HQ Sea Supply Snafu?

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Omnius

HQ Sea Supply Snafu?

Post by Omnius »

I had a British HQ in Benghazi and discovered that all of a sudden all of my units, including ships, around Egypt were in supply. This is different from a little before when I had cut the Arabian Sea convoy line so that Egypt was out of supply with the British HQ in a coastal hex. This is in version 1.192. After cutting the convoy line I thought Egypt would stay out of supply around the Med area until I reestablished a valid convoy supply line either through the Arabian Sea or the western Med.

So my question is was that legal supply? Does having an HQ in a port somehow put all other units around that sea area in supply even though there is no valid convoy supply line from Britain? I was quite surprised when I had an HQ in Benghazi and all of my British units that were previously correctly out of supply were now looking like they were illegally in supply.

I read in the 1.207 read me file that it looks like this might have been a bug that has just been fixed. I'll have to test that theory out to see if the new fix corrects what looks like a supply bug.

Omnius
AxelNL

RE: HQ Sea Supply Snafu?

Post by AxelNL »

ORIGINAL: Omnius

I had a British HQ in Benghazi and discovered that all of a sudden all of my units, including ships, around Egypt were in supply. This is different from a little before when I had cut the Arabian Sea convoy line so that Egypt was out of supply with the British HQ in a coastal hex. This is in version 1.192. After cutting the convoy line I thought Egypt would stay out of supply around the Med area until I reestablished a valid convoy supply line either through the Arabian Sea or the western Med.

So my question is was that legal supply? Does having an HQ in a port somehow put all other units around that sea area in supply even though there is no valid convoy supply line from Britain? I was quite surprised when I had an HQ in Benghazi and all of my British units that were previously correctly out of supply were now looking like they were illegally in supply.

I read in the 1.207 read me file that it looks like this might have been a bug that has just been fixed. I'll have to test that theory out to see if the new fix corrects what looks like a supply bug.

Omnius

To help I would need a bit more info from your game. Could you post the gamesave?
Omnius

Post by Omnius »

AxelNL,
Sorry I don't have a good game save. By the time I realized something seemed wrong I forgot to save the game. Can you verify that an HQ in a port that shouldn't be supplied by sea can't then turn around and put all units along the coast in that sea area in supply? If the answer is no then I'll have to try to make that happen again to create a good save of the problem. Will it help the programmer to find and fix the problem if he hasn't gotten a good save of this problem already?

I did notice that when I cut the convoy line in the Arabian Sea that when I had no British HQ in a port in the eastern Med all units there were out of supply. I was rather surprised when I landed another British HQ in Benghazi and all of a sudden all those British units became supplied magically even though there wasn't even a convoy unit in the eastern Med. I did see that when I had a convoy unit in the eastern Med but none in the Arabian Sea there was no supply.

Omnius
micheljq

Post by micheljq »

You need to trace to a primary supply source :

- any friendly city in the unit’s unconquered home country; or
- for a Commonwealth unit, any friendly city in another unconquered Commonwealth home country (South-African or Indian city would do_; or
- any friendly city in an unconquered home country of a major power the unit co-operates with

If the unit can’t trace a supply path directly to a primary supply source, it can trace it via one or more secondary supply sources instead.
A secondary supply source for a unit is:
ï an HQ the unit co-operates with (see 18.1); or
ï the capital city of a minor country controlled by the unit’s major power; or
ï the capital city of a major power, or a minor country, conquered by the unit’s major power, or by a major power the unit co-operates with.

A secondary supply source of the tracing unit must be able to trace a supply path either to a primary supply source or via another secondary supply source.

That is, your HQ or the Egyptian capital can be a secondary supply source but it must trace back to a primary source of supply. It could be oversea tracing to UK or India or South-Africa.

Than the other land units for example, would need to trace to the HQ or Egyptian capital if they are in Egypt with a range of 4 hexes in clear weather, cautious desert hexes count as 2 hexes for supply if I am right.

Hope it helps, Michel.
Michel Desjardins,
"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

There have been quite a number of supply fixes and the best bet is to install the latest public release, which I think is 1.2.0.7. (My apologies if that's actually the latest beta, there will be a new beta soon anyway.)
Paul
Omnius

Post by Omnius »

micheljq,
While most of your answer wasn't helpful rehashing the rules there are parts that tell me I see a bug. When I had the Arabian Sea empty of British convoys I was out of supply all along the eastern Med. Even though I had a convoy in the eastern Med I wasn't getting supply. Not even in Alexandria where I had an Indian corp. As long as I had my HQ on a coastal hex but not a port units seemed to be correctly out of supply.

When I moved a different HQ to Benghazi then things looked wrong as all of a sudden I had all of my units along the coast in supply. That's despite the convoy missing in the Arabian Sea. So I had no link back to a primary source of supply. It looked like just because I had a convoy in the eastern Med it was causing the HQ to become incorrectly supplied.

So my question is if this a known supply bug? If it is known then I don't have to go back to a save that will allow me to recreate the supply problem again. If a saved game file is needed then I can recreate my error.

Omnius

I ran into this bug with the prior version, 1.192. I just downloaded the new 1.207 version and can see if the bug can be recreated in the new version. Looks like I have some beta testing to do.
Extraneous

Post by Extraneous »

ORIGINAL: Omnius
Omnius
If you were not using "SiF option 11: (limited overseas supply)" when judging supply the existence of convoys is immaterial. What maters is how supply to Egypt was cut and restored.

You cannot trace a supply path into a sea area that contains:
• an enemy CV, SCS or aircraft unit with an air-to-sea factor;
• unless it also contains a surface naval unit, or aircraft unit with an air-to-sea factor, (SiF option 11: convoy, TRS, or AMPH only) controlled by any major power or minor country at war with that enemy unit.

micheljq has given the examples of how to trace supply. Having a HQ in Benghazi (a minor port that doesn't border two sea zones) should have no effect on supplying Egypt.
University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)
Omnius

A Bug Fixed

Post by Omnius »

Extraneous,
As I thought I was looking at a bug in version 1.192. I found a good save of a prior turn end where I could go back and see that now in version 1.207 the units in Egypt and Libya are again out of supply despite there being an HQ in Benghazi and a convoy in the eastern Med with no enemy SCS. The Arabian Sea area doesn't have a convoy point.

Because I knew the supply rules when I landed an HQ into Benghazi and saw that all of a sudden all of my coastal units around the eastern Med were magically in supply when before they were out of supply I knew I was seeing a bug. Now I can see the bug fix in version 1.207 and that the units are once again properly out of supply. Only the two territorial units in Egypt and Palestine are correctly in supply.

I'm sure I'm using the limited supply option so convoys are important. Nice to see a bug fix happen where you can see it impact your game.

Omnius

Return to “World in Flames”