Auto-detection of facilities OFF

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Randomizer

Auto-detection of facilities OFF

Post by Randomizer »

A caution for Scenario Authors. Ensure that all facilities that you do not wish to be auto-detected have Auto-Detect OFF before running the scenario for any time. There are lots of reasons why a scenario author may wish to run a scenario under development and reset the start time but any facilities that are auto-detected when the scenario is run even for one-second will remain auto-detected forever.

The solution is to ensure that all facilities that are to be invisible have auto-detect OFF before running the scenario at all. This particularly applies to single-unit airfields, which are essentially invisible when auto-detect is OFF but display like other facilities when auto-detect is ON.

Should this happen to you, the only thing that seems to work is deleting the offending facility and creating a replacement facility but this also deletes the contents of that facility and any aircraft assigned to missions that may have called the facility home. Just turning off Auto-Detect and moving the offending facility does not work as the game "remembers" the original location in both editor and game sessions. This not dropping moved facilities may be a bug but if so it's minor and easily avoidable. For an example of this see my Wargasm-1962 scenario and find the PVO Petropavlosk AB single-unit airfield (amongst several others - D'oh).

Posting this here because overall, things may be working as intended and this may be a function of how the scenario editor is designed.

-C
Kennetho

Re: Auto-detection of facilities OFF

Post by Kennetho »

Randomizer wrote: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:47 pm A caution for Scenario Authors. Ensure that all facilities that you do not wish to be auto-detected have Auto-Detect OFF before running the scenario for any time. There are lots of reasons why a scenario author may wish to run a scenario under development and reset the start time but any facilities that are auto-detected when the scenario is run even for one-second will remain auto-detected forever.

The solution is to ensure that all facilities that are to be invisible have auto-detect OFF before running the scenario at all. This particularly applies to single-unit airfields, which are essentially invisible when auto-detect is OFF but display like other facilities when auto-detect is ON.

Should this happen to you, the only thing that seems to work is deleting the offending facility and creating a replacement facility but this also deletes the contents of that facility and any aircraft assigned to missions that may have called the facility home. Just turning off Auto-Detect and moving the offending facility does not work as the game "remembers" the original location in both editor and game sessions. This not dropping moved facilities may be a bug but if so it's minor and easily avoidable. For an example of this see my Wargasm-1962 scenario and find the PVO Petropavlosk AB single-unit airfield (amongst several others - D'oh).

Posting this here because overall, things may be working as intended and this may be a function of how the scenario editor is designed.

-C
Hi,
I've read your post and I have exactly that problem.
I've created this huge scenario over the past 6-8 months NATO vs Russia.
When playing NATO all Russian/Belarus units are auto-detected. Also deep submerged subs.
BUT when swithching side to Russia, NATO units are not auto-detected in the same way ...

Any idea how to fix this problem?
Attachments
Baltic Brawl trim - 2022.zip
(5.49 MiB) Downloaded 8 times
TempestII

Post by TempestII »

I've made that error before too but thankfully only on a few units. I had to manually Shift + C all the units that were "auto-detected" and repaste them, deleting the original after. If there's a quicker way than this it'd be great to know.
I suppose there's also the option to export and reimport them but I haven't tried that method.
KnightHawk75

Post by KnightHawk75 »

Right click units de-check auto-detect
Clear all contacts.

I've not had problem.

As for mass changes

local s = VP_GetSide({side="blue"})
for k,v in s.units do
ScenEdit_SetUnit({guid=v.guid, Autodetectable=false});
end

use s:unitsBy() instead of s.units for filtering by types of units if needed.
Kennetho

Post by Kennetho »

KnightHawk75 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:42 am Right click units de-check auto-detect
Clear all contacts.

I've not had problem.

As for mass changes

local s = VP_GetSide({side="blue"})
for k,v in s.units do
ScenEdit_SetUnit({guid=v.guid, Autodetectable=false});
end

use s:unitsBy() instead of s.units for filtering by types of units if needed.
Hi Knighthawk,
So there is a clear all contacts?
Problem is as stated above, command “remembers”? So a couple of seconds into the game all Russian units are “revealed”.

I’m not too familiar with lua, so above is Greek to me.
So if side is nato I insert which lua together with scenario load.

Best
K
Kennetho

Post by Kennetho »

TempestII wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:46 pm I've made that error before too but thankfully only on a few units. I had to manually Shift + C all the units that were "auto-detected" and repaste them, deleting the original after. If there's a quicker way than this it'd be great to know.
I suppose there's also the option to export and reimport them but I haven't tried that method.
Hi Tempest,
That might work. But I have hundreds of units. Actually all of Russian AA and SSM brigades in Western military district here. It will take days to do above. There must be a quick fix?
What I don’t understand is aircraft in “single unit airbases” are also auto detected when they scramble?

Best
K
KnightHawk75

Post by KnightHawk75 »

So there is a clear all contacts?: Yeah select all the contacts involved you want cleared, select menu contact/drop contact.

Yeah understood what you meant but "command “remembers” ", doesn't happen for me.

---
I just haven't seen it do this 'remembering', and I've messed around a fair amount with auto-detectable and wiping contacts. I would report it in tech support if you can reproduce the problem in a specific scene. When I set something that was previously auto-detectable to off and wipe the old contact it doesn't "come back" for me till naturally detected.

(click img for larger view)
Facility set to auto detect at the start:

Facility changed to auto-detection off. It's time since last detected starts ticking.

Facility contact dropped.

Facility does not "come back".

Gods eye view just to show it's still there and but not coming back as it shouldn't.
Kennetho

Post by Kennetho »

Hi,
I've been working on my scenario all night - with the autodetect issue.
I found, that when running the scenario in the editor mode, everything works as intended; contacts are not autodetected and identified by unit name and number.
This happens only when running the game in "Start new game".

I would understand why it was the other way around!!

Any idea why this happen?
KnightHawk75

Post by KnightHawk75 »

Kennetho wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:06 am Hi,
I've been working on my scenario all night - with the autodetect issue.
I found, that when running the scenario in the editor mode, everything works as intended; contacts are not autodetected and identified by unit name and number.
This happens only when running the game in "Start new game".

I would understand why it was the other way around!!

Any idea why this happen?
Oh that's interesting, makes sense why I couldn't reproduce it (I play in editor 99% of the time). Off hand I can't think of a reason why that would deliberately be the case outside the editor. Could be bug or something else going on in the scene that is maybe causing it. Could you attach or PM me the scenario in question saved at a point where things are set auto-detection false and contacts wiped (ie one would think from that point forward they would not re-appear), but before they get-detected, that would help me try to trace things.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”