Net play

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

bo

Net play

Post by bo »

I do hope I can express myself correctly when I pose a few questions. I am concerned about net play, is it doable is it a good way to play, is it better than an AI etc.

Every poster here knows I am an advocate of the AI 110%, have never backed down from that and never will, am I beating a dead horse, sure but I will not give up my convictions. It has always been I WANT TO PLAY WHEN I WANT TO PLAY not wait for someone else to have the time to play, end of that story.

I posed a question on the beta forums about net play, now either everyone is on vacation [&o]or they are tired listening to the ogre or bad boy of the beta team, whatever.

My question is, is there any Matrix computer war game played with Nato counters using net play at this time, if so which game. My concern is can Net play be made to work on such a complicated game as MWIF. I know nothing of programming which should be obvious to everyone, I know nothing of logistics, do not know how Matrix or Slitherine would bring this to a computer.

There are many good enlightened posters on these posts, in your opinions is this game with all it's rules doable on a computer with net play?

Believe it or not I hope it can be done to everyone's satisfaction, I am not against net play as I have enjoyed many hours of playing COD2 on line instead of playing the AI, there is nothing like human competition, nothing.

Of course MWIF and COD2 are vastly different ways of playing a game. I am assuming that COD2 is a form of net play but that's just guessing.

Of course Steve must conquer the remaining problems that exist with MWIF before any game form can be attempted whether it be net play or the AI or even PBEM.

Bo

warspite1

RE: Net play

Post by warspite1 »

I am not ignoring you bo - I simply have no idea [&:]

Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

ORIGINAL: bo

There are many good enlightened posters on these posts, in your opinions is this game with all it's rules doable on a computer with net play?
IMO, definitely yes. There are hundreds of games that allow players to play interactively online. I can recall playing Tiger Woods golf online with 3 buddies in 2006. So the ability to have multiple PCs interact and intercommunicate via the internet has been there for a long time. Another example is Vassal. Many folks here have played Vassal WiFFE with one or more other players and observed the coordination of moves and die rolls.

That leaves the question: "Is there something about MWiF that is too complex or too unwieldy to allow NetPlay?"

I don't believe there is. It comes down to how well the synchronization of the moves is programmed. Clearly the starting point has to be a stable platform. If the starting point - the basic sequence of play in Solitaire or Hot-Seat is bug-ridden - then we really can't expect NetPlay to ever work properly - nor an AI, for that matter.

But in theory, given a minimum of bugs in the basic platform, it is simply a programming challenge.

Think of all the accomplishments that would never have occurred if everyone said: "Well, that's never been done before, it's obviously impossible."

But that's not even the issue. The fact is all the bits and pieces needed here have been done before, many times.
Paul
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

I am not ignoring you bo - I simply have no idea [&:]

Okay I accept your not avoiding me [:D], but let me ask the question again is there one game now that Matrix sells that has a net play option on it and if so which one?

Bo
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

IMO, definitely yes. There are hundreds of games that allow players to play interactively online. I can recall playing Tiger Woods golf online with 3 buddies in 2006. So the ability to have multiple PCs interact and intercommunicate via the internet has been there for a long time. Another example is Vassal. Many folks here have played Vassal WiFFE with one or more other players and observed the coordination of moves and die rolls.

That leaves the question: "Is there something about MWiF that is too complex or too unwieldy to allow NetPlay?"

I don't believe there is. It comes down to how well the synchronization of the moves is programmed. Clearly the starting point has to be a stable platform. If the starting point - the basic sequence of play in Solitaire or Hot-Seat is bug-ridden - then we really can't expect NetPlay to ever work properly - nor an AI, for that matter.

But in theory, given a minimum of bugs in the basic platform, it is simply a programming challenge.

Think of all the accomplishments that would never have occurred if everyone said: "Well, that's never been done before, it's obviously impossible."

But that's not even the issue. The fact is all the bits and pieces needed here have been done before, many times.

Paul we had a similar talk about this before and I understand that most bugs have to be resolved, I too have a golf game called links 2003 and can play players from all over the world. But that's not Matrix and slitherine doing MWIF, again I ask will someone point out one Matrix game that now uses net play and which one.

Personally I would like to hear from Steve or Eric on this one, or someone in slitherine or another poster who knows of such a game, this is not a trick question, I am not trying to stir anything up, I would just like a straight answer from someone with the knowledge of such an option in any Matrix game. Honestly I find it a very simple question.

Bo

paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

So then if they never attempted it because they've never done it before, then they shouldn't attempt it now? Thank goodness your view wasn't popular with the company that did Links 2003 when they contemplated doing it.

But Matrix (Slitherine, really) already had the server for NetPlay and if your memory was longer, you'd recall how many difficulties with NetPlay programming that solved on the beta side.

Erik Rutins replied previously to you which games were using the server. Conflict of Heroes and Lock 'n Load. In fact this question you keep asking has been answered previously on several occasions now, but you choose to wait awhile and ask it all over again.
Paul
bo

Post by bo »

So then if they never attempted it because they've never done it before, then they shouldn't attempt it now? Thank goodness your view wasn't popular with the company that did Links 2003 when they contemplated doing it.

But Matrix (Slitherine, really) already had the server for NetPlay and if your memory was longer, you'd recall how many difficulties with NetPlay programming that solved on the beta side.

Erik Rutins replied previously to you which games were using the server. Conflict of Heroes and Lock 'n Load. In fact this question you keep asking has been answered previously on several occasions now, but you choose to wait awhile and ask it all over again.

While we are waiting for net play I might just ask it again paul and if you don't like my questions please ignore me, thank you. I have never insulted you and I would like the same courtesy if that is possible with you.

Bo
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

What was insulting about my reply?

Edit: Or is it that you prefer me not to participate because you don't like my answers. Once you ask a question in a public forum, all parties actually do get to express their opinions.
Paul
bo

Post by bo »

I tried asking a simple question. Will net play work with MWIF. I was told that Erik told me that conflict of heroes used net play, do not remember that but not questioning that. This is a post by warhunter dated 3/13/2014 about net play with Conflict of Heroes no answer as of yet amazing. I just wanted someone to tell me that net play works with Matrix games so that when Steve solves all the bugs we can put it on net play MWIF so people can play this game.

Bo

Attachments
conflictofheroes.jpg
conflictofheroes.jpg (263.41 KiB) Viewed 101 times
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

A useful question here is: Are there people here who have played the TCP/IP mode (i.e. NetPlay) with either Conflict of Heroes or Lock 'n Load and have any comments about their experiences?
Paul
bo

Post by bo »

A useful question here is: Are there people here who have played the TCP/IP mode (i.e. NetPlay) with either Conflict of Heroes or Lock 'n Load and have any comments about their experiences?

I have no idea paul, good question I just happened to see warhunters post when I went over to see how net play worked with Conflict of Heroes I will look into that if possible, good lord someone should know right? I am not trying to bust a** I just wanted someone to tell me that net play works with Matrix games, after what Cad I went through for many hours a year ago, I was just hoping that it has been improved.

Bo
WarHunter

Post by WarHunter »

Yep yep.

I Remember the days when NETplay was a priority. When it was advertised as just over the horizon. Couple of bugs away from actual
player vs player gaming. Patience is all that is needed. Quiet peaceful patience.

Then it was changed to the game needs to be fixed. Too many bugs to allow Netplay. Again patience is the key. Quiet patience.

That's about where we stand now. Fixing the foundation of the game. With a little more patience we will be gaming fools.

Except for one little nagging problem.
There is no light being advertised at the end of the tunnel.

When is the last time anyone came here and informed the player base what is being worked on since the last patch was released.
What exactly is the next patch going to fix? Will that be a clue to when Netplay will be worked on.

Frankly if Netplay was being worked on someone would be crowing about it.

If it were not for Firmir and his brother. Contacting me and setting up a teamviewer game with Ventrilo. I would have drifted away from this lemon months ago. About the time I stopped working on the AAR.

The only game meant to be played solitaire is solitaire. You know. That deck with 52 cards.
MWiF needs to be judged barely playable in solitaire mode. So work can begin on the 2 elements everyone is waiting for.

NETPLAY
AI

Will Netplay work? hell if I know.
If the current project is any indication of how well it will work when judged fixed. Well, that picture is well established.

More patience will be required.
quiet
peaceful
timeless
patience

And pudding.

Sorry Bo
“We never felt like we were losing until we were actually dead.”
Marcus Luttrell
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: WarHunter

Yep yep.

I Remember the days when NETplay was a priority. When it was advertised as just over the horizon. Couple of bugs away from actual
player vs player gaming. Patience is all that is needed. Quiet peaceful patience.

Then it was changed to the game needs to be fixed. Too many bugs to allow Netplay. Again patience is the key. Quiet patience.

That's about where we stand now. Fixing the foundation of the game. With a little more patience we will be gaming fools.

Except for one little nagging problem.
There is no light being advertised at the end of the tunnel.

When is the last time anyone came here and informed the player base what is being worked on since the last patch was released.
What exactly is the next patch going to fix? Will that be a clue to when Netplay will be worked on.

Frankly if Netplay was being worked on someone would be crowing about it.

If it were not for Firmir and his brother. Contacting me and setting up a teamviewer game with Ventrilo. I would have drifted away from this lemon months ago. About the time I stopped working on the AAR.

The only game meant to be played solitaire is solitaire. You know. That deck with 52 cards.
MWiF needs to be judged barely playable in solitaire mode. So work can begin on the 2 elements everyone is waiting for.

NETPLAY
AI

Will Netplay work? hell if I know.
If the current project is any indication of how well it will work when judged fixed. Well, that picture is well established.

More patience will be required.
quiet
peaceful
timeless
patience

And pudding.

Sorry Bo

Hey your an honest person Warhunter you tell it like it is, I wish more posters would tell it like it is on these posts. We need to have a Pat's steak sandwich together I'm buying and that's rare [;)]

I posed the question about net play on Conflict of heroes and Lock and Load posts the other day, so far no answer but I know it's early yet, you posted in March 2014 and still no answer, If I was a negative person[:(] I might assume that no one is bother posting anymore on those 2 games or and a big or, netplay is not working with those 2 games, your choice my friend.

Bo
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

The order was clearly announced. Supply, Production, Naval moves & combat, then NetPlay. We are about half the way to starting the NetPlay work. More production fixes are coming next.

Why did the game get released Nov. 7 last year? I don't know, I just playtest here.

Ideally, nobody here would have been able to waste their time making terrain mods and unit mods. Ideally, nobody here would have had to waste their time learning the rules 'cuz they last played Version 4, 5 or 6. Ideally, nobody here who had not seen this game before would have wasted their time getting into it.

Life is just so imperfect. Luckily I'm too lazy to walk all the way to the nearest bridge that I can jump off.
Paul
WarHunter

Post by WarHunter »

The order was clearly announced. Supply, Production, Naval moves & combat, then NetPlay. We are about half the way to starting the NetPlay work. More production fixes are coming next.
Why did the game get released Nov. 7 last year? I don't know, I just playtest here.
Ideally, nobody here would have been able to waste their time making terrain mods and unit mods. Ideally, nobody here would have had to waste their time learning the rules 'cuz they last played Version 4, 5 or 6. Ideally, nobody here who had not seen this game before would have wasted their time getting into it.
Life is just so imperfect. Luckily I'm too lazy to walk all the way to the nearest bridge that I can jump off.

That clearly announced order was done sometime after the botched rollout of Nov7.
Maybe you can enlighten us as the exact date, clearly stated.

As far as wasting time is concerned. Does that go for anyone who posted in the mod forum?
Cuz, Yeah, that hurt. If that was your purpose.

I'll get over it though.
Sticks and stones.
“We never felt like we were losing until we were actually dead.”
Marcus Luttrell
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Ive played netplay many times with Conflict of Heroes and it worked flawlessly so I have no doubt that Steve and Matrix will deliver. Of course the interactions required within WiF leads to some very unique set of problems that will need to be overcome. In time. Ya know, the ole horse before the cart analogy comes to mind. I believe wholeheartedly it can and will come to fruition.

As a side note and request; maybe we could all just temper our responses a little bit. Seems so unnecessary.

Eric

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

Ive played netplay many times with Conflict of Heroes and it worked flawlessly so I have no doubt that Steve and Matrix will deliver. Of course the interactions required within WiF leads to some very unique set of problems that will need to be overcome. In time. Ya know, the ole horse before the cart analogy comes to mind. I believe wholeheartedly it can and will come to fruition.

As a side note and request; maybe we could all just temper our responses a little bit. Seems so unnecessary.

Eric

Hi Missouri how are you. That's all I wanted to hear that net play is working with conflict of heroes, thank you for that, when you have a chance please explain to me how it works what you see etc. If it works with Conflict of heroes why would there be a problem with MWIF, please not a loaded question I am hoping there will be very few problems with MWIF net play.

Bo
wworld7

Post by wworld7 »

Hi Missouri how are you. That's all I wanted to hear that net play is working with conflict of heroes, thank you for that, when you have a chance please explain to me how it works what you see etc. If it works with Conflict of heroes why would there be a problem with MWIF, please not a loaded question I am hoping there will be very few problems with MWIF net play.

Bo

Bo, I am actually finally alive after a 15 day bought with Bronchitis. I'm behind on some projects.
The point of this post is to tell you I still plan to answer your email, and adding in a SIMPLE description of Netplay shouldn't take to much of my time.
I have never played conflict of heroes stand alone or netplay. But I understand the mechanics of the interactions between software programs well enough to give you an idea.
Your lack of technical knowledge I will try to bridge.

For now try to understand this: Just because Netplay works on one game does NOT mean it will work on another. NOR, does it mean it won't. Each program is a separate entity, and requires additional coding (hence time for this, time for testing, etc...).
Flipper
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

I am well Bo. Spending the summer in the deep woods at the cabin and having a hell of a time.

As far as CoH is concerned, it's pretty standard fare Bo. When it is your turn you are prompted and you commence to doing your actions before passing. Im not saying there WILL be a problem with WiF, but that the exchanges are much more complicated than the straight forward actions required to navigate CoH. i.e. You use up your action points or pass. With WiF there are so many different phases that all take different levels of interaction between the players. Keeping all players informed during this process seems critical.

mo reb
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: flipperwasirish

Bo

Bo, I am actually finally alive after a 15 day bought with Bronchitis. I'm behind on some projects.
The point of this post is to tell you I still plan to answer your email, and adding in a SIMPLE description of Netplay shouldn't take to much of my time.
I have never played conflict of heroes stand alone or netplay. But I understand the mechanics of the interactions between software programs well enough to give you an idea.
Your lack of technical knowledge I will try to bridge.

For now try to understand this: Just because Netplay works on one game does NOT mean it will work on another. NOR, does it mean it won't. Each program is a separate entity, and requires additional coding (hence time for this, time for testing, etc...).

Wow 15 days is a long time Flipper please take care of yourself as far as my e-mail NP whenever you can, I have some more comments for you if you care to hear [:(] but I will wait until hear from you and thank you for your answer here.

Bo

Return to “World in Flames”