No Blitzkrieg in WW1!

Commander - The Great War is the latest release in the popular and playable Commander series of historical strategy games. Gamers will enjoy a huge hex based campaign map that stretches from the USA in the west, Africa and Arabia to the south, Scandinavia to the north and the Urals to the east on a new engine that is more efficient and fully supports widescreen resolutions.
Commander – The Great War features a Grand Campaign covering the whole of World War I from the invasion of Belgium on August 5, 1914 to the Armistice on the 11th of November 1918 in addition to 16 different unit types including Infantry, Cavalry, Armoured Cars and Tanks, Artillery, Railroad Guns and Armoured Trains and more!

Moderators: Lord Zimoa, MOD_Commander_The_Great_War

henri51

No Blitzkrieg in WW1!

Post by henri51 »

Reading many of the frustrated comments about the difficulty of the game, although I am not much advanced in my own game, I have watched most AAR videos, and part of the problem may be how much wargamers are influenced by WW2 games, where Blitzkrieg is the order of the day.

Except for the very early German offensive on Belgium, trying for a fast breakthrough Blitzkrieg style with this game is a recipe for disaster, just as it was in WW1. The historical situation of WW1 was that although the ideologies favored offense, the technology for defense was much more advanced, which explains that just about every offensive in the early war ended in disaster with horrendous losses.In addition, NO ONE had the slightest idea what they were doing, which only compounded the problems.

More than in most games, defense, preparation, supply and technology are key elements. Slitherine claims that the AI does not cheat, so good luck...

Henri
histgamer

RE: No Blitzkrieg in WW1!

Post by histgamer »

The biggest complaint I have is how effective Russian units are on the attack. They seem about in line with the other units on defensive, but they seem to get way better results attacking entrenched enemies than anyone else and obviously with the huge stockpile of units and men they have that makes them far deadlier than anyone else imho.
bob.

Post by bob. »

Nope, they're as good as anyone else. In fact, all nations' troops are 100 % equal. The only difference is tech level and generals, obviously.
Historion

Post by Historion »

BRUSILOV increases assault by 3.
ILCK

Post by ILCK »

It looks like the AI is usually better on the attack than I am....but I suspect a lot of that is how new at the game I am so I am trying to figure out what it does to make it get so many -3, -4 type results while I struggle along with a lot of -1 type results.
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

ORIGINAL: ILCK

It looks like the AI is usually better on the attack than I am....but I suspect a lot of that is how new at the game I am so I am trying to figure out what it does to make it get so many -3, -4 type results while I struggle along with a lot of -1 type results.

Tip : I can't stress this enough,in order to inflict the maximum amount of damage to the enemy units,while at the same time,taking the least amount of damage in return,this sequence of using your forces will reap big dividends.Attack in this order,Air,Artillery,Infantry,Garrison,Cavalry.Use Cavalry last because they have a pursuit advantage.
Make it so!
ILCK

Post by ILCK »

ORIGINAL: kirk23

Tip : I can't stress this enough,in order to inflict the maximum amount of damage to the enemy units,while at the same time,taking the least amount of damage in return,this sequence of using your forces will reap big dividends.Attack in this order,Air,Artillery,Infantry,Garrison,Cavalry.Use Cavalry last because they have a pursuit advantage.

I think air is what I was missing too often. Those -0 attacks by fighters still do disruption it looks like.
Owllord

Post by Owllord »

I've never really used fighters to cause (ground) damage anyhow - I figured that disruption was actually their intended usage. Fighting bombers is of course another matter.
The artist known as Owl
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

ORIGINAL: Owllord

I've never really used fighters to cause (ground) damage anyhow - I figured that disruption was actually their intended usage. Fighting bombers is of course another matter.

Yes early war Fighters are little more than Recon units,their ability to cause disruption,is a good benefit when assisting any ground attacks,they soften them up a little,then if you have any nearby Artillery handy,they again cause more disruption,which softens up the target unit some more,then its time to use your Infantry,Garrison,and finish them off with the Calvary simples!!![:D]
Make it so!
OldJoe

Post by OldJoe »

ORIGINAL: kirk23

I think OP is referring to the -7 hit by Russian artillery. Meanwhile, I have never scored an artillery hit above 2. On either dug in, or not dug in, units. Russian infantry attacking Garrison units always score a bigger hit than my infantry attacks against enemy Garrison units. Just saying.
OldJoe

Post by OldJoe »

ORIGINAL: henri51

Reading many of the frustrated comments about the difficulty of the game, although I am not much advanced in my own game, I have watched most AAR videos, and part of the problem may be how much wargamers are influenced by WW2 games, where Blitzkrieg is the order of the day.

Except for the very early German offensive on Belgium, trying for a fast breakthrough Blitzkrieg style with this game is a recipe for disaster, just as it was in WW1. The historical situation of WW1 was that although the ideologies favored offense, the technology for defense was much more advanced, which explains that just about every offensive in the early war ended in disaster with horrendous losses.In addition, NO ONE had the slightest idea what they were doing, which only compounded the problems.

More than in most games, defense, preparation, supply and technology are key elements. Slitherine claims that the AI does not cheat, so good luck...

Henri

Then I wonder how the enemy knows exactly where my ships are, especially if vulnerable. Every time I try to send a lone cruiser or battle ship somewhere as soon as it is out of port range and far enough from other ships to come to rescue the enemy swoops in with a full fleet of cruisers and battleships and takes the lone guy out. (Not talking about submarines, those seem to stay significantly hidden.)

Just seems like too much of a coincidence that I happen to always sail into that enemy fleet's patrol path.

Every time it goes like this. Okay, I don't see any enemy ships anywhere in the near vicinity. I will just send this ship on this path that is furthest away from enemy coastline and ports. *BOOM* Wow, where did that fleet of multiple battleships and cruisers come from?

Makes one wonder about the "not cheating" claim.
operating

Post by operating »

Got news for ya, THE AI CHEATS, otherwise, it would be a cake walk. [:)]
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
OldJoe

Post by OldJoe »

ORIGINAL: operating

I have no doubt that AIs cheat. Just wish people would quit trying to make the claim it doesn't when it is obvious when it does.

It was just the claim I was responding to. I understand it has to do some cheating in order to be competitive.
operating

Post by operating »

ORIGINAL: OldJoe
ORIGINAL: operating

I have no doubt that AIs cheat. Just wish people would quit trying to make the claim it doesn't when it is obvious when it does.

It was just the claim I was responding to. I understand it has to do some cheating in order to be competitive.
I'll say this: You cannot cheat in MP like versus the AI. Can't say I have seen a "comment" that the game itself does not cheat, however, "tongue in cheek", many games do cheat.
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
OldJoe

Post by OldJoe »

ORIGINAL: henri51

Slitherine claims that the AI does not cheat, so good luck...

Henri

The claim was right there in the OP's post.

Return to “Commander - The Great War”