New Scenario for testing - Bomb Alley (Falklands War)

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

vettim89

New Scenario for testing - Bomb Alley (Falklands War)

Post by vettim89 »

Here is a scenario based on the events of 21 May 1982 which was the first and most intense day of action at San Carlos Water. Overlay included if you like. I put the difficulty at 5 which may be an understatement

Version 2 with changes to RN CAP including an event driven augmentation. This will likely make this scenario about impossible to win
Attachments
Bomb Alley..ay 1 (2).zip
(1.35 MiB) Downloaded 59 times
"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry
Patmanaut

RE: New Scenario for testing - Bomb Alley (Falklands War)

Post by Patmanaut »

Hi vettim

I have some suggestions that can improve your scenario:

1. Consider putting a TPS-43 radar close to Stanley. The FAA deployed one there that gave some early warning against mid and high altitude RN CAPs. (against low / very low flying aircraft it was a different story.)

2. The same goes for the British side, you can include a type 42 DDG as a GCI unit, complemented by a long range ground radar in Punta Arenas, Chile. As soon as the FAA / CANA aircraft took off they reached medium high altitudes to contact the tanker aircraft. This could be represented in the scenario by a trigger event that can deploy RN CAPs with a better interception timing.

my two cents.. Saludos
Patmanaut

Post by Patmanaut »

Edited. (accidentally duplicated post.)
vettim89

Post by vettim89 »

ORIGINAL: Patmanaut

Hi vettim

I have some suggestions that can improve your scenario:

1. Consider putting a TPS-43 radar close to Stanley. The FAA deployed one there that gave some early warning against mid and high altitude RN CAPs. (against low / very low flying aircraft it was a different story.)

2. The same goes for the British side, you can include a type 42 DDG as a GCI unit, complemented by a long range ground radar in Punta Arenas, Chile. As soon as the FAA / CANA aircraft took off they reached medium high altitudes to contact the tanker aircraft. This could be represented in the scenario by a trigger event that can deploy RN CAPs with a better interception timing.

my two cents.. Saludos

There is a Type 64 TF (Type 42 + Type 22)deployed NE of Pebble Island in its historical location. I don't know about the value of the Chilean radar as the Sea Harriers really didn't have the legs to go hunting inbound aircraft. Not sure a FAA radar at Puerto Argetino (Stanley) would do more than Team Guemes does for the FAA/COAN player as the Harriers would likely not be in radar coverage while over Falkland Sound. Also not sure if the knowledge of the Harrier locations would be of that much value to the Argentine player anyway as the only real chance for success is to just bore in low and fast and pray (as it was historically)

I will consider you suggestions before publishing the final version.

BTW, how did you do? I played the scenario extensively in my effort to get it right. Even as the scenario designer it is very difficult to get a victory. I discovered a few keys that I won't give away here as I don't want to spoil the fun
Patmanaut

Post by Patmanaut »

Hi

Although the Chilean radar wasn´t able to track the Argentine aircraft all the way to the archipelago, its informaion was actually used to tip off the exact time of departure of the attacks, so the short legged SeaHarrier CAPs were usually able to be at the right place close to the landing zone (You are right, the SHarrier range never allowed them to chase our planes on their way back, but the takeoff time information provided by the radar at Punta Arenas was crucial.) You can also accomplish this "take off alert" deploying an SAS/SBS forward observer unit close to the airbases.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/295165/chiles-valuable-role-falklands-war-john-osullivan

Please,don´t spoil the fun, keep up the good work!

Saludos

P
vettim89

Post by vettim89 »

Hi

Although the Chilean radar wasn´t able to track the Argentine aircraft all the way to the archipelago, its informaion was actually used to tip off the exact time of departure of the attacks, so the short legged SeaHarrier CAPs were usually able to be at the right place close to the landing zone (You are right, the SHarrier range never allowed them to chase our planes on their way back, but the takeoff time information provided by the radar at Punta Arenas was crucial.) You can also accomplish this "take off alert" deploying an SAS/SBS forward observer unit close to the airbases.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/295165/chiles-valuable-role-falklands-war-john-osullivan

Saludos

P

Well now you have me thinking about the Harrier CAP disposition. To be frank it is not very complex now being just a simple AAW patrol. Perhaps it could be augmented if a particularly heavy strike was detected. The problem is that the RN only had 28 Sea Harrier available and likely were not going to strip the carrier TF of fighter protection completely. Question then becomes how to implement it into the scenario. Will need to contemplate this for a while. Perhaps a base CAP plus an event triggered augmentation. In my play test the Harriers did a pretty good job of chewing up the FAA/COAN aircraft as it is.
vettim89

Post by vettim89 »

Hi

Saludos

P

Patmanaut I took your suggestions and tweaked the CAP a bit. One thing I did was split the base LZ CAP into multiple groups so they do not RTB (bingo) simultaneously as a group anymore which did create a small window of opportunity for the FAA/COAN. I also added a small CAP augmentation based upon detecting inbound FAA/COAN aircraft. BTW I did check and the Type 64 TF NE of Pebble Island is doing its job with nice raid detection of Inbound Argentine strikes

I did not include the Chilean radars as it would be about impossible to incorporate an Event driven response to FAA/COAN raid launches. If this scenario was playable as the RN side they would be very useful. It would not be a very fun scenario as RN though until the strike planning changes go live

This scenario is about ready to go and would love some feed back from the users
vettim89

Post by vettim89 »

Has anyone tried this scenario? I would like some feedback before I put it up for full realease
TheOriginalOverlord

Post by TheOriginalOverlord »

Just got this....it's been a while since I've had time to play...will let you know something soon!
Semper Fi!

Jeremy

TheOriginalOverlord

Ok initial report:

1 A4Q with 1000lb bomb is set to the tanker mission.
Also the Naval A4Qs should be using a 4x Mk82HD bomb instead of the 1000lb bomb. Note sure if that loadout exists but from what all I can find that is the "historical" load for the Navy A4Qs.

Daggers seemed to refuel from the KC-130...however the Daggers did not have ATA refuel ability.

Couldn't get the A4s to the target area as they RTB prior to getting there...even though they had tanker support. I had intended to do the hi-lo-hi mission profiles but I couldn't get it to work...

Of course that may be my settings....need to go back and read and make sure I'm not missing anything..

Managed to sink two LSLs and an Amazon with just the Pucara and MB.339s using SNEBs and Hydra rockets. The rockets seemed VERY effective...

Keep up the good work...I've always had a soft spot for the Falklands stuff...
Semper Fi!

Jeremy

vettim89

Post by vettim89 »

ORIGINAL: Overlord

Ok initial report:

1 A4Q with 1000lb bomb is set to the tanker mission.
Also the Naval A4Qs should be using a 4x Mk82HD bomb instead of the 1000lb bomb. Note sure if that loadout exists but from what all I can find that is the "historical" load for the Navy A4Qs.

Daggers seemed to refuel from the KC-130...however the Daggers did not have ATA refuel ability.

Couldn't get the A4s to the target area as they RTB prior to getting there...even though they had tanker support. I had intended to do the hi-lo-hi mission profiles but I couldn't get it to work...

Of course that may be my settings....need to go back and read and make sure I'm not missing anything..

Managed to sink two LSLs and an Amazon with just the Pucara and MB.339s using SNEBs and Hydra rockets. The rockets seemed VERY effective...

Keep up the good work...I've always had a soft spot for the Falklands stuff...

Will relook at the A-4 settings for tanking and load out. The Daggers can make it to San Carlos and back without refueling so you need to set them to "No REFUEL/UNREP" setting. In fact in my play test I set everybody to that setting and individually select planes/groups for refueling. You really need to creep the KC-135 close to West Falkland (which is historical BTW). The A-4's need to be handled with the utmost of micromanagement or, as I had previously warned, they will RTB (bingo) on you just a few miles short of the target every time. its kind of like herding cats

And yes, I took out Ardent every time with Pucura launched rockets in my play tests - they seem a bit over powered.
vettim89

Post by vettim89 »

You are correct that the one A-4 with a 1000lb bomb was set to the tanker mission. That is fixed. However that mission is set to "scrub if human player" so it only becomes an issue if you play in the Editor.

As to the A-4Q load out, the problem with switching to 500 lb bombs is you lose 40 nm in strike radius. As it is almost impossible to actually get the COAN aircraft over the bay as it is I am hesitant to alter that. I believe the Falkland load out was 4x Mk 82 vice the 8x Mk 82 the game gives us. I suspect that is the crux of it.
TheOriginalOverlord

OK..played it again and micromanaged the A-4s and did better this time...

Got a minor victory as I didn't get enough A-4s into the target area...I did goof a little on the refueling.

Managed to sink 5 of the LSLs and the sixth had heavy damage. Sunk the Type 21 by Goose Green. The Canberra, Brilliant and one other supply ship all took a 1000lb bomb into them. Brilliant was at 88% damage but didn't sink. [:(]

I do like how near misses can cause damage...one A-4 straddled the Yarmouth with 6 MK82s..all of which landed within 100 yds of the ship. The near misses caused flooding damage to it..cool!

Got a minor victory...
Semper Fi!

Jeremy

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”