CLose Combat vs Battle Academy series

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

zasgard

CLose Combat vs Battle Academy series

Post by zasgard »

Hello fellow gamers

I have a quick question. Between the two series (Close Combat & Battle Academy) which of the two offers the better ww2 simulation?

I'm assuming Battle Academy is turn based and Close Combat is not? I prefer turn based.

However, accuracy is the #1 key element I'm going for.

Anyone care to chime in if they've played both?

Thanks
Rosseau

RE: CLose Combat vs Battle Academy series

Post by Rosseau »

I have all games/dlc except latest CC. My humble advice is to wait a month until they release Battle Academy 2. If half the stuff they have promised comes true, it will really be a step up to an already good game. Also, why buy CC when they are also working on a totally new engine?

Also, they might have a Steam sale on BA1 when BA2 comes out. If you can hold off about one month, might be good.

About accuracy - I am no expert, but both games model a ton of stuff that can be modded in their unit text files. Which is more accurate would start quite a debate. I would say there is not a huge difference between the two as there would be with Frontline Moscow, which is a child's wargame, imo.
Werewolf13

Post by Werewolf13 »

BA is prettier.
CC is more fun.

Just my opinion.
Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress
t001001001

Post by t001001001 »

Anyone care to chime in if they've played both?

I've played both, get both of im.

If you haven't played close combat yet, get that one first. Battle Academy is a good game but it didn't 'knock my socks off' like Close Combat did first time I played it.

Whichever one u can't go wrong, both are good.

aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

If you have good eyes get Close Combat if you can also stomach the real time of it.

If you really like turn based games more get Battle Academy.

I personally would only play Battle Academy because my eyes are not what they used to be and I just do not like real time except for Norbsoft's game engine civilwar games. They literally are in real time not simulated real time like most rts games.
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

I don't dislike the Close Combat titles (I have them eh), but comments about them lead me to think the AI suffers. If you have every intention of playing it human vs human, then you have eliminated that aggro.

I find the AI in Battle Academy is likely no better, but until you've seen most of the battles for 3 tries, it is still a challenge. Vs a human though Battle Academy has no equal in wargaming.

But I agree, if you have not had the chance to play much yet if at all, you might want to go and dive in with BA2, as it will no doubt be where the greatest amount of activity is. The original content is still great though.

If the wallet will permit it, really I think most wargamers are going to tell you to just get both :) They both have solid reputations.

Only your remark that you tend to prefer turn based will be a mark against Close Combat for obvious reasons.
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
gradenko2k

Post by gradenko2k »

CC is more realistic, and then BA is more beer-and-pretzels
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

I sure wish you boys would beat to death the expression 'beer and pretzels'.

Beer and pretzels has as much connection with accuracy as 'real time strategy' does. That being none.

I can drink beer and eat pretzels while playing Advanced Third Reich, ASL and War in the East. Does it make them a beer and pretzels game? Nope. But if drinking beer and eating pretzels is all that is required, then yes they are.

I can explain how to play Chess in a shorter span of time than it takes to explain Battle Academy. Does it mean Chess is an easy game? Nope, it means Chess has fewer things to explain.

Realism is about the silliest argument you can offer for any simulation where you can see everything. They're really just games.
gradenko2k

Post by gradenko2k »

All right, let's try that again: Whereas Close Combat will demand a tactical approach that's more grounded in realism, Battle Academy sacrifices a bit of total historical fidelity in favor of faster playability and a more rock-paper-scissors approach to unit types.
wodin

Post by wodin »

This is why I know you are DSWargamer:)

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

Beer and pretzels has as much connection with accuracy as 'real time strategy' does. That being none.

I can drink beer and eat pretzels while playing Advanced Third Reich, ASL and War in the East. Does it make them a beer and pretzels game? Nope. But if drinking beer and eating pretzels is all that is required, then yes they are.

I can explain how to play Chess in a shorter span of time than it takes to explain Battle Academy. Does it mean Chess is an easy game? Nope, it means Chess has fewer things to explain.

Realism is about the silliest argument you can offer for any simulation where you can see everything. They're really just games.
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

ORIGINAL: wodin

This is why I know you are DSWargamer:)

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

And your real name is Jason, and do you have a point Jason?
And my birth certificate not surprisingly doesn't have either on it I might add.
And the old account name is as dead as my youth I might further mention.

Return to “General Discussion”