Ship Conversions

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

tocaff

Ship Conversions

Post by tocaff »

Has anybody ever compiled a list of what ships convert to what types? If so please point me to it as the search engine is less than helpful at times.
Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768
obvert

RE: Ship Conversions

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: tocaff

Has anybody ever compiled a list of what ships convert to what types? If so please point me to it as the search engine is less than helpful at times.

Are you looking for Japanese or for Allied ships?

For the Japanese the Mike Solli AAR has a good list in the first few pages. I haven't seen him around lately so it might be on AAR page 3 or 4 by now.

For the Allies I haven't seen a list.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

Tracker will supply that info.
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Do you use Tracker?
tocaff

Post by tocaff »

I used to use Tracker, but with the Java conflict I no longer utilize it.

I'm looking for Allied shipping.
Todd

bush

Post by bush »

Tracker has never worked for me either, and I am too tech-challenged to figure out a work around. This list for the allies would be great.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

What Java conflict?
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Well the guy who is the father of tracker, Floyd (witptracker@gmail.com) is incredibly helpful and will get you going on it. I really am amazed at how helpful that program is. You really need to give it another try... contact Floyd. Hal
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

If you are referring to the security hole in Java 6, this is the text of a helpful message sent me by a forumite. I want to say it was witpqs. I allows one to run Tracker and to also use the more secure, newer, Java versions.

"Having Your Cake And Eating It Too - Java Style

Here is what I did. Go to the Java 6 folder (actually the level just above it). Make a backup copy of the Java 6 folder in your C:\ folder (right-click 'copy' then go to C:\ and right-click 'paste'). Call it whatever its name already is plus add "-backup" to the end (select the folder and press 'F2' to edit the name). Now you have a copy in case something goes wrong.

Uninstall Java 6. That way the system will no longer point to it by default. The files will probably still be there (if not, that is why you made a backup copy a moment ago!).

Install Java 7 latest patch (IIRC that is patch 45 right now).

Why bother to uninstall 6 and install 7? Because anything other than tracker, which you personally trust, should not be allowed to take shots at your system through the known insecure Java 6. And if you have Java enabled in your browser, that allows any web page you visit to do just that.

Go to your batch file for Tracker, and edit it so that you include the whole path to the Java 6 executable. You see, Java 6 does not have to be officially installed on the PC for Tracker to use it. Works for me and many others on the forum!

Sample line from my own Tracker bat file:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -Xms384m -Xmx512m -jar "WitPTracker.jar" nomap

"
The Moose
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

And the key to making it run is the "no map" because if you leave it with the map it will take forever to load!
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

And the key to making it run is the "no map" because if you leave it with the map it will take forever to load!

I run it No Map, and I clean out the Alerts with the DB Maintenance tool in the pull-down toolbar, but even so after about 150 turns the load times become untenable for me. About ten minutes or more. Some players report playing the game with one Tracker into the late war years, but load times exceed an hour. I can't do that. Load times are personal preference I think.

When mine approach too long I start the Tracker load while I watch the movie, but even then it's often still not finished when I'm ready for Tracker. So I dump the DB and restart. Most of the data is maintained across the dump, but you do lose things like repair time series data for ships, and older intel. There are other ways to maintain full intel if desired though. (Intel Monkey (sp?))
The Moose
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Yes I agree Bullwinkle, it becomes way too long. I usually take the files and archive them and then zero them out to start again... not the best way, but one that I know how to do... Hal
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58
ORIGINAL: dr.hal

I run it No Map, and I clean out the Alerts with the DB Maintenance tool in the pull-down toolbar, but even so after about 150 turns the load times become untenable for me. About ten minutes or more. Some players report playing the game with one Tracker into the late war years, but load times exceed an hour. I can't do that. Load times are personal preference I think.

When mine approach too long I start the Tracker load while I watch the movie, but even then it's often still not finished when I'm ready for Tracker. So I dump the DB and restart. Most of the data is maintained across the dump, but you do lose things like repair time series data for ships, and older intel. There are other ways to maintain full intel if desired though. (Intel Monkey (sp?))

If you play Japan, the load times are less [;)].

Even still, it can get long. I've also noticed that it depends upon your CPU - better CPU, faster load. It takes about 5 minutes for my 225 Allied turns to load up, with map. Maybe I'll try without map next time. Also takes longer if I'm playing, say, Skyrim at the same time as Tracker is loading... if the only thing my CPU is doing aside from idle processes at the time is loading Tracker, it's much faster.
tocaff

Post by tocaff »

I checked and when I installed Java 7 it must've uninstalled 6. I have the jre7 file folder, only.
Todd

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”