I hate to keep asking but...

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Stevechase

I hate to keep asking but...

Post by Stevechase »

I am working on a scenario and I need to be able to incorporate a specific mission for aircraft. I have posted before for ideas but none so far do the trick. So here is the situation:

You have side A and side B of course. Side A has a section of airspace that it wants to defend with an intercept mission (not aaw patrol mission) in which the assigned aircraft only launch when side B enemy ac is detected by side A sensors entering that airspace. When this happens some (the rest remain on ground for next time the zone is violated) of the intercepting ac launch to intercept the bogey/s, conduct their mission then land once the zone is cleared of enemy ac or they run out of relevant ammo or fuel.

In summary the ac with intercept mission never launch unless side A sensors detect an enemy entering the specified zone. Further, side A may detect enemy ac all around the zone but the intercept mission will only launch once any of those detected enemy ac enter that zone. And I believe what I have described does a good job of reflecting a real life intercept type mission.

Would really, really and really love to see a new feature addressing this, but will settle for doable workaround Any ideas that would accomplish this?

Please note: you can not use the event editor to accomplish this because its triggers are not dependent on side A radar detecting the ac. And using event triggers would render stealth useless ie. if side B enters the zone with stealth ac they will be auto detected even if side A has no sensors.

Tomcat84

RE: I hate to keep asking but...

Post by Tomcat84 »

How is this one:

The way I have done it is to use scoring as a sort of AND condition. B52 enterign gives Side A a score of 2, B52 actually being detected (there IS a unit detected trigger in the event editor, not sure why you say there is not?) adds another 2 points = 4 points, 4 points score trigger triggers the mission.

Second bomber has a same setup but gives 6 points each, points reaches at least 11, second mission fires.

Issues:

If the B1 showed up first he'd still launch his mission (reaches 11 points) but the B52 mission wouldnt launch anymore because score would never equal 4. Solutions: use an extra side for scoring per event, but that can rack up the sides and more sides = less performance (make sure to set a scoring only side to non playable and blind awareness level

Or, make a minus X score (where X is detection + entering area score combined) to reset the score. Problem might happen if events start running mixed through each other.

Other problem, separate one, is that as you can see in the demo, the second non target B1 gets attacked by the launched fighters for some reason, even though it is not a target of the mission and Engage targets of opportunity ROE is set to no. Not sure, might be a bug.

Let me know if this helps! If it is not clear ask, am in a bit of a hurry right now thats why the post is a bit rushed. Look at the event chains and let me know if it doesnt make sense.
Attachments
intercepttest.zip
(9.66 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
My Scenarios and Tutorials for Command

(Scenarios focus on air-warfare :) )
Tomcat84

Post by Tomcat84 »

My assumption is that it's meant to script an AI side into action. You don't want to mess with the player's side's scoring of course.

Stevechase

Post by Stevechase »

Actually it is meant to be a feature available to the player in game, just like AAW patrol and can be changed, moved, or canceled at any time just like a regular strike or AAW patrol mission. I will take a look at your attachment though when I get a sec thanks
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Hi guys thanks for looking into this. We'll definitely take a look when we get back.

Mike
Stevechase

Post by Stevechase »

Glad to hear it.

Thanks
Tomcat84

Post by Tomcat84 »

Ah if it is meant for player control, then I dont know, other than setting up an AAW patrol with prosecution area, setting the mission to inactive, and manually activating it as the player. Or: creating the intercept mission as the player when you need it.

There is no real "QRA" mission I guess right now that operates in the way you want completely autonomously. Of course otherwise the player doesn't have to do anything [;)] just kidding

Stevechase

Post by Stevechase »

Yeah, you've got it. It would need to be autonomous. It would really be of value for scenario editors as well. Also in real life commanders do not strictly rely on constantly manned air patrols, but use intercept missions also. Kind of like when Isreal rather than maintaining a constant AAW patrol had several armed F16's sitting on the tarmac with pilots inside the cockpit ready to go if/when an enemy was picked up on radar. Additionally once Command models fuel usage/availability for a side then it will be critical in that respect as you do not constantly have ac in the air needlessly burning fuel.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”