Odd Happenings With an AGEod Game- WTH Is Going On?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Missouri_Rebel

RE: Odd Happenings With an AGEod Game- WTH Is Going On?

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

ORIGINAL: Queeg

I was skeptical all along that Calvinus could just up and sell the game to a third party, at least not without someone squawking. Certainly, I've never seen a situation quite like this and I've wondered if everything is a cut and dried as Calvinus seems to have thought. I hope he's right, because the new version of the game is like night and day more playable than the original.

I quite agree.

I can't help but wonder if part of whatever made whoever mad is that after years of more or less neglect by AGEOD/Matrix, someone else came along out of the blue and completely transformed the game engine. The core game is a great game - great atmosphere, nice rule set and overall very unique presentation. And now - unlike before - it runs great. Kinda makes AGEOD/Matrix look like a bunch of dummies for not doing this themselves.

It would be my GUESS that it is not a matter of pride but an honest question along legal terms. I can't see them worried about how this will affect sales of EAW because in essence they already sell this game, minus some features and an obvious improvement in performance. As a matter of fact I found it odd for Digital Froggies to even work on such a title. I am of the OPINION that the bungled first release hurt the sales enough of the Gold version that it was never a commercially successful enough venture to warrant any further improvements by anyone involved. Heck, even Calvinus admitted that he will never make another computer game again after this foray. Seems a shame really because of what I do know of the game. I honestly believe that if people would have invested the time and worked through some of the rather bothersome aspect they would feel as you and I, amongst others, do.

So I wouldn't call them dummies for not updating the game. In fact I'd think that DF buying and investing capital in a third iteration a big gamble.

I do hope it is resolved soon and that DF does have the ip rights to it though because it appears that they are more than capable of and willing to improve what I consider one of the most underrated games I've ever come across.

EDIT: I appreciate the mods you've done especially your counter one that I am using. Very nice. If you expand please contact me.
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
Alchenar

Post by Alchenar »

ORIGINAL: Queeg
I can't help but wonder if part of whatever made whoever mad is that after years of more or less neglect by AGEOD/Matrix, someone else came along out of the blue and completely transformed the game engine. The core game is a great game - great atmosphere, nice rule set and overall very unique presentation. And now - unlike before - it runs great. Kinda makes AGEOD/Matrix look like a bunch of dummies for not doing this themselves.

Oh absolutely. I love the concepts behind AGEOD's games but after Rise of Prussia and AJE I'm never going to buy another one because it's clear that they're wedded to using the same game engine forever and it's a piece of utter crap and trying to grapple with it sucks all of the fun out of the experience.
Jim D Burns

Post by Jim D Burns »

ORIGINAL: Alchenar
Oh absolutely. I love the concepts behind AGEOD's games but after Rise of Prussia and AJE I'm never going to buy another one because it's clear that they're wedded to using the same game engine forever and it's a piece of utter crap and trying to grapple with it sucks all of the fun out of the experience.

The game being discussed (La Grande Guerre) does not use the same game engine as the games you mention, not even close.

Here's the forum for the game:

http://www.ageod-forum.com/forumdisplay ... erre-14-18

Here's an AAR with lots of screenshots, you can see there are huge differences with this engine:

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.p ... lan-(Gold)

Jim
decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: wodin

I prefer WW1Gold..for me it comes closer than any of them in getting WW1 right..next would be Battlefronts Great War game and then Commander..

Though really you can't compare WW1Gold and Coimmander as they are aimed at different types of players.

Agoeds WW1Gold is stable and no apparent bugs as far as I can tell. It's so indepth and the way the mechanics change for the maneuver part of the War and then the Stalemate does it perfectly..no other game yet has managed to do it aswell.

I had enjoyed that sim, esp. how naval battles and land combat were resolved, but the maps were resource intensive and although the manual was more than understandable, the in-game info was poorly translated into English and I never really understood what those random cards actually meant.

However, despite it all I did get a feel for WW I and learned, among other things, that the Somme was a counter-offensive to take the pressure off of Verdun.

Maybe WW1Gold should be looked at again by AGEOD, cleaned-up and re-released for the 100th anniversary.
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
gradenko2k

Post by gradenko2k »

ORIGINAL: Jim D Burns
The game being discussed (La Grande Guerre) does not use the same game engine as the games you mention, not even close.

Here's the forum for the game:

http://www.ageod-forum.com/forumdisplay ... erre-14-18

Here's an AAR with lots of screenshots, you can see there are huge differences with this engine:

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.p ... lan-(Gold)

Jim

The fundamental problems with AGEOD's UI design doesn't really go away La Grande Guerre just because they're not mechanically identical with Rise of Prussia/AJE/ACW and the likes.

You've still got a map that emphasizes form over function to a ridiculous degree, unit info that's overly reliant on mouseover tooltips (or more) and stack iconography that doesn't mesh well with region-based movement/combat.
Queeg

Post by Queeg »

ORIGINAL: Joe D.

I had enjoyed that sim, esp. how naval battles and land combat were resolved, but the maps were resource intensive and although the manual was more than understandable, the in-game info was poorly translated into English and I never really understood what those random cards actually meant.

However, despite it all I did get a feel for WW I and learned, among other things, that the Somme was a counter-offensive to take the pressure off of Verdun.

Maybe WW1Gold should be looked at again by AGEOD, cleaned-up and re-released for the 100th anniversary.

WWI CE addresses virtually every one of these issues. Apart from the performance improvements - literally night and day over Gold - they also rewrote the tool tips so you know, in plain English, why you can or cannot make a move, etc. The new developer clearly made an effort to make the game more user friendly, even apart from the improved performance.

I'm no programmer and thus have no idea how much effort was involved, but I can't help but wonder why AGEOD/Matrix didn't do these same things themselves. Or, for that matter, why whoever is suing the new developer suddenly seems to care so much about a game they neglected for so long. Could it be because EAW is just around the corner? Strikes me as more than a coincidence.
Queeg

Post by Queeg »

ORIGINAL: gradenko_2000

The fundamental problems with AGEOD's UI design doesn't really go away La Grande Guerre just because they're not mechanically identical with Rise of Prussia/AJE/ACW and the likes.

You've still got a map that emphasizes form over function to a ridiculous degree, unit info that's overly reliant on mouseover tooltips (or more) and stack iconography that doesn't mesh well with region-based movement/combat.

It's mostly a matter of taste, I guess, but I much prefer WWI's interface to that of the AGEOD games. Both certainly have quirks, but I particularly hate the force construction mechanic of AGEOD games - I feel like I spend all my time filling "containers." WWI has the army management window that allows you to do all that in one screen.

And the counters are far more informative in WWI. I know that 7.5.2 orange-flagged (elite) unit is better than a 6.4.2 yellow-flagged (veteran) unit without looking at tool tips or ledgers or charts - the counter tells me pretty much everything I need to know.

Finally, both games have a lot of number crunching that goes on under the hood in the combat model - but both games tell me what I want to know if I care to study the battle logs. WWI, however, does a much better job of telling me what I need to know without any digging. And, of course, I get to fight the battles in WWI instead of being the passive spectator I am in AGEOD games.
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Still no word or info coming out on what exactly is going on. Centennial hangs in the balance. Seems a shame.
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
histgamer

Post by histgamer »

These types of things have to be a pr nightmare for both sides as legal restraints cause them from fully explaining the whys behind it leading to the side initiating the legal claim usually looking bad even if they have a valid claim. I try not to take a side in stuff like this but I really wish we could know whats happening, even if I know we can't.
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Probably true. Can't see why a short factual statement would hurt though. Maybe naivety on my end?
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

I have WWI Gold and would be interested in buying any game that would improve on it. Haven't been on Steam, but wondering - what price were they selling Centennial for?
histgamer

Post by histgamer »

ORIGINAL: rosseau

I have WWI Gold and would be interested in buying any game that would improve on it. Haven't been on Steam, but wondering - what price were they selling Centennial for?

$19.99 so less than Matrix sells it for.

Return to “General Discussion”