ship repair anomaly

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

TAIL_GUNNER

ship repair anomaly

Post by TAIL_GUNNER »

Couple of busted up subs in Truk Harbor...notice the I-15 says it only needs one day to fix 35 Major Float damage (also note no '#' symbol to denote it cannot be repaired). It's been sitting at that status for the last 3-4 turns..

I've got an ARD and AR in the harbor.

Latest beta patch.

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (92.68 KiB) Viewed 44 times
AKA "Juggalo"
Bullwinkle58

RE: ship repair anomaly

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: TAIL_GUNNER

Couple of busted up subs in Truk Harbor...notice the I-15 says it only needs one day to fix 35 Major Float damage (also note no '#' symbol to denote it cannot be repaired). It's been sitting at that status for the last 3-4 turns..

I've got an ARD and AR in the harbor.

Latest beta patch.

I'm guessing that I-4 is physically in the ARD, which can only take one vessel at a time. The 1-day is an artifact of the code for ARDs I think. If any of the 35 float is minor float damage put I-15 at pierside and chew on that while I-4 finishes up.
The Moose
Trugrit

Post by Trugrit »

I think you may be looking at a refit/upgrade.

Sometimes when you take a damaged ship into repair it will upgrade if you have the upgrade set to “Yes”.
The repairs and upgrade are done at the same time.

The I-15 is scheduled upgrade sometime in 1944.

You can check it like this: Hover your mouse over the I-15 and you will get a Fly-out.
If the Fly-out says refitting repairs, that’s what is happening. The Fly-out will also give you the days required. The ship will sit there and you won’t be able to do anything with it until the refit/upgrade is finished.
"A man's got to know his limitations" -Dirty Harry
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Trugrit

I think you may be looking at a refit/upgrade.

Sometimes when you take a damaged ship into repair it will upgrade if you have the upgrade set to “Yes”.
The repairs and upgrade are done at the same time.

The I-15 is scheduled upgrade sometime in 1944.

You can check it like this: Hover your mouse over the I-15 and you will get a Fly-out.
If the Fly-out says refitting repairs, that’s what is happening. The Fly-out will also give you the days required. The ship will sit there and you won’t be able to do anything with it until the refit/upgrade is finished.

It's not an upgrade. I-4 and I-16 upgrade in 5/44 and 8/44. Each upgrade needs a size 10 yard, causes 5 System damage and no Float damage.

ARDs are funny cats because the game reports them as Repair Ships, but they operate differently than ARs. If I-4 is in the ARD, as I suspect, the 18 days will only see the Float damage repaired. ARDs can't fix System damage.

See tm.asp?m=2990845&mpage=1&key=ship%2Crepair for a full rendition on Ship Repair.
The Moose
Trugrit

Post by Trugrit »

Bullwinkle,

Yes, I think you are right.
Thanks for the info.

I misread the OP. I thought his sub was locked up.
It should not be locked up by an ARD. True?

He should still be able to change to readiness and back again to repair ship?
Will the Fly-out give the days?

"A man's got to know his limitations" -Dirty Harry
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Trugrit

Bullwinkle,

Yes, I think you are right.
Thanks for the info.

I misread the OP. I thought his sub was locked up.
It should not be locked up by an ARD. True?

He should still be able to change to readiness and back again to repair ship?
Will the Fly-out give the days?
Off the top of my head I don't know any upgrades that don't do any System damage, so one should not initiate in an ARD. And, as I said above, both upgrades here require a Yard of size 10, at least in stock scenarios I checked. His concern was the 1 day notation. The game never gives zero days duration for repairs, so the one day is, to me, a placeholder. When the ARD is free I-15's days should adjust to actual days.

Of course, it's been real-time years since I had any ARDs to play with, so this is all from memory.
The Moose
btd64

Post by btd64 »

In the past when I have used an ARD the repair time would look like this; #15 and be red. The number will go down dispite the #. GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: General Patton

In the past when I have used an ARD the repair time would look like this; #15 and be red. The number will go down dispite the #. GP

But did it have system or engine damage? You can't tell from one screen shot which one is in the ARD. Also don't know if the makeup of the 35 float between major and minor. More info would help.

Edit: another way to check is to make a Support TF of the AR and move it a hex away for a turn. See what the report does.
The Moose
TAIL_GUNNER

Post by TAIL_GUNNER »

Here's what it looks like when I just have the I-15 assigned to the ARD....normal looking....

Could be some sort of display malfunction when an AR and ARD are both assigned.

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (84.21 KiB) Viewed 44 times
AKA "Juggalo"
btd64

Post by btd64 »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58
ORIGINAL: General Patton

But did it have system or engine damage? You can't tell from one screen shot which one is in the ARD. Also don't know if the makeup of the 35 float between major and minor. More info would help.

Edit: another way to check is to make a Support TF of the AR and move it a hex away for a turn. See what the report does.

AHHH, The number i'm referring to is Flotation Damage. About a year ago, before I found the joy of PBEM, I had a Support TF with an ARD near Pago Pago and a BB that had been torp in the area of Pago Pago. I moved the ARD TF to Pago Pago and the Damaged BB to Pago Pago. Docked and disbanded the ARD TF. Then disbanded the BB TF. Put the BB into Repair Ship mod and the Flotation damage slowly went down. The other damage did as well, except the major sys and eng.
There could be an issue with having a ARD and a AR in the same hex, but the last time I had that occur, I still got the Flotation damage to reduce with the help of the ARD. I think it works fine. maybe it is damage that needs a little more Time.......
The game looks at things in its own way....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester

btd64

Post by btd64 »

Here's what it looks like when I just have the I-15 assigned to the ARD....normal looking....

The # symbol on the other sub means, I my experience, That there maybe an amount of major damage that will not repair without the help of a shipyard for example. Also I have noticed at PH when my BB's go to refit DURING the same time they are also repairing other damage, they will have a # symbol. When I click on them and then exit, the # disappears....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester

Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

OK, with this screenshot to go with the original the light bulb went on. You have fallen into a code crack due to the highly unlikely nature of your damage (35 major float and not a point of anything else) and the repair capabilities of an AR.

First, look at the screenshot above. This one is easy. 35 major float damage. You assign Repair Ship as the mode and since the ARD is present, empty, and can fix any and all float damage, I-15 goes in the ARD. 24 days from now it will come out, 100% repaired in all respects. No need for an # symbol since the ARD can do everything needed.

I-4 is in the harbor with only the crew working on damage. In 5 days they will have fixed everything they can, but they won't be able to fix the 13 float damage, hence the # symbol.

Second, look at the original screenshot in the first post. This is harder because you mix an AR with an ARD. Even though the game calls an ARD a "Repair Ship" it's really a shipyard, but only for floatation damage. It can't fix anything else.

The AR CAN fix major float damage, but ONLY IF IT IS 5 OR LESS. Neither sub is 5 or less.

So you order "Repair Ship" for both. The repair manager in the code sees both need the ARD. Here, it put I-4 in I believe. And here is also a second display quirk; I don't see any other way to explain the lack of a # symbol on I-4. Because the ARD and the AR are both "Repair Ship", even though they have vastly different capabilities, I believe the 18 days reflects the plan to fix the float in the ARD, then eject I-4 (behind the scenes) out of the ARD and finish the System and Engine with the AR. IOW, combined the two ships can fix everything, but because they're both Repair Ships in mode terms you don't have to hand-move them.

OK. I-15 is trickier. She has only major float and as above, the AR can't do anything since it's over 5. Yet you ordered Repair Ship mode. But, the ARD is already stuffed full of I-4 and can only take one customer at a time. So, the display is trying to satisfy the requirements you ordered when it can't do them. Hence the "1 day" read-out, which is deceptive. In reality that number should be "infinity" or "never." Under these snapshot conditions I-15 will never be repaired. Not until the ARD is free. Without adding a new symbol to the report--a dash or something--the "1" stands in for "never."

So why isn't there a # symbol next to the "1"? I think that could be a bug, or at least a highly-rare design feature. Since the code never gets to a calculation of actual repair time because the ARD is busy, it probably never executes the tests needed to determine if a # symbol is warranted. Yes, it would be useful, as it would alert that the "1" is really untrue. OTOH, any player who has more than a week's experience with the game knows that nothing repairs 35 points in a day. But as I said above, these starting conditions are incredibly rare. If I-15 had even one point of System damage and also needed the ARD I believe the display would show an #. It's very, very hard to get 35 major float and not a point of anything else. But you did.

That's the best I can do on an explanation. Michael could of course throw cold water on it. In 18 days you should have an answer as well. I-15 at that point should go in the ARD and the "1" should re-calculate to the actual repair duration to fix the 35 major float.
The Moose
TAIL_GUNNER

Post by TAIL_GUNNER »

To be honest the I-15 has been there awhile....I'm positive it had other damage that has already been repaired by the port and naval squads.

Thanks for the replies....must soon deal with this poor mess limping back to Truk:

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (89 KiB) Viewed 44 times
AKA "Juggalo"

Return to “Tech Support”