If Red Storm was ported to a board wargame, would you play it/buy it?

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin, IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian

hazmaxed

RE: If Red Storm was ported to a board wargame, would you play it/buy it?

Post by hazmaxed »

I voted possibly. It would have to have a turn sequence usable in a board game, though. Some form of "chit pull" system, I would expect.
There is no overkill. There is only "open fire" and "reloading."
tide1530

Post by tide1530 »

I voted sure. I still play my old Avalon Hill games also Academy Games and Lock'n Load games. I've wanted the MMP game Baltic Gap but that $70.00 price tag is still holding me back.
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

ORIGINAL: hazmaxed

I voted possibly. It would have to have a turn sequence usable in a board game, though. Some form of "chit pull" system, I would expect.

There have been asynchronous turns in a board game for more than 25 years now. It's not all that hard. There are several available at the moment that are very popular. Whatever mechanism that is used to have one sides order cycle different from the other. My own games use a random chit pull system. It's much easier to implement from a design stand point in a board game that it is in a computer game. The end results are much the same; exciting intense gaming experiences.

The reason for this thread is that we were approached to see if we would consider doing a boardgame version of FPC:RS. Among us we have a 'few' other game designs that are at various stages of development that 'could' be tied in with FPC:RS. While it may well be a diversion of resources, there are times when you need to step away from any project. Rob has been steadily coding FPC for about 8 years now. That's a lot of time on one project.

It's not that we 'need' something else to do but there are times when you need something a bit different on your mind. It's like fishing for bass at your favorite spot. You always go there. But one day, you go fishing for crappie instead with a couple of friends that invited you. You're still fishing but it's different. It's that kind of a thing. I was working on a boardgame project when I joined this one and it's fairly well advanced at this time.

We are not going to leave the computer gaming market to produce board games. However, the comment that board games are dead is completely false. By far more board wargames than computer games are sold every year.

Vassal/Skype have created the opponents needed part of the equation.

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
hazmaxed

Post by hazmaxed »

ORIGINAL: Tinkershuffle

There still is a shortfall of cold war gone hot boardgames, so I would most likely buy it. LnL's WaW series is a good one but the command/HQ mechanics are a bit incomplete in my opinion. Fix that and you got a winner. :)

LnL's WaW series is the most recent "cold war gone hot" board game that I'm aware of. There are lots of out-of-print titles out there, of varying scales (and quality).

Avalon Hill - MBT, Tac Air
GDW - Third World War series, Assault series, First Battles series
SPI - The Next War, Mech War 2, Mech War 77, Red Star/White Star, and a long list of others I can't remember
GMT - Crisis: Korea 1995 and it's redesign, Next War: Korea (it's actually newer than the WaW series, come to think of it)
76mm

Post by 76mm »

By far more board wargames than computer games are sold every year.

hmmm, wonder if that extends to number of games *played* every year. The fact is that for most people being able to fire up a computer game (even with a moderately competent AI) is vastly more convenient than scrounging around for an opponent, whether for the physical boardgame or its VASSAL equivalent.
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

ORIGINAL: 76mm
By far more board wargames than computer games are sold every year.

hmmm, wonder if that extends to number of games *played* every year. The fact is that for most people being able to fire up a computer game (even with a moderately competent AI) is vastly more convenient than scrounging around for an opponent, whether for the physical boardgame or its VASSAL equivalent.

Hard to say. Seems the same thing applies to computer games. Less that 40% of the games bought on Steam are played even once.

Why buy them if you aren't going to play them? Board games can be collected and played years later the same is not always true of computer games.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
bayonetbrant

Post by bayonetbrant »

ORIGINAL: Cafe

Board games are dead.

And yet globally they raked in over 1.8 billion in sales last year. [8|]
=+=+=+=+=
BayonetBrant
Editorial director ~ www.armchairdragoons.com
Host/Producter ~ Mentioned in Dispatches podcast
All around awesome dude & more handsome than I deserve to be with such a sparkling personality

bayonetbrant

Post by bayonetbrant »

ORIGINAL: hazmaxed
Avalon Hill - MBT, Tac Air
GDW - Third World War series, Assault series, First Battles series
SPI - The Next War, Mech War 2, Mech War 77, Red Star/White Star, and a long list of others I can't remember
GMT - Crisis: Korea 1995 and it's redesign, Next War: Korea (it's actually newer than the WaW series, come to think of it)

BGG, filters are "Modern Warfare" and "Hex and counter" in subdomain "wargames"

Once you get past page 2, you start getting all sorts of weird and off-the-wall stuff.
=+=+=+=+=
BayonetBrant
All around awesome dude & more handsome than I deserve to be with such a sparkling personality

TigerTC

Post by TigerTC »

ORIGINAL: grant1pa

I'm an old timer board gamer from the Squad Leader, Panzerblitz era. One of the problems I had then, and still have now, is opponents.

This is one of the reasons I've transitioned almost exclusively to computer wargames.

However, I'd be tempted to see this one put into a physical board format.

Grant1

I agree completely. I have a lot of wargames from the 1980s and 1990s, but no one to play them with.

I have just recently gotten into some miniatures with some friends (Sails of Glory and X-Wing). But boardgames suffer one huge drawback, especially at this level, that computer games are great at -- Fog of War.
demiller

Post by demiller »

ORIGINAL: bayonetbrant

ORIGINAL: Cafe

Board games are dead.

And yet globally they raked in over 1.8 billion in sales last year. [8|]

It's like a discussion like this summons you from some nether plane... [:D]
AKA panzerde
bayonetbrant

Post by bayonetbrant »

ORIGINAL: demiller
It's like a discussion like this summons you from some nether plane... [:D]

je suis sneaky like voodoo ninja, chef!

and what do you mean "from some nether plane"?! don't you mean "to this nether plane"? [:D]
=+=+=+=+=
BayonetBrant

hazmaxed

Post by hazmaxed »

ORIGINAL: bayonetbrant

BGG, filters are "Modern Warfare" and "Hex and counter" in subdomain "wargames"

Once you get past page 2, you start getting all sorts of weird and off-the-wall stuff.

Thanks for that link. After going through the 1st page (100 games?), I decided to count how many of them that I own, or did own at one time.

Forty-five [X(] Of those, I've played thirty-nine.
bayonetbrant

Post by bayonetbrant »

yeah, it's a LOT - but it also includes modern non-Cold War stuff, like the Middle East, so it may not be a 100% fit for what folks are looking for out of a "board game" version of FPCRS
=+=+=+=+=
BayonetBrant

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”