Puzzling uppkeep costs

Commander - The Great War is the latest release in the popular and playable Commander series of historical strategy games. Gamers will enjoy a huge hex based campaign map that stretches from the USA in the west, Africa and Arabia to the south, Scandinavia to the north and the Urals to the east on a new engine that is more efficient and fully supports widescreen resolutions.
Commander – The Great War features a Grand Campaign covering the whole of World War I from the invasion of Belgium on August 5, 1914 to the Armistice on the 11th of November 1918 in addition to 16 different unit types including Infantry, Cavalry, Armoured Cars and Tanks, Artillery, Railroad Guns and Armoured Trains and more!

Moderators: Lord Zimoa, MOD_Commander_The_Great_War

BootyJoe

Puzzling uppkeep costs

Post by BootyJoe »

Lovely game - a real little gem. My first game was as Entente vs normal AI CP. Got an Ultimate victory on turn 71. Now trying out CP and it's a whole diffrent story...

The high upkeep cost totally cripple Germany and puzzle me, its late 1915 and Austria pay 6 per turn for upkeep while Germany pays 45(!). Austria has almost as many troops as Germany. How come Germany pay more than seven times the cost compared to Aus when thay have almost as many troops? :?:
kirk23

RE: Puzzling uppkeep costs

Post by kirk23 »

ORIGINAL: BootyJoe

Lovely game - a real little gem. My first game was as Entente vs normal AI CP. Got an Ultimate victory on turn 71. Now trying out CP and it's a whole diffrent story...

The high upkeep cost totally cripple Germany and puzzle me, its late 1915 and Austria pay 6 per turn for upkeep while Germany pays 45(!). Austria has almost as many troops as Germany. How come Germany pay more than seven times the cost compared to Aus when thay have almost as many troops? :?:

Hi,

There has been a long standing query regarding Free Upkeep Allowance,I hope the following explanation will clear up a few things.

FREE UPKEEP ALLOWANCE!

The free upkeep thing is not a bug,the free upkeep allowance was increased so that large countries like Germany & Russia could build enough land forces to protect their borders on 2 or 3 fronts at once.But since folks like to see maintenance cost's in the management screen,I have altered the settings for the up and coming patch after the release of IPad & Steam.Free Upkeep Allowance is now 10 for all Countries,but since this is an advantage for smaller Nations,with less border area to protect,larger Nations like Germany,Austria,Turkey,France,Britain & Russia have been given more Manpower & Production points to compensate for the reduced Free Upkeep.

Make it so!
BootyJoe

Post by BootyJoe »

Thanks for Quick reply. If I understand you correctly Germany will be economically more powerful post next patch?
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

ORIGINAL: BootyJoe

Thanks for Quick reply. If I understand you correctly Germany will be economically more powerful post next patch?

Correct the new game play patch I'm busy with at the moment,will see a big improvement to the game.

See screen shot for the Entente,figures shown are not the finished stats,much more testing is in progress.[;)]

Attachments
EntenteMa..tscreen.jpg
EntenteMa..tscreen.jpg (201.4 KiB) Viewed 191 times
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Management screen shot for the Central Powers.

Attachments
CentralPo..tscreen.jpg
CentralPo..tscreen.jpg (194.2 KiB) Viewed 191 times
Make it so!
BootyJoe

Post by BootyJoe »

Thats a nicer cash flow for Germany - right now my net swing is +11 per turn compared to +43 in your screenshot.
Keep up the good work! I am really looking forward playing with that patch - If I fail now as CP I will try again after patch.
toddtreadway

Post by toddtreadway »

In the current version of the game on Steam, any idea how much free upkeep is given to the powers? Seems like Austria has a much higher allowance than Germany.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

if you don't like the allowance, make your own and mod it[8|][X(]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

ORIGINAL: toddtreadway

In the current version of the game on Steam, any idea how much free upkeep is given to the powers? Seems like Austria has a much higher allowance than Germany.

Hi toddtreadway, for the new game play patch 1.6.0? I'm working on at the moment,the free upkeep allowance is set to zero,that's right nothing.(NO FREEBIES)From now on,each and every unit that is on the map,will cost your Country upkeep.[;)]

As per the screen shot,there is no more free upkeep allowance!

Attachments
No more fr..lowance..jpg
No more fr..lowance..jpg (413.26 KiB) Viewed 191 times
Make it so!
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

for me a few scale issues are stopping the game / sim from being a all time classic, getting these thing right would alter a lot for me and maybe others,

first artillery doesn't seem right for the scale of the conflict, instead of the odd unit for me all infantry units of a set size should have them embedded into them, instead of independent ones.

i feel the scale of gun and bombardment doesn't really come into the game, you don't get the mass gun effect of the time or loose the scale somewhat with only the odd artillery unit shown or firing, i'd like more or less ie integrate them, if an army unit is a corp size etc, then add arty to it or bigger etc what ever the scale is etc, if it small don't, then you more than increase the guns on the battlefield / map without the clutter of too many extra icons on it...

not being able to make your own trenches etc

Resources being lower than needed most of the time for you only, Germany wasn't the king of production to this much degree....

the choice of shell types to fire in any fight or be dropped by plane etc

some countries seem to be way better with a lot less of everything, while bigger ones seem to be more handicapped than maybe they should be for the time...

some combat odds seem way off from the predicted ones...

i could go on, but as the game / sims develops most if not all will be changed im sure anyway, but enjoying it so far...

have only played for a few hours but like what i see so far, and only played the allies as germany seem far to strong early on to be a serious choice for a beginner like me[8|]

oh and no i haven't read the manual yet so forgive me if im wrong above about everything as it won't be the first or last time either tbh[:D][;)]

p.s, i'd also so like the ability to remove same games from inside the game, instead of having to manually delete them from the save game folder on the pc, no big deal tbh but when you mod as you already know, you make a few save games so my folder has more than a few in it[8|]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
AEWHistory

Post by AEWHistory »

in Re: to the artillery I would try to think abstract. I view each regular inf unit as a corps. As such, one can assume that each corps has organic support forces that give it it's combat value. OTOH, the artillery units I would view as larger, purer, more concentrated artillery units. So I don't think the game is conceptualizing art as only being available to one, two, or three areas/units. Instead the game is making the argument that a given nation could only concentrate a potentially decisive amt of artillery in a limited fashion. This is actually very accurate, especially for the First World War.

I get some of your other points, but I think you're missing that the game does these things either in an abstract fashion or tangentially. Take trenches: the game does allow you to build them by positioning your units and letting them dig in. In fact, I would argue that the game is very generous. The reality was that those trenches took a huge amt of resources to maintain in wood, metal, and so on. It was not uncommon for there to be weak areas--there is some good material on the French defenses around Verdun having been neglected despite the French sitting in that vicinity for many months (over 15 if memory serves). I think you're also referring to being able to build and keep trenches that aren't occupied, but the above point answers that problem. It was difficult enough to maintain hundreds of miles of trenches, interconnecting, interlocking and many lines deep without adding into the equation maintaining unused trenches in less important areas.

About combat odds, I'd like to ask about this as well. I THINK the combat predictor is meant to be an estimate of how your generals think they will do and sometimes they are wrong, but I admit that sometimes it is frustrating.

I don't know if that helps, but this is my two cents...

ORIGINAL: zakblood

for me a few scale issues are stopping the game / sim from being a all time classic, getting these thing right would alter a lot for me and maybe others,

first artillery doesn't seem right for the scale of the conflict, instead of the odd unit for me all infantry units of a set size should have them embedded into them, instead of independent ones.

i feel the scale of gun and bombardment doesn't really come into the game, you don't get the mass gun effect of the time or loose the scale somewhat with only the odd artillery unit shown or firing, i'd like more or less ie integrate them, if an army unit is a corp size etc, then add arty to it or bigger etc what ever the scale is etc, if it small don't, then you more than increase the guns on the battlefield / map without the clutter of too many extra icons on it...

not being able to make your own trenches etc

Resources being lower than needed most of the time for you only, Germany wasn't the king of production to this much degree....

the choice of shell types to fire in any fight or be dropped by plane etc

some countries seem to be way better with a lot less of everything, while bigger ones seem to be more handicapped than maybe they should be for the time...

some combat odds seem way off from the predicted ones...

i could go on, but as the game / sims develops most if not all will be changed im sure anyway, but enjoying it so far...

have only played for a few hours but like what i see so far, and only played the allies as germany seem far to strong early on to be a serious choice for a beginner like me[8|]

oh and no i haven't read the manual yet so forgive me if im wrong above about everything as it won't be the first or last time either tbh[:D][;)]

p.s, i'd also so like the ability to remove same games from inside the game, instead of having to manually delete them from the save game folder on the pc, no big deal tbh but when you mod as you already know, you make a few save games so my folder has more than a few in it[8|]

Return to “Commander - The Great War”