Suva but if I can evict him from Nadi he will have to wait for proper prep. That will buy me time. Time to dig in, bring in more troops and expand AFs. I´ll try if possible to put small units on the surrounding Islands.

I have to fight somewhere!
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

Got the turn from the 24th back. KB and all shipping in the Tasmans Sea simply disappeared. Worried me a bit that he somehow eluded the CATs from NZ and went due East and are now unseen somewhere in hole between NZ and Tahiti.

Stepped up the search even more. Can´t keep up forever though as flying on extended range is taking its toll.
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Could he have disappeared due north? But plan for the worst!

This is when Japan is dangerous...[X(]
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

Indeed. I hate not knowing where the KB is or going...and moving at full speed + 7 hexes of strike range he has a very long reach...
mind_messing

Post by mind_messing »

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

Indeed. I hate not knowing where the KB is or going...and moving at full speed + 7 hexes of strike range he has a very long reach...

It looks to me like he plans a big raid on either Melbourne or New Zealand. Possibly for VPs?
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

It looks to me like he plans a big raid on either Melbourne or New Zealand. Possibly for VPs?

No VP for New Zealand that way (except for ship and planes).
Richard III

Post by Richard III »

Lurking here with interest. Tough choices in front of you I think. I wonder what Nemo might do ? ( He took over an Allied Game sorta like this once.The AAR is still around )

tm.asp?m=3310813&mpage=1&key=

What`s the current date BTW ?
“History would be a wonderful thing – if it were only true.”

¯ Leo Tolstoy
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

Certainly a possibility! I guess Melbourne would be the target if that is the case since he can reach Sydney from Brisbane using LBA.

JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

ORIGINAL: Richard III

Lurking here with interest. Tough choices in front of you I think. I wonder what Nemo might do ? ( He took over an Allied Game sorta like this once.The AAR is still around )

tm.asp?m=3310813&mpage=1&key=

What`s the current date BTW ?

Welcome! [:)]

We are just a couple of days shy of June 42!
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

We are just a couple of days shy of June 42!

Bet you're drooling for some P-40Ks. And to think how much you dissed them in your obvert game. [:)]
The Moose
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58
Bet you're drooling for some P-40Ks. And to think how much you dissed them in your obvert game. [:)]

I´m drooling for P38s and P47s! But I´ll take P40Ks too... [;)]

Return to “After Action Reports”