Shortcuts, UI tricks

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Evan85

Shortcuts, UI tricks

Post by Evan85 »

What I'm missing a guide for efficiently using the UI. All I could find was a list of shortcuts.

Some of those are super useful to know, like:

- Ctrl+ 0-9: Saves selection, 0-9 recalls it
- B-N: moves forward and backward in selection history

But there are tricks you dont find in a mere shortcut list. For example, I was creating fleets adding ships one-by-one when I couldn't mass-select them with dragging until I realized

- You can select multiple ships with shift+clicking in the left side dropdown menu

What tricks can you share to ease the UI navigation? I'd love to find out if other useful functions were hidden from me. I'd give half of my private sector for a hotkey to select all ships of the same type in a system or to be able to save Galaxy view position and zoom levels. But every little quirk counts.
Why can't I make friends? Only my Nuclear Devastator understands me.
Mortimer14

RE: Shortcuts, UI tricks

Post by Mortimer14 »

You can also select multiple ships by holding the ctrl key when you click on each ship name in the ships and bases menu. Once you have the desired ships selected, you can assign them a new fleet or add them to an existing fleet.
Evan85

Post by Evan85 »

So it's shift on one screen and ctrl on another? Ok. I knew I had to open this thread. [:)]

Keep 'em coming!
Why can't I make friends? Only my Nuclear Devastator understands me.
corwin90

Post by corwin90 »

I think 'CTRL' is used to select/deselect individual elements whereas 'SHIFT' is used to select ranges of elements.
llanite_slith

Post by llanite_slith »

So how do you change the lead ship in a fleet?
The secrets of this earth are not for all men to see, but only for those who seek them.
Vardis

Post by Vardis »

Right click on it, and select that in the menu.
Mortimer14

Post by Mortimer14 »

ORIGINAL: corwin90

I think 'CTRL' is used to select/deselect individual elements whereas 'SHIFT' is used to select ranges of elements.

This is correct. If you have a range of ships, click the top one, scroll down to the end of your list and hold shift + click on the bottom one.

If you need to select one ship here and one ship there though, use the ctrl+click.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”