Close Combat: Gateway to Caen "Small Map Mod"

Post new mods and scenarios here.
TIK

Close Combat: Gateway to Caen "Small Map Mod"

Post by TIK »

Hey everyone!

My Small Map Mod for Close Combat Gateway to Caen is up and ready for you to download from my site. You can find the mod here

ABOUT:

I've taken original Gateway to Caen maps and made Smaller Maps. This Mod doesn't change the original campaign at all. It is purely a "map mod". However, because we're using smaller maps, the gameplay is more intense and the battles are quicker.

I haven't played through the entire campaign using the mod, so no idea if the campaign is unbalanced now. Let me know if you think it is! ;)

Also, I don't recommend continuing a campaign you've started without the mod. Please begin a new one or at least duplicate the save of your ongoing campaign, just in case something messes up or you don't like the mod.

VIDEO

For those looking for video of the mod AND a quick video install guide, see my video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOUastcNzZ4

INSTALL:

Please read the "Read Me First" for instructions.

But just so everyone knows -

1. Unzip everything into the main directory of Close Combat Gateway to Caen.
(In my case, E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Close Combat - Gateway to Caen)

2. Run the Application file called "JSGME" that's now located in the main directory.

3. Inside JSGME, select "Small Map Mod v1.00" in the left hand box

4. Click the arrow in the center to install.

5. Run GWTC and the in-game maps should have been replaced with the smaller maps

KNOWN BUGS:

1. There's two maps that mess the resolution at 1080p. Not sure why, but I guess it's the size of them that does it.
2. I've noticed a graphics glitch with a couple maps. Escaping out of the battle and restarting it fixes that issue.
3. The red mini-map indicator for rolling barrages is messed up. Although barrages still work.

EVERYTHING ELSE

Any questions let me know. Feedback appreciated!
I have a Youtube Channel that features Close Combat and Panzer Corps Let's Plays and videos, as well as historical documentaries.
Reed

RE: Close Combat: Gateway to Caen "Small Map Mod"

Post by Reed »

Great thx
Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

Thank you TIK!
CGGrognard

Post by CGGrognard »

Review of the Mini Map Mod by TIK

Hi all! I've posted a video on TIKs Mini Map Mod on You Tube (see link above) with my impression of the mini map overall. There are Pros and Cons noted on the video link. I would appreciate your opinion of how the battles' play out on the Mini Map. The Mini Map should get things rolling quickly, but avoid becoming a type of "arcade strategy" game that prevents the units from taking their own initiative, which can make a battle more intense.

My observation of units moving "faster" could be related to the programming whereas on a normal map, the algorithm accounts for the distance and speed of the unit. In the Mini Map Mod, I think that algorithm is still accounting for the larger map, thereby creating the appearance the units are moving faster.
"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." - Sun Tzu
Longnez

Post by Longnez »

Hi all,
after installation and when leaving the battle, the game crashed and i had to reboot windows
TIK

Post by TIK »

ORIGINAL: Longnez

Hi all,
after installation and when leaving the battle, the game crashed and i had to reboot windows

Hello Longnez!

On which map in my mod were you playing when it crashed? How many times has it crashed? Were you playing a random battle? Or was it a operation or campaign?
I have a Youtube Channel that features Close Combat and Panzer Corps Let's Plays and videos, as well as historical documentaries.
TIK

Post by TIK »

Well, I'm only 9 videos in to my Let's Play (10th will be up later tonight) but it's obvious that I've completely broken the enemy on the strategic map :P

However, some things I've noticed on the tactical map -

1. The AI attacks!
2. Battles are intense
3. Battles last barely 15 minutes with morale off (this is great!) and even shorter with it on
4. Offsite artillery is OP, but fun to use
5. Infantry don't get many kills - tanks get most of the kills

Although I need to rework the strategic map and correct some VL placement mistakes, I'm really enjoying my own mod. It reminds me a lot of CC2 or CC3. If I was to redo my mod and if there were some way to implement these, I'd do the following -

1. Never use force morale
Battles are short without it, and the AI likes to give up incredibly quickly with it on. Battles without morale last longer and you get the satisfaction of completely destroying the enemy [insert evil laugh here ]

2. Allow beaten battlegroups to withdraw even if all VL's are lost
I'm thinking along the lines of CC2 or CC3 here. Battlegroups should be able to retreat, even if the VL's are lost, because it's too easy to wipe the battlegroup out by capturing all the VL's. This creates gaps in the lines that the Germans can't plug. I'd rather all battlegroups be able to retreat than be destroyed completely. Maybe German BG's always retreat South. If they're surrounded, then they can't retreat and are then destroyed.

3. Give the Germans more tank units
Yes, this might be a-historical, however, the issue with the strategic map is that there simply isn't enough German tank units. The British can easily punch a massive gap in the German lines and march all the way to Berlin if they wanted to. Give almost every German unit a small number of tanks at least. It's either that, or play as the Germans only vs AI.

4. Use the CC5-like system for units selection
This is purely because I like to rename units for the use of Let's Plays. But if I had the choice, I'd use the CC5 system to select individual units BUT have the platoon structure system that they have in GWTC. So tanks can only be taken in the 3rd platoon for example to stop someone using 20 tanks. Requisition points aren't needed for this system.

5. Use a CC3-like system for refitting a hurt unit
Tanks that are knocked out should be replaced/repaired, and infantry units should be able to be reinforced. I'd like to see this again. That way, my renamed units will stay throughout the campaign!

6. More offsite mortars
Yes, artillery is OP. However, it's really fun to smash the enemy so I'd like more mortar support. I'm thinking along the lines that, every battlegroup should have this as standard and should be able to use it in every battle. This will be quite easy to implement so I will when I create my Small Map Mod v.2.

I doubt there's a way to implement some of these, but ideally that's what I'd aim for. If anyone has any other suggestions, let me know.
CGGrognard

Post by CGGrognard »

Hi TIK,

The Small Map Mod does get the AI into action much quicker now. With the settings you describe, the battles can be short but fast paced. I'm starting a Single Player Campaign as the Germans on the Small Map Mod to see if any problems exist from that perspective.
Having completed only two battles so far, I did notice the Cassino map to be chopped off on the right hand side. This didn't affect the battle, instead the reports block was positioned in this area, actually freeing up some game map in the lower right hand side.
You mentioned the artillery as OP, but in the battle on Cassino map, you can see that the AI had to drop their artillery on top of it's front line troops. This allowed me to focus my artillery elsewhere since the AI front line troops had been suppressed already.
In my limited experience, the AI does have to attack which in turns creates a more intense battle. Battles could last longer than 15 minutes if you don't opt for the Truce, but they are quick indeed. Deployment of your forces is important though. Artillery can be OP, but more so when the AI drops theirs on its own soldiers. Since I don't have armor yet, my soldiers are doing all the killing. :)
Point number 1 - No force morale is good in that it does speed up the battle. However, one should be cautioned not to get into a "hide and seek" situation where the AI's force morale is low, but can't muster an attack. At this point, the AI will just try to capture victory locations. See my upcoming video titled Gateway To Caen - Battle 1 - SP-SMM for an illustration.
Point number 2 - Battle groups should be able to withdraw, only if they have a map to withdraw to. Otherwise, they should be removed from combat.
Point number 3 - Yes it would be great if the Germans had more tanks, or at least an option to have more tanks. For some, the challenge as the Germans is to see if they can hold out longer than their historical counter parts. For others though, seeing what the Wehrmacht can do when properly outfitted is always going to draw the "what if" scenarios.
Point number 4 - There should be an option to individually select the units and as you state, keep it within the GTC platoon structure. It seems that's the developers were straddling the fence on this issue and opted to remove the individual selection.
Point number 5 - The player, not the AI should decide which units get replenished and which vehicles get repaired.
Point number 6 - I think it is possible to change the data table of the game to where more mortar support is available. At least I know that was possible in earlier versions of Close Combat. But that would be an excellent addition to your Small Map Mod.
I look forward to version 2 and hope to see you on the battlefield.
"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." - Sun Tzu
TIK

Post by TIK »

Hey Gary!

I've replied to your points on my forum here

For anyone reading this, I'm going take any and all suggestions for now, wait for my week off work (week after next), then sort out the issues with the mod as it is. Then, if I've got time, I'll start work on creating an alternative Grand Campaign which will include as many of the suggestions/ideas as possible. If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know here or on closecombatfanatics.com
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Thanks TIK. This mod is a game-saver. I have all the Matrix CC's and without this, I'd just go back to playing Cross of Iron. I find no problem with the AI attacking in that game.

IMO, Caen is probably the worst of the lot. The British tanks move like it's WWI and all had to be modded. With all the fancy new graphics and battlegroups, this series has lost its way. And why should we think the fancy 3D graphics in the upcoming title will improve anything?

For my $280 investment in CC, I do get a lot of good things (modding, realism, etc). But I don't play RTS games in multiplayer, so your mod really helped. It's the only way I could recommend this game for SP play. Thanks!
triarius

Post by triarius »

It's correct that some tanks move extremely slow.
For those who want to speed up the tanks in the standard games,
you can enter a value between 0 and 600 in columns DO (acceleration) and
DP (top speed) of the vehicles.txt file in the BASE folder.
Just check out the data workbook.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

In previous CC's, I modded infantry movement values in the Elements file. I figured increasing the speed of "move fast" would simulate they had trucks and jeeps - which they did. In this game, you can load them, which is just more micromanagement.

Again, I have them all, and so far Caen is the weakest of the lot. If you only buy one, or only have $40 to blow, don't buy this version.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”