Battlefield Clutter (Wrecks)

Please post your wish lists for future updates and releases here.

Moderator: MOD_Flashpoint

IronMikeGolf

Battlefield Clutter (Wrecks)

Post by IronMikeGolf »

This is a discussion about hexes filled with those lovely little crosses we all adore seeing (when they are colored correctly, of course). What impact does all that carnage have on the fight, apart from VPs?

1. They (wrecked vehicles) are likely on fire. That means:
a. Smoke that can obscure vision
b. Heat blooms that can obscure thermals
c. Heat blooms that can make it confusing to gunners using thermals
d. Heat sources that can melt ATGM guidance wires

2. Wrecked AFVs can offer cover

3. Wrecks not on fire can also offer concealment

4. Wrecks hinder movement. Enough burning wrecks in a 500 meter circle and you effectively have an obstacle.
Jeff
Sua Sponte
MikeGER

RE: Battlefield Clutter (Wrecks)

Post by MikeGER »

...i remember there was something about wrecks in the manual?
found it [:)]
A view from one hex to another is considered blocked if there is an
intervening elevation or if the accumulated visual clutter due to cover, wrecks,
and smoke along the LOS drops the visibility below 10% for most units.
so LOS is effected by 'crosses' [8D]

movement plenalty also, but its is not show factored-in with the 'Ctrl-M Move Checks'-overlay
...Traffic jams, wrecks, and engineering obstacles are not factored in (in the overlay-numbers display)
but that sentence make only sense if those indeed get used in the speed calculation of units traveling trough a hex 'with crosses'[8D]
cbelva

Post by cbelva »

ORIGINAL: MikeGER

...i remember there was something about wrecks in the manual?
found it [:)]
A view from one hex to another is considered blocked if there is an
intervening elevation or if the accumulated visual clutter due to cover, wrecks,
and smoke along the LOS drops the visibility below 10% for most units.
so LOS is effected by 'crosses' [8D]

movement plenalty also, but its is not show factored-in with the 'Ctrl-M Move Checks'-overlay
...Traffic jams, wrecks, and engineering obstacles are not factored in (in the overlay-numbers display)
but that sentence make only sense if those indeed get used in the speed calculation of units traveling trough a hex 'with crosses'[8D]
The Clt-M overlay does not show the factored in movement penalties. It only shows the base terrains movement factor.

One more thing the "little crosses" do. The AI takes the density of the little crosses into account when determining movement routes. Get too many crosses and the AI may decide to choose another route since the little crosses are indicative of a kill zone to the AI.
Charles Belva
On Target Simulations LLC
IronMikeGolf

Post by IronMikeGolf »

Thanks Mike, I missed those. I guess I'll make a scenario and see what's what.

My gut says once you have a company of dead tanks in a hex, you have an obstacle that needs breaching and it's likely that wire guided ATGMs will ground out. I say this from my experience firing TOW's at ranges littered with hulks of tanks and APCs, and those weren't on fire.

I've seen plenty of missiles ground out after passing over a range fire, which do not burn as hotly as ammo and a couple of hundred gallons of fuel.
Jeff
Sua Sponte
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Also, the ctrl-m function was dropped before release, but was left in the manual (my bad). As pointed out, they effect a number of things. We also hope one day to have them selectable in the post mortum to see how they died. Low on the list, but there.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

Return to “Requested Features and Ideas”