Oshawott (Russia) vs. Stef78 (Axis)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Oshawott

T87 - North

Post by Oshawott »

T87 - North

Pskov taken. Combat was surprisingly tight. Bomber losses are extreme in this sector.

Attachments
T87 North.jpg
T87 North.jpg (982.27 KiB) Viewed 90 times
Oshawott

T87 - South

Post by Oshawott »

T87 - South

Mama mia! From this point on Stef is using the Italians to trigger reserve activations. Before he used the Romanians for this purpose but they are just too weak and numerous divisions have been shattered during the last couple of weeks.

Mussolini is not happy to see his troops used as cannon fodder. [:D]

Attachments
T87South.jpg
T87South.jpg (962.72 KiB) Viewed 90 times
Oshawott

T88 - South

Post by Oshawott »

T88 - South

Things are really heating up in the south. I am transferring more armor into this sector.

Attachments
T88South.jpg
T88South.jpg (521.97 KiB) Viewed 90 times
Oshawott

T88 - OOB

Post by Oshawott »

T88 - OOB

OOB and losses. German army is recovering slowly. I'm still below 9 million. Massive TOE changes are underway especially for Cavalry Corps.

Attachments
T88OOB.jpg
T88OOB.jpg (155.2 KiB) Viewed 90 times
loki100

RE: T88 - South

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: Oshawott

T88 - South

Things are really heating up in the south. I am transferring more armor into this sector.

Looks like you have pretty much trashed the Rumanian and Italian forces, presume it means you have a good chance to take out Rumania now fairly early in the spring/summer of 1943?
Oshawott

RE: T88 - South

Post by Oshawott »

Looks like you have pretty much trashed the Rumanian and Italian forces, presume it means you have a good chance to take out Rumania now fairly early in the spring/summer of 1943?

Blizzard of 44 is more realistic. This is not a cakewalk for the Russians. The Germans get massive reinforcements early 43 for the Kursk offensive. His best units are in the south including Das Reich, LAH, and Totenkopf Panzergrenadier Divisions.

It is true that the Romanians are finished for some time now. Numbers don't lie. They are about 200.000 men below what they would be if you just kept them in the rear. The Italians are gone in the summer anyway. They bought him enough time to rebuild his line before mud.
Oshawott

T89 - South

Post by Oshawott »

T89 - South

He is funneling lots of reinforcements into this sector. He makes a strong effort to hold Nikolaev and the Yuznhy Bug. Lots of reserve activations during this turn. I try to dispose of an Italian division with hasty attacks and my cavalry corps gets repelled three times. It ends up with 3 CV. [:D]

Attachments
T89South.jpg
T89South.jpg (931.01 KiB) Viewed 90 times
Oshawott

T89 - Overview

Post by Oshawott »

T89 - Overview

An overview of the front and my main axes of attack.

Attachments
T89Overview.jpg
T89Overview.jpg (1.17 MiB) Viewed 90 times
Wuffer

RE: T89 - Overview

Post by Wuffer »

will the eiffel tower get a fancy red star, too?
no d-day.
too late.

perhaps the Allies would stop land lease now.
STEF78

Post by STEF78 »

ORIGINAL: Wuffer

will the eiffel tower get a fancy red star, too?
no d-day.
too late.

perhaps the Allies would stop land lease now.
It would be a pity to see the red star on the Eiffel Tower!!!

The last time we saw the russians in Paris was 1814 and the only gift they gave us was the word "bistro" which means quick in russian.

And we translated it in "bar" something like a pub in English [;)]

GHC 9-0-3
SHC 10-0-4
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

Bistro is a russian word? I had no idea, lol. I guess that's better than calling them rapide.
WitE Alpha Tester
Oshawott

Post by Oshawott »

Bistro is a russian word? I had no idea, lol. I guess that's better than calling them rapide.

Me neither.
Some say that it may derive from the Russian bystro (быстро), "quickly".
Oshawott

T90 - North

Post by Oshawott »

T90 - North

I'm not going for Vyborg right away in this game. My goal is to capture a Finnish town as soon as possible and to envelope the Finnish army.

Attachments
T90North.jpg
T90North.jpg (310.39 KiB) Viewed 91 times
Oshawott

RE: T90 - South

Post by Oshawott »

T90 - South

Continued assault in the south. Crossing the Yuzhny Bug would be very nice. I would also like to capture Nikolaev.

Attachments
T90South.jpg
T90South.jpg (575.47 KiB) Viewed 91 times
Oshawott

T91 - North

Post by Oshawott »

T91 - North

I continue to push north bypassing Vyborg. Imatra is the goal of this thrust.

Attachments
T91North.jpg
T91North.jpg (466.58 KiB) Viewed 91 times
Oshawott

T91 - South

Post by Oshawott »

T91 - South

He continues to use the Italians as first line defenders. I continue to clear the east bank of the Yuzhny Bug.

Attachments
T91South.jpg
T91South.jpg (889.7 KiB) Viewed 91 times
timmyab

RE: T91 - South

Post by timmyab »

I bet your guys in Odessa are excited. They can probably hear the sound of the guns already.
I've been wondering lately if your tank armies aren't in the wrong place? Even if the line in the South is blown open it would surely be too risky to send the tank armies through the gap? At this stage of the war they might be better deployed somewhere that they can exploit into good defensive terrain. An example, as there's a map, would be Finland. The Finns might have surrendered by now if the tanks were up there. Just me thinking out loud (probably rubbish)
STEF78

Post by STEF78 »

The guys in Odessa tried several time to escape but were badly beaten.

Oshawott won't need his tanks in Finland. The finns surrendered early may 1943 but he could have been more aggressive end of january/ first part of february in the Lower Dniepr. He was really stronger than me.
GHC 9-0-3
SHC 10-0-4
Oshawott

Post by Oshawott »

I bet your guys in Odessa are excited. They can probably hear the sound of the guns already.
I've been wondering lately if your tank armies aren't in the wrong place? Even if the line in the South is blown open it would surely be too risky to send the tank armies through the gap? At this stage of the war they might be better deployed somewhere that they can exploit into good defensive terrain. An example, as there's a map, would be Finland. The Finns might have surrendered by now if the tanks were up there. Just me thinking out loud (probably rubbish)

This is a very good idea. Moving some of the tanks north would finish the Fins in a couple of turns. Then I could use the freed up units and the tanks to drive to the Gulf of Riga to cut off the Baltic. Then push into East Prussia.

Using the armor south has a couple of advantages. My main goal was and is to build up morale and experience and create a high quality 9 million men army. The south is excellent for that. Good terrain, lots of Axis Allies. Then there is the surrender of Romania that is looming and the chaos it causes. Of course he has moved his best units south now and at this point it's a battle of attrition. I think 43 is too early for major encirclement operations. You can see in this game that any bulge that is forming is sooner or later vacated. Blizzard 43/44 will probably be the real turning point in this game.
Oshawott

Post by Oshawott »

The guys in Odessa tried several time to escape but were badly beaten.

Yes, without a leader these guys are just a horde of drunken soldiers. Did you actually parachute Vodka into the city? [:D]

Return to “After Action Reports”