Character Conundrums

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

silentdeth

Character Conundrums

Post by silentdeth »

In an older thread Erik posted:
ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
...to limit this a bit: overall number of characters you can have in an empire of your size, number of characters you already have for that character role, etc.

Can anyone give me more details on what the limits actually are? What is the limit per role? What is the overall character limit based on, meaning what is 'empire size' based off of, population? number of colonies?
How much of a bonus do spy academies, research academies, ect. provide and how to do they stack: are there any diminishing returns?

For empires with multiple races:
Do academies provide a bonus to just the colony they are built on? If race 1 builds an academy at a colony of full of race 2 will they increase the chance of the new character being race 2?
Does the race of newly generated characters have any effect on the skills that character gets when the new character's race is different from the empires race?
Do multi-race empire gain character recruitment benefits from the additional races: i.e. If a empire of race 1, with 0% bonus to recruiting scientist, captures a colony of race 2, with a 20% bonus to recruiting scientist, resulting in an empire in which 50% of population is of race 1, and 50% is of race 2; does the empire have a 10% bonus to recruiting scientist or is it still 0%?
My Let's Plays of Distant Worlds: Universe Season 2: Human|Season 3: Kiadian|Season 4: Pirate(Balanced)
Blackstork

RE: Character Conundrums

Post by Blackstork »

ORIGINAL: silentdeth

In an older thread Erik posted:
ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
...to limit this a bit: overall number of characters you can have in an empire of your size, number of characters you already have for that character role, etc.

Can anyone give me more details on what the limits actually are? What is the limit per role? What is the overall character limit based on, meaning what is 'empire size' based off of, population? number of colonies?
How much of a bonus do spy academies, research academies, ect. provide and how to do they stack: are there any diminishing returns?

For empires with multiple races:
Do academies provide a bonus to just the colony they are built on? If race 1 builds an academy at a colony of full of race 2 will they increase the chance of the new character being race 2?
Does the race of newly generated characters have any effect on the skills that character gets when the new character's race is different from the empires race?
Do multi-race empire gain character recruitment benefits from the additional races: i.e. If a empire of race 1, with 0% bonus to recruiting scientist, captures a colony of race 2, with a 20% bonus to recruiting scientist, resulting in an empire in which 50% of population is of race 1, and 50% is of race 2; does the empire have a 10% bonus to recruiting scientist or is it still 0%?

1. As far as i understand them mechanics, yes, academies are limited to colonies htey built on
2. Yes, academy on planet of race 2 will increase race 2 character.
3. At normal game its no difference. Thats sad, but that can be changed with extensive modding. Atm i am woorking on huge modding prokect which will introduce pool of 500 custom characters per race , and all races character will differ and have cons/pros for being of certain race.
4. I think its claculated per colony, by % multiplication (not sure 100% tho)
Alien Immersion (WIP) : tm.asp?m=3651979
Beyond Extended Universe (WIP): tm.asp?m=3657646
silentdeth

Post by silentdeth »

Thanks, any information on the limits to the number of characters?
My Let's Plays of Distant Worlds: Universe Season 2: Human|Season 3: Kiadian|Season 4: Pirate(Balanced)
Vardis

Post by Vardis »

1. As far as i understand them mechanics, yes, academies are limited to colonies they built on

What does this mean? Isn't most of this stuff empire-wide? For instance, I seem to have a chance to get a new scientist when doing something that gives a skill increase for a scientist, such as a critical success, researching something, or building a research station. Is that chance actually calculated per colony, so the more I have, the higher chance of getting a character?
feelotraveller

Post by feelotraveller »

From what i have understood from earlier posts (which colours what I think I have seen replicated in the game...) there are two mechanisms by which characters can be generated. The one that Erik's comment refers to is a limit to the number of characters based upon empire size (population, I think). 20 characters was mentioned at one point as the maximum limit but could well have been changed since then. There is some sort of diminishing curve like that of empire research potential. The other mechanism (which can allow you to exceed this limit) is by event. So an admiral from a space battle, a general from a ground fight, etc. Academies stack but, if I've got it right, have some sort of diminishing return as well. The effects of academies are empire wide. There is at least one case of racial characteristics directly (and always) affecting characters (Quameno diplomats). And, unless it is just me, races seem weighted towards getting certain traits/skills. So many corrupt Ugnari characters in my last couple of games. [:D]

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”