Become abit obsessed with WH40K

Games Workshop’s “Battle for Armageddon” setting in a series of amazing multiplatform, turn-based, hex-based games. Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon will make full use of Slitherine's expertise in creating compelling and challenging strategy gaming experiences. The initial game is set during the Second War of Armageddon and players will lead the Imperial forces of the Armageddon Steel Legion and Space Marines®from the Ultramarines, Blood Angels and Salamanders Chapters against Ghazghkull Thraka’s massive Ork Waaagh! invasion through over 30 scenarios, on the hostile terrain of the planet and its gigantic Hive Cities.
wodin

Become abit obsessed with WH40K

Post by wodin »

Decided to give the novels ago and read NightLords Omnibus..amazing read. I then went online and ordered a few more Omnibus editions. So this game has alot more interest for me.

I'm sill confused about the scale though? What does a unit of Space marines represent? Or a Tank?

Thanks
Rodwonder

RE: Become abit obsessed with WH40K

Post by Rodwonder »

Try anything by Dan Abnett Wodin, he's really good and Graham McNeils Storm of Iron...
Rod T DeMore
wodin

Post by wodin »

Went a bit book crazy and bought...(All second hand except NightLords. The Founding was like new.)

NightLords Omnibus
Ultramarines Omnibus
Blood Angels Omnibus Vol 1
Blood Angels Omnibus Vol 2
Grey Knights Omnibus
The Founding Omnibus

The Saint Omnibus ( I already had this for awhile now, didn't realise when I bough it i was No 2 so I can read it once I finish The Founding)
SPace Wolf Omnibus (Had this awhile)
Rodwonder

Post by Rodwonder »

ORIGINAL: wodin

Went a bit book crazy and bought...(All second hand except NightLords. The Founding was like new.)

NightLords Omnibus
Ultramarines Omnibus
Blood Angels Omnibus Vol 1
Blood Angels Omnibus Vol 2
Grey Knights Omnibus
The Founding Omnibus

The Saint Omnibus ( I already had this for awhile now, didn't realise when I bough it i was No 2 so I can read it once I finish The Founding)
SPace Wolf Omnibus (Had this awhile)

Good reads all! [8D]
Rod T DeMore
wodin

Post by wodin »

NightLords was superb. Even someone not into WH40K would olove it I'm sure. Dark and engaging storyline. One moment your routing for Talos next you find him abhorrent and then later you warm to him again.
reapagan

Post by reapagan »

The Cephias Caine series is really good, interjects a little humor with the carnage. (Andrea Mitchell)
JiminyJickers

Post by JiminyJickers »

Yeah, I really enjoy the books too. At the moment, making a slow way through the Horus Heresy. But will probably read the Eisenhorn omnibus next.
v.Manstein

Post by v.Manstein »

What book do you have to start off with? In case I am interested, I would like to read them in order.
wodin

Post by wodin »

I just went for the Omnibus books. Start with any really. I started with the first Space Wolf omnibus. Actually I'd recommend NightLords for a chaos space marine omnibus, First Space Wolf or Blood Angels omnibus for Imperial Space Marine and The Founding (Gaunts Ghost first omnibus) for human imperial force.

Every Omnibus is a self contained story arc.

The first two omnibus\WH40K books I read was Space Wolf first omnibus and then NightLords. Loved them. Since then those books I mention further up I've read the lot in about 2 or so months!! Just bought The Salamanders Omnibus and getting stuck into that!

The Horus Heresy series is about 10,000 years earlier. I'm not sure if your best leaving that series until your more acquainted with the universe or actually start with it. The first three books in that series need to be rea din order, after that though you can pick and choose.
Rodwonder

Post by Rodwonder »

I second what wodin said! Also check out The Emperor's Gift it's somewhat a prelude to this battle of Armageddon.
Rod T DeMore
JiminyJickers

Post by JiminyJickers »

ORIGINAL: v.Manstein

What book do you have to start off with? In case I am interested, I would like to read them in order.

If you are referring to my post, then the first one in the series is Horus Rising.

I just use the list from the Black Library website here
Mundy

Post by Mundy »

Storm of Iron was my first Black Library book, and loved it. I became a Honsou fan after that.

The Horus Heresy series is very good and lays down quite a foundation for later 40K events.

Ed-
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

The Horus Heresy series starts out very good, and rapidly becomes VERY wobbly in quality.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
wodin

Post by wodin »

I believe the first three Heresy books are must reads though. Thankfully after them you can pick and choose what to read in the series.
zman1974

Post by zman1974 »

I played RPG's in my youth and never bought into the money pit that is miniature wargaming, but I LOVE the W40k fluff. I started with the Eisenhorn omnibus last year and became an addict. I have since read the Ravenor omnibus, Pariah, the entire Gaunt's Ghost saga, Titanicus (Titans!), Double Eagle (Battle of Britian W40k style), and Honour Imperialis (IG omnibus including stories of a Cadian Mechanized Regiment and Death Korps of Krieg). I am currently working my way through the first Ultramarines omnibus.

Can't wait for this game!
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

I recommend:

Space Marine
Inquisition Wars Trilogy
Both by Ian Watson. Space Marine should be read between the first and the second book of the trilogy. These were the first novels written for the setting.

Lord of the Night. A very dark novel about a Night Lord chaos space marine infiltrating an imperial hive world.

Storm of Iron. Vauban's siege warfare in 41st millenium.

Know No Fear. About Word Bearers treacherously attacking Ultramarines. Involves using a speeding space ship as a weapon of mass destruction.

Eye of Terror - written by another sci-fi author. About a rogue trader that doesn't believe in existence of gods getting lured into the Eye of Terror. Shows the insanity of the place.

Execution Hour. One of the few Wh40k novels that faithfully show space combat in the setting and the massive distances involved.

Return to “Warhammer® 40,000® Armageddon™”