Database Question

Commander - The Great War is the latest release in the popular and playable Commander series of historical strategy games. Gamers will enjoy a huge hex based campaign map that stretches from the USA in the west, Africa and Arabia to the south, Scandinavia to the north and the Urals to the east on a new engine that is more efficient and fully supports widescreen resolutions.
Commander – The Great War features a Grand Campaign covering the whole of World War I from the invasion of Belgium on August 5, 1914 to the Armistice on the 11th of November 1918 in addition to 16 different unit types including Infantry, Cavalry, Armoured Cars and Tanks, Artillery, Railroad Guns and Armoured Trains and more!

Moderators: Lord Zimoa, MOD_Commander_The_Great_War

histgamer

Database Question

Post by histgamer »

Is it easy to mod the database to change the political situation in the game? IE make certain nations that came to war be friendly at the start of the war and thus not go to war? Britain perhaps?
zakblood

RE: Database Question

Post by zakblood »

yes, but to do it you have to alter files that may or may end up crashing the game if you alter other stuff or do it wrong etc, for me i'd wait for a mod guide or editor to be released.

i have only played with it atm, i can edit or alter almost anything at will with really little knowledge, all you need is a certain file editor, check the file extensions and search for a editor which can alter only those type of files then edit at will.

so far dates, Manpower, ammo, pop and morale, and countries have been altered, but end dates etc for what if types, at a guess if you had a different map also that could be altered as well, but you would have to either have it the same size or alter the hex code details in each battle etc etc

then again what do i know, i'm only playing with the files atm so are learning myself[8|][X(][8D][;)][:D]

but not crashed it so far[X(]

but a back up is always wise before you edit anything just incase, and then only for single user play, MP is a no no [:-] and would either crash the game or be frowned upon as cheating[:-]

as you can see from the picture, i have increased Manpower and morale and of course production points as well for a boost for myself, but i could have also given myself all the weapon upgrades at start or some of them, more ammo factories or rail transport or anything like extra units if i wanted to.

to alter which country starts or doesn't start with you isn't as hard either as everything is scripted so can be altered at will, what you do will only alter what you change so you can make one side or country as strong or as weak as you like or take one out etc or add another, it's your game so make and alter what you want at will and mod it for your pleasure if you like it, alter too much and the whole game balance can be lost, but after playing your mod a few times or moves etc, you soon find out if you have changed too much or too little.

i like altering units or adding stuff on the map.

my first go at modding it was to make serbia stronger, then also did the same with belgium, and i told the story of why it was that way as, belgium was told in advance of the attack and made better preparations for it by asking for frances help, and serbia was also given help from russia before so also had a bit more of a boost, a small change to start off with, but a bit impact on the later war when it started.

no different tbh than knowing your history and sending troops before turkey attacks, yes it's cheating but as you already know history are you really just going to follow it or react to it?

its your game so your choice[;)]
Attachments
my way.jpg
my way.jpg (86.8 KiB) Viewed 113 times
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

and tbh, any game which is as open ended as this is ripe for modders, with a day under my belt only i could whip up a playable mod quite easily.

for me it's not just a game to replay history only, i love the what if type battles from any time period, this game engine gives me the chance to try some of my thoughts.

Russia doesn't leave the war because of the revolution and fights on.

Italy changes sides and also brings in a few others on the side of the Central Powers

Germany (1914 -1918)
Austria - Hungary (1914 - 1918)
Bulgaria (1915 - 1918) now 1914
Ottoman Turkey (1915 - 1918) now 1914
plus Italy and a few selected others

looking at history and france use of 50,000 chinese labourers etc, might also bring in China and Japan in a more active role & India etc, there are many options at the time as many countries declared war but never sent troops or active fought, now a modder could use them with little impact to true history or what if type ones if needed...

its a modders dream engine, and tbh i'm surprised by the few thats already been done, the game will be throng with them i'm sure over time, i never have the time for new projects, but might do some, as atm are in the process of a few for myself for the fun of it[&o]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Yes its fairly easy to mod,but always make a backup off your original database,because even a small error can cause a crash,and then you have to spend time,trying to find what you did that caused it,and believe me sometimes they are not easy to track down.

Big tip: Its better to do one or two minor changes,and then test these changes,to see that they don't cause any problems,before altering anything else,its not a race,take your time and enjoy the experience![:D]
Make it so!

Return to “Commander - The Great War”