Upgrading squads

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Chris21wen

Upgrading squads

Post by Chris21wen »

Now what happens to the pool of the old squads. Currently I'm in the process of upgrading to US 42 squads. The current pool for the old US 41 is 462. I'm assuming that at sometime in the future, when there are no active US 41 squads, they will all be converted to US 42. Is this correct?
moore4807

RE: Upgrading squads

Post by moore4807 »

I think its determined if your preferences at the beginning of the game were set to auto convert/upgrade units or not. If not, you will have am impressive pool of obsolete units [:D]
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Chris H

Now what happens to the pool of the old squads. Currently I'm in the process of upgrading to US 42 squads. The current pool for the old US 41 is 462. I'm assuming that at sometime in the future, when there are no active US 41 squads, they will all be converted to US 42. Is this correct?

Changed in the Jan. 2012 patch:

"40. After 6 months, an expired pooled device (squad or engineer type) will slowly convert to the upgraded version; if Japan, obsolete devices will revert to the raw materials."
The Moose
Symon

Post by Symon »

Some people seem to think that carrying half the bombs equates to twice the range. This is not so. It is a power law relationship. Range equates (complexly) to fuel and speed, not necessarily weight. The bomb tonnage (aircraft weight) is a second order effect, so long as max take-off weight is not exceeded and the runway is long enough. Range is a power law function of speed and a (kinda/sorta) direct function of fuel – all other things being equal.

But enough of theory, let’s take a look at mistress Sally (to come). There’s two ways the bomb carrying characteristics of planes were established: space limited, and performance limited.

Space limited meant that the bays were configured for a certain set of armaments and there just wasn’t any way to squeeze in any more without reconfiguring the whole of the bay structure.

Performance limited meant that there was space, but that the hard limit was max take-off weight, so fuel had to be taken down to compensate.

Japanese planes were built to the ‘space limit’ standard. Their bays could hold a certain set of loadouts, and that was it. They spend their budget on fuel so that they could be either “fast or far”. It’s all in the math, and it’s not hard to figure. And it’s tactically appropriate in 1939, but Japan missed the conceptual boat.
Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: Symon

Some people seem to think that carrying half the bombs equates to twice the range. This is not so. It is a power law relationship. Range equates (complexly) to fuel and speed, not necessarily weight. The bomb tonnage (aircraft weight) is a second order effect, so long as max take-off weight is not exceeded and the runway is long enough. Range is a power law function of speed and a (kinda/sorta) direct function of fuel – all other things being equal.

But enough of theory, let’s take a look at mistress Sally (to come). There’s two ways the bomb carrying characteristics of planes were established: space limited, and performance limited.

Space limited meant that the bays were configured for a certain set of armaments and there just wasn’t any way to squeeze in any more without reconfiguring the whole of the bay structure.

Performance limited meant that there was space, but that the hard limit was max take-off weight, so fuel had to be taken down to compensate.

Japanese planes were built to the ‘space limit’ standard. Their bays could hold a certain set of loadouts, and that was it. They spend their budget on fuel so that they could be either “fast or far”. It’s all in the math, and it’s not hard to figure. And it’s tactically appropriate in 1939, but Japan missed the conceptual boat.

I know you meant this for the other thread on Japanese bombers..[;)]
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

ORIGINAL: Chris H

Changed in the Jan. 2012 patch:

"40. After 6 months, an expired pooled device (squad or engineer type) will slowly convert to the upgraded version; if Japan, obsolete devices will revert to the raw materials."

Thought I'd seen that somewhere. Thanks

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”