NATO Counters (Solitaire/Multiplayer)

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

Tac2i

RE: NATO Counters (Manual Process)

Post by Tac2i »

Minor refresh to unit size mod, mostly to the small unit counters used in zoomed out mode. See top post for download link.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
lion_of_judah

RE: NATO Counters (Solitaire/Multiplayer)

Post by lion_of_judah »

what does this overide? how hard is this to make brigade and infantry symbols for units that look good? I'm thinking of doing this and making infantry units that are only for brigade and bltn counters.
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

This particular mod overwrites your standard unit counters. There is mod to put the standard counters back also. I used Paint.NET to make these counters. Feel free to improve on them.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
bill0102

Post by bill0102 »

Note 2: Even with this mod, to have large NATO counters in "Zoomed In" mode as depicted below requires a change to the generic.at2/anewdawn.at2 file. If you are comfortable with the editor it is Setng->RuleVars->Engine Graphics->871 -> change value to 0 and save. This will give you large and standard size NATO counters.

Hi

I am using the latest steam version of the game. When I try to change that setting using the editor, the setting is already at "0". The NATO counters do not show in zoomed in mode. Is there anything else I could try?

thanks for the counters-mod.

Bill
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

Note that this change would need made to each at2 file. For instance, if you made this change to anewdawn.at2 (officers/no tank models) you would would also need to make the same change to anewdawn2.at2 (officers and tank models) as well (and other at2 random game files you are playing) .

Note also this will only affect new games started after the change was made. It has no affect on saved games already in progress.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
bill0102

Post by bill0102 »

ORIGINAL: Webizen

Note that this change would need made to each at2 file. For instance, if you made this change to anewdawn.at2 (officers/no tank models) you would would also need to make the same change to anewdawn2.at2 (officers and tank models) as well (and other at2 random game files you are playing) .

Also, in case I made a mistake in the number, try 1 instead of 0. I'll verify this evening.

Note also this will only affect new games started after the change was made. It has no affect on saved games already in progress.

Thanks for your help. I guess the problem is that I don't really know how to use the editor to change those files - the changes I make are not getting saved.

EDIT - I think I got it. I made the edit after "making" the game and then saved the game - the zoomed in icons are now NATO counters. Thanks again.

Bill
baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

Is it possible to try the mod, and if I decide I want to, to go back to the original counters?
JRR
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

From one of webizen's above posts :
This particular mod overwrites your standard unit counters. There is mod to put the standard counters back also.

This works well.

Chuck
Steely Glint

Post by Steely Glint »

I have version 2.20 and cannot get NATO counters no matter what I try. Can someone please walk me through how to do it?
“It was a war of snap judgments and binary results—shoot or don’t, live or die.“

Wargamer since 1967. Matrix customer since 2003.
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

Download (right click -- Save Target As) one of the two files under "Turn regular counters into NATO counters." Use the Install Zip/File button to install the atzip file you downloaded. You now have NATO counters.
ORIGINAL: Steely Glint

I have version 2.20 and cannot get NATO counters no matter what I try. Can someone please walk me through how to do it?
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Steely Glint

Post by Steely Glint »

Download (right click -- Save Target As) one of the two files under "Turn regular counters into NATO counters." Use the Install Zip/File button to install the atzip file you downloaded. You now have NATO counters.
ORIGINAL: Steely Glint

I did that. I still get pictorial counters. There is no main screen option to choose NATO counters, and the only way I can get NATO counters at all (and these are the ones without unit size indicators, which are therefore useless to me) is by selecting a version of the 4 Seasons Mod.

To get your NATO mod with unit size indicators running do I have to select some special .at2 file? Or do I need to uninstall the 4 Seasons Mod?
“It was a war of snap judgments and binary results—shoot or don’t, live or die.“

Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

My NATO mod is not dependent on any at2 file. No main screen option is needed as the mod overwrites the standard unit counters. Thus, if properly installed, you will have NATO counters with any game that uses those counters.

Ormand's mod uses it own set of custom NATO counters and is unaffected by my mod. Same with Bombur's mods as well. They use their own set of custom unit counters.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Steely Glint

Post by Steely Glint »

My NATO mod is not dependent on any at2 file. No main screen option is needed as the mod overwrites the standard unit counters. Thus, if properly installed, you will have NATO counters with any game that uses those counters.

Ormand's mod uses it own set of custom NATO counters and is unaffected by my mod. Same with Bombur's mods as well. They use their own set of custom unit counters.

Between my last message and yours I reinstalled your .atzip file using the game's installer. I then exited, reloaded the game, and started another game using standard defaults and got pictorial units.

I'm running 2.20. What gives?

Steely Glint

Post by Steely Glint »

"Note 2: Even with this mod, to have large NATO counters in "Zoomed In" mode as depicted below requires a change to the generic.at2/generic2.at2/anewdawn.at2/anewdawn2.at2 files. If you are comfortable with the editor it is Setng->RuleVars->Engine Graphics->871 -> change value to 0 and save. This will give you large and standard size NATO counters. "

This must be what it is. All the editor ever offers me when I click on it is the ability to change the hex size of the map.

How do I make these changes?

Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

Check this ATG folder: \graphics\at2\fordcounter. If you don't see NATO counters there then renamed the atzip file to zip. Then manually extract the counters into that folder. Another option to try is put the atzip file in 'Matrix Games' folder and try installing from there.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

So your issue is only with NATO counters in zoomed in mode?
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Steely Glint

Post by Steely Glint »

Okay. Learning editor now. Will see if I can make it work.

Steely Glint

Post by Steely Glint »

So your issue is only with NATO counters in zoomed in mode?

Yes. Working on learning the editor now.

Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

Editor: load at2 file using Load Scenario button, press Edit.

steps 1 - 6 (step 1 is click on setng button/step 5 is change value of rulvar 871 from 1 to 0)

step 6a

step 7

Note: these changes will only affect new games. Will have no affect on saved games before the change was made.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Steely Glint

Post by Steely Glint »

Editor: load at2 file using Load Scenario button, press Edit.

steps 1 - 6

step 7

Note: these changes will only affect new games. Will have no affect on saved games before the change was made.

Doesn't work. Still get the pictures. And I do not get your choice to save as shown in your screenshot of step 7.

1. The editor is counter-intuitive, poorly designed, and just too hard to use.

2. No matter what I do, even with the value clearly set at 1, I keep getting the stupid pictures instead of the NATO symbols at large scale. This makes zero sense.

3. I have, so far, reinstalled the game, made sure nothing was read-only, and reinstalled the mods (with yours last), and tried four different sessions with zero success. This is ridiculous. I appreciate what you've done but this isn't a mod to me any more, it's an ordeal. And I am not a novice, I have been a computer gamer since the seventies (no, that is not a typo).

I want to play this game, but without NATO symbols that is not happening. They should have been built into the game (seriously, who except children want pictures?) and the lack of them is going to kill the game for me.

This is the second Matrix product in a row that has been unplayable for me. I think maybe I need to stop shopping here.

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”