Drums of War - No BigBaba

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

terje439

RE: Drums of War - No BigBaba

Post by terje439 »

Turn 45

Overall
Nothing happens due to mud.

Casualties
USSR : 48.000 troops, 319 guns, 15 AFVs, 28 AC.
Axis : 28.000 troops, 151 guns, 23 AFVs, 13 AC.

Partisans
We kill the one on the map.

USSR units in pockets at start of turn

USSR units in pockets at end of turn

USSR units destroyed
None.

German Pools
Manpower : 1.247
Vehicles : 155.978
Armaments : 278.303
Hiwi : 4
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
terje439

Post by terje439 »

Turn 46

Overall
Nothing happens due to mud.

Casualties
USSR : 44.000 troops, 254 guns, 15 AFVs, 58 AC.
Axis : 28.000 troops, 130 guns, 11 AFVs, 5 AC.

Partisans
We kill the one on the map this turn as well.

USSR units in pockets at start of turn

USSR units in pockets at end of turn

USSR units destroyed
None.

German Pools
Manpower : 4.478
Vehicles : 160.059
Armaments : 297.206
Hiwi : 2

Tophat1815

Post by Tophat1815 »

Drops a pin................"Hello!!!!!!"....................................................[>:]
bigbaba

Post by bigbaba »

hi all,

terje had huge RL problems and also a dead PC. me myself had also huge changes (relocation, jew job...) and was not able to play the last months but now i am back. i offerd terje to let me know whenever or if he likes to continue this game.
terje439

Post by terje439 »

Game is back on, although...well, it is a mess due to a catastrophic -41 which is something the Axis cannot recover from. So whenever I tried to attack in -42 there would be 3-4 USSR divisions in reserve getting activated. This game should be over by mid44 the latest.
We are now in Mud -42, and the front goes pretty much straight south from Riga. Add in how the "quantity is a quality of its own" completely overrides mere quality, and this is ofc a lost battle.
If there is interest, I will start posting again, if not I will simply keep playing BigBaba in private.
As is custom for me, the game goes on untill the bitter end [:)]

Terje

Tophat1815

Post by Tophat1815 »

How is this one going now? What month and year are you in now?
Disgruntled Veteran

Post by Disgruntled Veteran »

ORIGINAL: terje439

Game is back on, although...well, it is a mess due to a catastrophic -41 which is something the Axis cannot recover from. So whenever I tried to attack in -42 there would be 3-4 USSR divisions in reserve getting activated. This game should be over by mid44 the latest.
We are now in Mud -42, and the front goes pretty much straight south from Riga. Add in how the "quantity is a quality of its own" completely overrides mere quality, and this is ofc a lost battle.
If there is interest, I will start posting again, if not I will simply keep playing BigBaba in private.
As is custom for me, the game goes on untill the bitter end [:)]

Terje

Don't feel bad. I'm playing SillyFlower and Belphegor and my game will probably be over by mid 44 as well.
SigUp

Post by SigUp »

For the supposed inherent advantage the game gives the German side a lot of GHC players sure are struggling. [;)]
Ketza

Post by Ketza »

I am looking forward to the next patch. When I get back from my latest work adventure I am starting a game as Axis with the new patch.
Disgruntled Veteran

ORIGINAL: SigUp

For the supposed inherent advantage the game gives the German side a lot of GHC players sure are struggling. [;)]

I'm playing the Soviets for the first time ever (AI or Human) and although its only T006 I am feeling very confident of a win. Its really the Soviets game to lose IMO.
smokindave34

Post by smokindave34 »

Don't feel bad. I'm playing SillyFlower and Belphegor and my game will probably be over by mid 44 as well.

What happened DV? Last I checked you were holding up pretty well in your game against "The Pro's"?
Disgruntled Veteran

ORIGINAL: smokindave34

What happened DV? Last I checked you were holding up pretty well in your game against "The Pro's"?

I've been meaning to put an update on the old AAR but I got burned out on AAR's. By late 42 the drive was stopped. Summer of 43 went from a decent position to a o armament burned out mass of refugees. Its currently late January 44 and Ive lost Romania..almost lost all the Ukraine, and am retreating quickly in the Center and the North. I've probably had 50-60 divisions destroyed with another dozen disbanded. The mountains of Hungary are holding well and will probably continue to do so until Summer.
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

ORIGINAL: Disgruntled Veteran

ORIGINAL: SigUp

I'm playing the Soviets for the first time ever (AI or Human) and although its only T006 I am feeling very confident of a win. Its really the Soviets game to lose IMO.

At this point my own view is that between two experienced players, the Soviets have a definite edge right now. And that is all it takes given the nature of the game -- a small edge becomes bigger and bigger over time. It's hard to hit that sweet spot given the feedback loops. It's just too narrow a range.

It wouldn't take much to flip it back to the Germans.

We'll see how the next patch shakes out with the option to drop the 2:1 rule. I'm frankly skeptical that this is going to set things straight.
WitE Alpha Tester
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

I thk vs the better SHC players all things being equal that they will still win all be it early 45.

Now the better GHC players vs good to average SHC it will probably be a run away or draw.

I think there are many ways the better SHC players can still stop the GHC in 42 and get the snowball rolling in mid 43.

Problem like you say is to make the game balanced for both sides with semi-equal players is very hard because of the snowball effect.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Yes I agree with both you guys on this point. The 1-1 rule on its own won't do it. Thats why I am going to try a 50% fort mod.
carlkay58

Post by carlkay58 »

Version 1.08 already is reducing the fort effects. I am not sure as to the exact amount, but I think it is around 50%. The Version notes will have the exact amount.
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Ok fine, thats good. I am only basing my parameters on what was stated in a post about recommended settings for 1.08

If it is automatically doing a reduction, cool.
terje439

Post by terje439 »

Leave the forum and an abandoned AAR for some time, and it springs to life on its own [:D]

Ok, so to update. The game is now turning from Jan to Feb -44, I hold an area from the east-west mountain range in the south and up to (mostly) the major riverline in Poland. The river is breeched (was with one attack in the summer against three Inf divs in a lvl 3 fort, but that is what a USSR eng value of 60 does...).
I have suffered no major losses (I think we are talking a total of 6 divisions in all), German OOB is around 3.2M (having dropped alot in the last 10 or so turns), the USSR OOB is aprox 8-9M.
Pz Divs are rather healthy (one or two down to a CV of 8, rest are in the 10-20 range), and are used to eliminate USSR encircle efforts.

As to what is waiting further east I will not discuss atm as Bigbaba might read this, although I think he is well aware of what he is facing [;)].

What is very clear to me after this game is that a good USSR player will not have too many problems against someone like me. Some of the problems are ofc the 2:1 which means that it is very doable to reopen pockets that are held by PzDivs, and that (and this is IMO) the game focuses a tad much on numbers to calculate attacks. 3:1 in CV but only 1:1 in men means the latter number will prevail most of the time in my games.
That means that when I had a bad -41, I was fucked, as the USSR did not need to spend its points on rebuilding her army, but instead could start making corps formations earlier on. The renewed attack in -42 made no headway, so it was aborted to save manpower and armaments.

Do I have the mechanical understanding of the game that many others have, no. DO I want to have it, no. It is a game. When you are almost forced to do things in a peculiar way, the fun goes away for me, so I will play the game to the end as me.
That ofc means that PzDivs will remain PzDivs, not regiments used to maximize number of reserve activations etc etc. Does that mean I might end up losing this game a tad earlier, probably. Do I care, nope.
Will I play another game of WitE, nope. The game is no longer any fun for me tbh. That is just how I feel.

Terje

Return to “After Action Reports”