What is the real status of TOAW?

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III is the next game in the award-winning Operational Art of War game series. TOAW3 is updated and enhanced version of the TOAW: Century of Warfare game series. TOAW3 is a turn based game covering operational warfare from 1850-2015. Game scale is from 2.5km to 50km and half day to full week turns. TOAW3 scenarios have been designed by over 70 designers and included over 130 scenarios. TOAW3 comes complete with a full game editor.

Moderators: ralphtricky, JAMiAM

BigDuke66

RE: What is the real status of TOAW?

Post by BigDuke66 »

ORIGINAL: Werewolf1326
We live in a capitalist economy (a good thing).
Not at all but currently there seems to be no better "thing".
Matrix must play by the rules to survive.
Sure but do they put any money at all into the patch making?
I see Beta patches made for WitP that won't see an official release because they seem to refuse to invest that bit time(aka money) to make any of them it official, so I doubt they put money in for making the patch.
Same counts here but that is there problem not my and as long as I can get at least some form of support(beta patches) I'm happy, no support at all is what makes me unhappy.
So basically it seems they refuse to make the customers happy even when it doesn't seem to cost them anything, rules are rules but from the customer view you simply can't wonder why some get upset here.
This is what it is all about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTFJocQBLyE
No, currently in this state with some form of closed Beta, or whatever that is supposed to be, going on we are here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18AzodTPG5U
newtigersqn

Post by newtigersqn »

ORIGINAL: pz501

If we're civil and respectful to each other, it just might encourage a response from
Matrix if someone in authority reads the thread.

Considering that this is a forum run by Matrix, one would have to assume that somebody associated
with the company visits the forum from time to time.

That being said, it would appear that Matrix is ignoring the calls of the TOAW community for some
word on progress(or not)on any future version or patch for the greatest wargame in history.

The fans of TOAW are a very loyal lot, but the company is seriously running the risk of alienating
its fanbase.
I used to think I was indecisive, now I'm not so sure.
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

This is fairly the same kind of thread(s) that appeared before TOAW3 release and any announced patch after. If you go back and look you'll see. But it seems with each patch after TOAW3 the whiners get, well, whinier and more aggressive. No one has ever made a promise of a release date and for good reason. If you miss the release date out come the pitchforks and flaming torches as the villagers storm the lab and burn everything in sight. As for people receiving a beta before everyone else, that's how things work. Some are beta testers. Some are not. There always seems to be one or two individuals who go over the top crying about perceived wrongs because they can't have the access the beta testers have. None of the teeth gnashing nor tantrums will do any good. It's done when it's done.

Maybe if someone takes the time to ask Erik (NICELY) if a beta tester or two could post updates *cough Larry cough* he would allow the NDA to be suspended for those people. Then, if he says no or doesn't respond, be an adult and accept that instead of throwing yourself on the floor, kicking and screaming.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
newtigersqn

Post by newtigersqn »

ORIGINAL: Lobster

This is fairly the same kind of thread(s) that appeared before TOAW3 release and any announced patch after. If you go back and look you'll see. But it seems with each patch after TOAW3 the whiners get, well, whinier and more aggressive. No one has ever made a promise of a release date and for good reason. If you miss the release date out come the pitchforks and flaming torches as the villagers storm the lab and burn everything in sight. As for people receiving a beta before everyone else, that's how things work. Some are beta testers. Some are not. There always seems to be one or two individuals who go over the top crying about perceived wrongs because they can't have the access the beta testers have. None of the teeth gnashing nor tantrums will do any good. It's done when it's done.

Maybe if someone takes the time to ask Erik (NICELY) if a beta tester or two could post updates *cough Larry cough* he would allow the NDA to be suspended for those people. Then, if he says no or doesn't respond, be an adult and accept that instead of throwing yourself on the floor, kicking and screaming.

Who's kicking and screaming ? [&:]

I'm merely pointing out that the non-responses from anybody in the know is severely testing the patience and loyalty of
what is generally a very loyal group.
I used to play TOAW religiously (4-5 PBEM games on the go at a time) but have stopped any PBEM playing
because of the known issues with the game and the lack of progress in any resolution to these issues.

I'm waiting patiently and hopefully that the next version/patch will be coming out eventually(if indeed there is to be one),
but must confess that the lack of any information is slowly trying my devotion to the game.

I used to think I was indecisive, now I'm not so sure.
Werewolf13

Post by Werewolf13 »

Long story SHORT!

If at some point Matrix determines that a patch will generate new or increased revenues related to TOAW3 then there may be a patch.

If not - well - don't hold yur proverbial breath (then again - give it a shot - hold your breaths - some of you might look good in blue).

Can't eat goodwill - ehhh - kind'a can - if good will turns into money at some point. But the way some of you guys think you're entitled to a patch makes me believe you may never get one if for no other reason than pure spite.

Matrix is a business in it for the money. Its that simple. And a bunch of whiney, spoiled gamers sure aren't gonna bully 'em into getting what they want. Deal with it.
Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

Dude. A patch is being worked on. Know what you're talking about before you talk about it. It's not the if it's the when that people want to know.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

[>:][>:][>:][>:]
USXpat

Post by USXpat »

I'm still working on at least one scenario that I expect to eventually see the light of day. The FITE Team has also invested a massively humongous effort into a scenario they expect will eventually see the light of day, too. We don't just throw thousands of hours into games that people will never see.

I'm not in a rush with my project, but have considered at length what possibilities might exist if absolute worst came to worst. My conclusion is that TOAW is not dead yet; likely won't be dead any time soon; and that if it did die -- that there is enough interest to resurrect it, one way or the other. In the most extreme case, as in say -- nuclear option, there is still crowdfunding. I have ZERO DOUBT about TOAW's long-term viability.

As regards Matrix's support of and the short-term status of TOAW - I don't really think their support of it is all that important provided they simply keep it alive and in play - "A FESTIVUS FOR THE REST OF US!" Eventually some "one" of us will go to extraordinary lengths to address critical issues like making an equipment editor, the AA bug or the RBC issue or even terrain mods.

TOAW WILL SURVIVE...

At first I was afraid I was petrified
Kept thinking I could never live without TOAW by my side
But then I spent so many nights
Thinking how 3.4 did me wrong
And I grew strong
And I learned how to get along
And so the fix is back
from outer space
I just walked in to find you with a sh*t eatin’ grin upon your face
I should have changed my stupid loss settings
I should have sent in more artillery
If I had known for just one second you'd be back in Normandy
Go on now go, just end your turn
Just end and send it now
'Cause you're not winnin’ anymore
Weren't you the one with a ground shock of 150
Do you think I'd crumble
Did you think I'd just lay down and die?

Oh no not I. I will survive
Oh as long as I have TOAW
I know I'll stay alive
I've got all more replacements this turn
I've been reconstituted and I'll survive
I will survive! Hey, Hey!
Oh no not I. I will survive
Oh as long as I have TOAW

It took all the strength I had not to fall apart
Kept trying' hard to mend the pieces of East Front’s broken heart
And I spent oh so many nights
Just feeling sorry for myself, I used to cry